#41 Ben McNiece - has been future endeavoured

McNice

Maybe we are picking up Setterfield, and needed a Mc for team balance.

Is a good VFL player. Plenty better than him and even more worse than him. Has not done enough to warrant a spot IMO.

Is a good VFL player. Plenty better than him and even more worse than him. Has not done enough to warrant a spot IMO.

No better prospects than him in our VFL side in my opinion.

Heppell? Anyway it’s irrelevant if they play for us or not.

Heppell? Anyway it's irrelevant if they play for us or not.
Fark Footscray.

I rate Ben as the most likely to go up to AFL level. Yes others had a better year but this kid always seems to have time and class. I knew 12 months ago Dodoro was a big rapt fotr him so not suprised he is training today.

Surely you mean besides Heppell?

Surely?

Rookie list eades mckernan mcneice and heppell

Delisted free agent Richards and Green

Don’t know if I’m imagining it or not but I remember seeing somewhere we considered rookie listing last year. I think it may have been an article in the Leader.

Jake Long says "What about me… It isn’t fair… "

Surely?

Heppell is the better performing player of the two at VFL level but that doesn’t necessarily mean he is a a better prospect to ‘make it’ at the next level up. McNiece has him for footskills and and slightly on pace.

I think you certainly look for translatable attributes rather than overall dominant performances when assessing players in state leagues. The two aren’t mutually exclusive of course.

I have doubts on both and hope (and expect) we genuinely are casting the net across all other VFL teams and other state leagues. If after all that we arrive at Heppell, McNiece, Holmes etc then great, at least we know more about their character which is a bonus.

Jake Long says "What about me… It isn’t fair… "

Would rather him over eades tbh

I thought he was promoted

Surely?

Heppell is the better performing player of the two at VFL level but that doesn’t necessarily mean he is a a better prospect to ‘make it’ at the next level up. McNiece has him for footskills and and slightly on pace.

I think you certainly look for translatable attributes rather than overall dominant performances when assessing players in state leagues. The two aren’t mutually exclusive of course.

I have doubts on both and hope (and expect) we genuinely are casting the net across all other VFL teams and other state leagues. If after all that we arrive at Heppell, McNiece, Holmes etc then great, at least we know more about their character which is a bonus.

“Translatable attributes” are why I’d have Heppell higher, or more likely to make the jump.

The extra pressure / intensity /speed / ferocity of senior footy will see him in his element. I wouldn’t necessarily say that about McNeice.

I’d also hope our rookie list isn’t just all EFC 2016 VFL players.

Surely?

“Translatable attributes” are why I’d have Heppell higher, or more likely to make the jump.

The extra pressure / intensity /speed / ferocity of senior footy will see him in his element. I wouldn’t necessarily say that about McNeice.

I’d also hope our rookie list isn’t just all EFC 2016 VFL players.

I’m not sure he’d necessarily appreciate the increase in speed of ball movement. His attitude is first class though, I agree with you there so I don’t think the physicality and additional pressure would hinder him. If anything, the opposite.

But most of the dominant VFL players over the last little while like Ben Jolley, Adam Marcon, Myles Sewell, Michael Gibbons etc would be ok in this area at the next level. Where they get exposed (or would likely get exposed) is with the speed of the game and a lack of consistency and penetration with their disposal.

Heppell wouldn’t be coming in to play an attacking role though. Sure, his lack of footspeed (is that a phrase, or did I just make that up?) will be an issue, although I don’t think it’s as bad as it initially seemed.

I have more faith in defensive / shut down players coming into senior footy late, than I do playmakers. Despite being (a fair bit) quicker, I think the speed of the game would catch out McNeice more than Heppell.

I don’t really rate McNeice that highly though, but as I’m not down watching VFL every single week, there’s a pretty good chance I’ve missed something with him. I just don’t see him making the jump, but I can see it with Hepps.

Heppell wouldn't be coming in to play an attacking role though. Sure, his lack of footspeed (is that a phrase, or did I just make that up?) will be an issue, although I don't think it's as bad as it initially seemed.

I have more faith in defensive / shut down players coming into senior footy late, than I do playmakers. Despite being (a fair bit) quicker, I think the speed of the game would catch out McNeice more than Heppell.

I don’t really rate McNeice that highly though, but as I’m not down watching VFL every single week, there’s a pretty good chance I’ve missed something with him. I just don’t see him making the jump, but I can see it with Hepps.

Fair enough

Anyway Houli, I’m not totally against the idea of putting McNeice on a rookie list, I was just trying to bait Windy Dill if I was being honest.

From our VFL list, I think Holmes, Ferry, Hepp A and McNiece could all step up to the next level. That’s not to say we shouldn’t be casting a wider net when it comes to state league talent. At 25 (in March 2017), it’s probably McNiece’s last chance to get on an AFL list.

Anyway Houli, I'm not totally against the idea of putting McNeice on a rookie list, I was just trying to bait Windy Dill if I was being honest.

Pretty much what Houli said. I don’t think Hep has any outstanding attributes for AFL. He’s basically an undersized, less skilled version of his brother. I don’t think he will get picked up.

McNiece on the other hand is an excellent kick. He can execute a low, hard pass which is pretty handy if you are trying to spot someone up inside 50. Also, he is able to execute that kick back into the corridor from defence.