Left Essendon - Alex Morgan

Wasn’t he a Hawthorne supporter, maybe Jaegers doctor can take a look for us.

2 Likes

hope his body holds up so he can get at least a little bit of consistent footy. would like to see what hes actually capable of when hes up and about. his highlight vids pre-draft were amazing

2 Likes

This and the fact I thought he showed a bit in the VFL on the weekend. He really built off doing a couple of nice things the week before against Richmond and was noticeable early against Sandy. Obviously went off with the tightness but glad he’s ok.

1 Like

He won’t be fully delisted.
He’ll be dropped down to the rookie list first.

2 Likes

He will be fine, they will give him a run midsession and he will show a bit, his pace and kicking is perfect for the modern game.

So the Scarlett letter actually stood for ‘Alex’?

Will miss a month just in case

When does a player who’s ever constantly injured ever become useful? There arnt too many examples

2 Likes

Daniel Menzel has worked out for the Cats. Thats probably the most successful. Alex Johnson from Sydney has had a shocking run with injuries but the jury is still out on him. im sure theres a few more but those come to mind.

I think Cyril’s had about four hammies hasn’t he?

This weird looking dude from Canberra had a shocking run from about 1991 to 2004. Hip injury, stress fractures in his foot, hammies, broken face, I think a shoulder at one point. Not sure what ever happened to him.

6 Likes

The club like Alex’s speed, his disposal skills, and his footy smarts, but unfortunately his hammy problems are said to be back related. So whether he will come good in time (or at all) to stay on the list is the question. At present no one has the answer. Hope he does, he could be a real weapon if fully fit and firing.

4 Likes

He seems like the kinda kid you’d possibly look at with a later pick, or a rookie pick. I think a second round pick was pulling the trigger way too early on a kid who has a history of hamstrings and quitting footy once already.

2 Likes

By now we should be experts on back-related hammies with both Gumbleton and Winders.

3 Likes

Maybe we can trade him for the next Orazio

I reckon they must’ve been spooked that another club was going to take him. 3rd or 4th round seems about where he should’ve gone, 2nd round if he didn’t have the big question mark on his hammies.

That said, not many that went after him have done anything at all.
Selwood Mathieson at Brisbane, Marcus Adams (mature age Bulldogs KPD) and Darcy Tucker at Freo (who?) have played 10-15 games each; plus a few academy kids and F/S picks who we couldn’t get - other than that, nobody else has done anything until Mitch Brown (WSPHU) at pick 50-odd
So a gamble, but not one that’s really hurt us.

3 Likes

He’s a second year player. It’s a bit early to be considering him a failure, especially as the club have been open about taking a long term approach with his body.

Or making calls on anyone picked after him for that matter

1 Like

It is good news that both he and the club appear to be cautiously managing the situation to allow him to build fitness and game time/experience without tearing them apart like gumby did on several occasions.

i think the real key marker of success for him this year is to get him 2-3 games of AFL level footy and see what we have and if it is worth the long term effort to get him right.

If he doesn’t debut this year he’s fkd. If he spends the rest of the year in the injury room the club aren’t going to say “oh well we will go long term and give him another year.”

1 Like

The club was well aware of his hamstring issues when drafted and felt they could sort it out.
At this point it’s looking like they were incorrect. It’d be good to see him string together 8-10 games this year so he has an opportunity to show what he can do. I would not be putting my money on that happening unfortunately.