Former #28 -- Alastair Lord

Pick No.46: Alastair Lord

Line-breaking defender Alastair Lord dons the sash.

By essendonfc.com.au - Just now

Dashing defender Alastair Lord has received the best present on the eve of his 18th birthday, joining Essendon in the 2021 NAB AFL Draft.

The Norwood product arrives at the Bombers via pick No.46 - the club’s second selection.

A run-and-gun player who breaks the lines and uses the ball well, Lord averaged 22.4 disposals and 5.4 marks from his five SANFL matches this season.

Injuries limited his 2021 campaign, but Lord bounced back with a strong showing at the SA Draft Combine, recording the best agility test time (7.94 seconds) and the fifth-fastest 2km time trial (6.48 secs) of all players that took part in the Combine around the country.

General manager of list and recruiting Adrian Dodoro said Lord had plenty to offer across the ground.

“He’s a rebounding defender with terrific speed who uses the ball. We think he can play as a pressure forward, which is an area we’ve wanted to build on our list, so therefore we thought he’d be a really good pick,” Dodoro said.

“Despite the fact he had a couple of injuries this season, we tracked him all year and felt he’d be a terrific player for us.”

Lord joins Ben Hobbs (pick No.13) and Garrett McDonagh (50) as the Bombers’ 2021 national draft selections.

ALASTAIR LORD AT A GLANCE

Position: Small defender
Team: Norwood/South Australia
Height: 180cm
Weight: 76kg
DOB: November 26, 2003
Key strengths: Speed, ball use, line-breaking ability
Key stat: Averaged 22.4 disposals in SANFL under-18s this season

Expert view:

“He reads the play beautifully, runs and links up very well. He was super at this Combine with his agility and is among the best kicks in the country. That rebound ability and that dash, there’s a bit of Adam Saad about him. He’s another of those line-breaking defenders who can find the footy and intercept well.” - AFL talent ambassador Kevin Sheehan

—-

Clear need for us. It’s Nick Hind and then no one. Go well young Lordo!

16 Likes

Timmy Watson esq in that footage

1 Like

so he’s going to change clubs every 2-3 years

33 Likes

Something everyone keeps asking for.

2 Likes

So McGrath not going to hbf :sweat_smile:

6 Likes
11 Likes

Yeah I thought it was Judas that betrayed the lord

1 Like

Am catching up with news on Alastair. Sounds really promising with loads of ability & talent.
Congrats to him.

3 Likes

Fast, attacking and a great kick?

That’s bloody terrible !

7 Likes

giphy

3 Likes

How did he slip to 46, Jet!

1 Like

Small defender. Good agility and speed. Can kick. Excellent.

If he can actually defend, then I’m delighted.

5 Likes

Aceman said he was good at defending so that sounds promising.

3 Likes

“Couldn’t believe he slid through the injured list to our pick”

4 Likes

So…Lord & McDonagh, eh??
Wonder where Pidge will be playing…

Definitely fits a need and he looks a good player. Hope he gives it a good shake! :sunglasses::+1:

I, for one, welcome him.

3 Likes

No doubt this will cause some to choke on their Cornflakes but it seems, he won’t be playing as a back pocket. Maybe we’re better off with a talented player playing where the game is won, i.e. somewhere forward of the backline!

4 Likes

Those highlights are phenomenal. The fact he is literally just turning 18 now suggests he has real scope!

I know Disco looked annoyed but how many times have we “missed out” on a player we wanted, only to draft someone that actually turned out better…

7 Likes

Imagine if we drafted Sinn as well as Lord.

12 Likes