#41 Ben McNiece - has been future endeavoured

FWIW, I think Aaron is quite a different player to Dyson.

Anyway Houli, I'm not totally against the idea of putting McNeice on a rookie list, I was just trying to bait Windy Dill if I was being honest.

Hahaha!!
Apologies for intervening :smiley:

I’m not really emotionially invested in us rookie-ing any of our VFL players to be honest.

Just purely for a laugh because he is an animal who belts kents I wouldn’t mind seeing Nash Holmes lol. Can he just handball to everyone? Lol

Anyway Houli, I'm not totally against the idea of putting McNeice on a rookie list, I was just trying to bait Windy Dill if I was being honest.

Pretty much what Houli said. I don’t think Hep has any outstanding attributes for AFL. He’s basically an undersized, less skilled version of his brother. I don’t think he will get picked up.

McNiece on the other hand is an excellent kick. He can execute a low, hard pass which is pretty handy if you are trying to spot someone up inside 50. Also, he is able to execute that kick back into the corridor from defence.

I agree on the McNeice being an excellent kick thing.

But disagree on the Heppell thing. Aside from having the same haircut and lack of foot speed, Aaron really isn’t anything like Dyson.

Pretty much what Houli said. I don’t think Hep has any outstanding attributes for AFL. He’s basically an undersized, less skilled version of his brother. I don’t think he will get picked up.

McNiece on the other hand is an excellent kick. He can execute a low, hard pass which is pretty handy if you are trying to spot someone up inside 50. Also, he is able to execute that kick back into the corridor from defence.

But disagree on the Heppell thing. Aside from having the same haircut and lack of foot speed, Aaron really isn’t anything like Dyson.

Where do you seen Aaron Hep playing at AFL level? Does he have the pace and agility to play on AFL quality small forwards? Does he have the tools to play midfield? I’m not sure he does.

Where do you seen Aaron Hep playing at AFL level? Does he have the pace and agility to play on AFL quality small forwards? Does he have the tools to play midfield? I’m not sure he does.

Aaron reminds me a lot of Aaron Young from Port Adelaide. His movement looks very unorthodox but he is effective and makes an impact. His effort makes up for any shortcomings. I don’t think anyone can say for sure how his game will translate on the big stage until he is given a go. I’m not advocating him being rookie listed but I’d be rapt for him if he was.

Aaron Young is a powerful and agile mid-sized forward. I don’t see any similarities to be honest other than that both players give supreme effort.

Yep, it is Hepp A’s effort that gives him a chance, he just does not give up on the contest even when well out of position. He loses very few contests at VFL level.

They pushed him through the midfield in the VFL towards the end of last year and he did well at that level. But it would surprise me if that is where he makes it at AFL level.

I like him very much as a back pocket. I do not know if he has the speed or agility to play that position at the highest level. But I do think it would be well worth putting him on the rookie list and letting him concentrate on it fulltime and see what he makes of it.

I do like the idea of upgrading one of our VFL players to our list each year. And if I had to pick one bloke to upgrade, it would be him.

Aaron’s position is back pocket, but back pockets at that level require better speed, agility and foot skills. I think he deserves a go, but his lack of AFL traits are a worry.

Yep, it is Hepp A's effort that gives him a chance, he just does not give up on the contest even when well out of position. He loses very few contests at VFL level.

They pushed him through the midfield in the VFL towards the end of last year and he did well at that level. But it would surprise me if that is where he makes it at AFL level.

I like him very much as a back pocket. I do not know if he has the speed or agility to play that position at the highest level. But I do think it would be well worth putting him on the rookie list and letting him concentrate on it fulltime and see what he makes of it.

I do like the idea of upgrading one of our VFL players to our list each year. And if I had to pick one bloke to upgrade, it would be him.

I’ve never seen him make a mistake. His kicking is not exactly natural but he always hits a target and makes the right decision. I’d definitely like to see him rookied. I don’t see why he couldn’t develop into a Baguley replacement as a pure shut down defender allowing Baguely to become a bit more offensive.

HepA is more than fine on the kicking skills part. Mostly short like TIPPA, but absolutely safe. He’s probably “just” a back pocket at AFL level, but you always need a couple of them!

I would love too see results on how his speed changed from the start of 2015 – it’s not just desperation, he definitely changed something mechanically.

Possibly been seeing the same biomechanics expert as his brother.

Is Mcniece just a slower version of Ricky Dyson?

As others have said, back pocket; Lock down role. And as far as list needs go, that’s a big one.

He might be able to eventually tag at AFL level, but that’s a ways off I’d think.

Aaron Young is a powerful and agile mid-sized forward. I don't see any similarities to be honest other than that both players give supreme effort.

What about their names? Their names are similar.

Also rate A. Hep. Hopefully can follow the trajectory of Nick Smith from the Swans. Has some comparable attributes, and Nick was drafted via the rookie list too.

Best hope for Heppell is lock down defender, which is a need. Doesnt look to have enough tricks to be a mid.

Not me, weird.

Ben McNeice, wow, Cat B rookie. Fantastic. What a clever piece of drafting that was by Jackets.

how is that allowed?

Jackets is one very clever List Manager, very smart bit of drafting to get a good player, not a project ! Fantastic news.