Welcome to Essendon - Ben McKay

thought there might have been a bit more talk about Ben keeping Harry to a single goal (free kick)

I dont think it a great game offensively, but defensively keeping a Coleman medal winning full foward to one goal is very admirable.

21 Likes

Agree. Ben has the brotherly bragging rights as of now!!

2 Likes

Can’t argue with keeping your direct opponent to a goal, it’s obvious job 1A as a defender but I can’t help but feel that he’s only just been going this last month. Which I guess is in step with the team as a whole. But even still, some guys have stood out during that time whereas it’s felt as though Ben has looked a bit plain and lethargic compared to his first 8-9 matches.
The bye should help.

9 Likes

Will help
He has had a big load

1 Like

Yes agree with that assessment. Hasn’t been able to take the big marks he was taking first 8-9 rounds

Ben clearly took the points but it was a non-event because the McKay brothers barely featured inside the fifty.

1 Like

Except that flog Robbie Williams just posted a song “we got the better McKay”

Wanker.

3 Likes

LOL, Bad timing by him. Doesn’t hold up after the weekend.

Robbie Williams should stick to writing ■■■■ pop songs…

1 Like

Harrys goal was from a bs free kick so Ben has the bragging rights

1 Like

you cant have bragging rights as a forward if you only kick 1 goal.

at the same time though, Ben did sweet FA as well.

nil all draw really.

Nah slightly better than Nil all draw…

McKay and Ridley kept Curnow and McKay to 3 goals, and we kept Cripps and Walsh to 22 + 19 disposals you probably think we win. Plus add in + 20 inside 50’s + 4 scoring shots + 10 free kicks, more disposals, hitouts, tackles.

On the blues side they kept Wright, Stringer and Langford to 1 goal and Merrett to 21 disposals.

3 Likes

bens entire job was to stop his brother, he did that, thats a win

Robbie Williams is dead to me !

2 Likes

Especially when “Harry the teaser” or as I’d refer “Harry the Wanker” claimed kicking 5 goals on Ben would be par

Probably should buy bobby hill a bottle of plonk for saving him from having mark of the year taken on him

1 Like

Dangerous bump

1 Like

Like when 2MP returned to the team and Jones essentially disappeared, this is what has happened to McKay once Ridley returned.

As much as having Ridley back is a good thing, it has turned McKay into a straight out stopper again. This isn’t necessarily a bad thing, but it’s clear Ridley and to an extent Laverde are the ones providing the drive, whilst McKay is now focused on stopping the big boys.

The Fark Carlton game showed how much our KPB’s have improved with McKay entering the team, but our mids/small defenders failed to contain goals from their opponents.

1 Like

This is the reason getting Reid fit is so important. McKay allows Ridley to be an interceptor in the same way Reid would allow McKay. I think the medium term strategy would be Reid taking the best forward, McKay taking second and Ridley third.

1 Like

I’m not holding my breath.

1 Like