Left Essendon - Alex Morgan

I think you’ll find the last three years we have done well at draft or trade time. Not enough talent coming through yet

His hammy issues are not his biggest problem. His skills and athleticism are great, but he is too much of an outside player to make the cut from what I’ve seen. Very similar player to Dalgleish before him.

2 Likes

We’ve had a few pecks at this type of attacking HBF with pace and good kicking. Dalgleish recently, and currently McGrath (but in the future, midfield), McKenna and McNiece. You could also include Gleeson, although he has turned out to be less of a running attacking rebounder than maybe was hoped. Probably Hibberd is the same style of player.

After Kavanagh, it’s hard to believe Essendon would draft anyone else with know hamstring issues.

Doddoro has often been talking about how the science of drafting suggests the best players picked in the second round are more project type players. While I’m sure this is probably true, I just think we have overlooked some really quality non the less. Our second round drafting has been well below par, especially when you look at the success we continue to have later in the draft.

We genuinely haven’t picked a ‘best available’ player in the second round since Zac Merrett. While many will argue he wasn’t best available, the talk in this forum during draft time was very much about getting Zac.

History:
2010- Ariel Steinberg
2011- Jackson Merrett
2012- Jason Ashby
2013- Zac Merrett
2014- no second round selection
2015- Alex Morgan & Mason Redman
2016- Jordan Riddley & Josh Begley

1 Like

So much quality that was still there at those Morgan/Redman picks.
Not much faith in Morgan but hoping Redman becomes a player.

People continually forget that it’s about list management and not just an immediate need but years ahead.

Morgan was selected as he was probably the the best available HBF with pace and good skills, and the upside for him really was a lot. We needed his type. And still do.

Yes other quality players were missed but they were probably types of players we weren’t looking to address.

That said the Steinberg selection when Parker was there still and was highly touted, and we weren’t exactly blessed for inside mids still irks me. But that medium size marking X factor fwd that Stein was looking like being was still a need also.

1 Like

Someone mentioned on here that Masons “highly rated internally”. i dint know if that really transfers into being a gun player, but he could be taking longer to mature as a mid size forward. theyre not easy to find. from what i remember reading when he got drafted that he has a really strong work ethic.

1 Like

Yes that’s reputedly true.

As I said he was given a 2 yr extension only 3/4 the way through his first year after having done virtually nothing on match day(s) so he’s obviously showing a bit within the 4 walls.

KAV’s problem was hamstrings? Could’ve fooled me.

2 Likes

Did to work backwards until you got to 2009 and then think “Hmm, I might start this list at 2010?”

I agree the last two years have taken a strange direction, but they are still all on our list and still have a chance at being successful.

1 Like

Me too. I thought it was just an unfortunate case of ordinaryitis… Same thing that Daniel McAllister, Jason Ashby, Ariel Steinberg and Jake Melksham sadly had.

2008 - Zaka
2009 - Carlisle, Colyer
Three pretty decent second rounders there!

Although I will admit 2006 was a bust…

1 Like

Hey, you leave Tom Hislop out of this!

1 Like

I’m pretty sure they will, more likely 2.

This is only his 2nd year, very very very rare we cut anybody after 2 years.

1 Like

They will give him 2 more years even if he’s cooked all year?

Madness

There is no way he gets a 2yr extension. No other clubs would be after him and if he can’t get on the park next year then losses to be cut.

But knowing us we’d prob then rookie him.

By hamstring he means them not allowing him to move at more than a glacial pace and to kick poorly then yes, it was a hamstring issue.

St Kilda and Hawthorn have history of trading for crippled players who haven’t played for 2 years.

2 Likes

I don’t remember ever hearing a single suggestion that Kav was hindered by his hammies. He’s just another kid who never quite made the next step