Former AFLW #18 - Leah Cutting

3 Likes

…

Cutting arrives at The NEC Hangar from St Kilda, where she played seven games throughout Season Six before being placed on the inactive list due to work commitments.

At 185cm, Cutting is an athletic ruck with known for her aerobic ability to cover the ground.

Hailing from Adelaide, Cutting is also a SANFLW Premiership player, co-captain and SANFLW Team of the Year member.

…

AFLW List and Recruiting Manager Georgia Harvey welcomed the acquisition of both players to the Bombers.

“Leah is known for her athleticism, endurance and professional standards.”

2 Likes

Not the most impressive 50 game highlight package!

Stolen from the Saints website:

The final piece of St Kilda’s list puzzle for Season 2022, Leah Cutting made an immediate impact in her new colours.

The 185cm recruit from Norwood – who registered the fastest 2km time trial at this year’s South Australian combine – took charge of St Kilda’s ruck duties after making her debut in Round 1, only missing a handful of matches following a mid-season rib injury.

The former swimmer brought not only a wealth of experience to the Saints’ young line-up, but a decorated football resumé complete with Premiership, co-captaincy and SANFLW Team of the Year honours.

Unfortunately due to AFLW Season 7 being brought forward several months, Cutting was placed on the club’s inactive list due to work commitments.

1 Like

NORWOOD Premiership ruck Leah Cutting says it is a massive achievement in being one of the first women to reach the 50-game milestone at SANFL level.

Cutting and North Adelaide’s Leah Tynan will both share the milestone this weekend, as the Redlegs look to keep hold of top spot with a trip to Richmond on Saturday.

The 28-year-old will be the first-ever Norwood woman to reach the 50-game milestone after starting with the club in its inaugural 2017 season.

Cutting is a 2017 Premiership player and was voted Co-Captain with Bek McMahon in 2019.

A durable athlete, Cutting has not yet missed a game of football for Norwood which is a testament to her preparation as an athlete.

“It’s obviously a massive achievement for me and something I have had my sights on since the start of the year,” said Cutting.

“I was just hoping to get through the pre-season and see how the season shaped up, but it’s been fantastic so far and I’m really enjoying my footy this year.

“I think being involved from its inception in 2017, seeing the League develop with more teams and fantastic players, it’s been unreal.

“I’m stoked to have been able to play a part in that development process.”

Cutting said her mentality has shifted as the competition has become greater, which has seen more sides enter, with the quality of play at a higher level since 2017.

She also mentioned that as the years have progressed the team has had to work harder both on and off the field to develop and keep up with the growth of the competition.

“I think my focus has shifted as the competition has become more competitive,” said Cutting.

“When it first started, we took it very seriously but as the season’s progress, we have realised that this is such a strong League and to be able to keep up with it you need to be able to develop both on and off the field.

“I’m definitely trying to develop myself personally whether that be throughout the pre-season or during the season with the aim of working hard and becoming better in every single aspect of competitive footy.”

With working full time as a police officer and playing SANFL Football over the last five seasons, Cutting said the way the club makes her feel personally paying particular attention to her teammates, coaches, and support staff.

“For me, it’s the way the club makes me feel on a personal level,” she said.

“The players, coaching staff and support staff are family to me and that’s what drives me each and every day to come to training and then perform the best I can on the field.

“I try and keep myself accountable to do the team thing and bring out the best in everyone else around me as well.”

1 Like

Longer-form interview:

Stealing from spit BogFooty:

Cutting was invited to South Australia’s NAB AFLW Draft Combine, recording a 2km time trial of 7.56min to win the state’s run and finish second overall of participants from Queensland, Western Australia, Northern Territory and her home state.

Coming from a swimming background, she has been named in the SANFLW team of the year in 2018, 2019 and 2021. (Only played 4 matches in Covid 2020)

Named first ruck in a few SANFLW teams of year. A tackling machine.

Ex-swimmer, unsurprisingly ripped.

1 Like

High proportion of contested disposals.

Add Bella Clarke (I think; glimpses in #30) to the list of VFLW players also training with the AFLW. She was a train-on during last pre-season too.

She wasn’t an effective ruck, and while decent at ground level it seems they now prefer Matilda Dyke.

Did not get a single post in-season…

2 Likes