Welcome to Essendon - Ben McKay

I thought it was Hannibal.

Who did he play for?

Carthaginians. They went well during the home and away season with the elephants on the wings, and during the gather round in Spain, but were overrun and destroyed by Rome in the home grand final.

7 Likes

How good is Sam Taylor.

1 Like

I actually rate Taylor above Rance as far as modern era defenders go.

1 Like

The intercept mark he took off McGrath’s kick to Perkins, which was as good as that kick could have possibly been hit, was just ridiculous.

3 Likes

I was dead against spending $$$ on another defender but if he was available at big $$$ I reckon you’d still take a bite even with our defensive stocks. He is best 10 players in the league good.

1 Like

Taylor, McKay and Ridley would be the sort of backline you could build a dynasty around.

3 Likes

Yeah. It’s hard to imagine not being a continual top 4 with that kind of combo

1 Like

If Reid comes good, well we might just have ours right there.

BTW … that Harris Andrews is an exciting back, and does well when sent into the CBAs.

When you think about it, it’s not really a terrible stat. If a great ball comes in to a FF, your more than likely not going to defend it. Majority of balls coming into 50m are defended by more than one defender. Pressure on the deliverer makes a great difference. So if you’re one-out and the delivery is good - winning 6 out of 10 is not terrible - just footy.

1 Like

Zerk is a good Defender when on their 2nd or 3rd forward. McKay is taking the best forward every week, whereas Zerk is picking up their 3rd best forward after Ratugolea and Aliir Aliir.

2 Likes

He’s not, though. He’s playing on the 1st or 2nd best, as they free Aliir up at every chance.

1 Like

I’m fairly sure McKay started last season pretty poorly in 1v1 (was about the same as Zerk) and worked himself back to around the key defender average.

If he does the same this year and the defensive system continues to hold up, especially if Ridley returns to his pre-injury self, we are going to be in very good shape.

1 Like

Los Angeles Underground

1 Like

3 Likes

Ben and Harry podcast is quite a good listen, moderated by their mum this week.
Harry comes off as a bit of a d!ck tbh.

1 Like

I always thought the Mediteranean League placed too many travel impositions on the north African teams…and WCE and Freo complain…trek over the Alps Princess

1 Like

Congratulations to Ben McKay who has doubled his win tally in one season with Essendon compared to his eight seasons at North Melbourne.

8 Likes