Ben Rutten - Back to the grindstone (Part 1)

I partially agree. Leading patterns makes things easier for the mids. But that means ■■■■ all when you got players like Colyer and Zaka even Heppell to an extent just blasting to the top of the square.

Strikes me as an old fashioned bi@tch slap. I like the statement.

If someone had said that Rutten was still on the Crows list, I’d have believed them. Had zero idea that he was at Richmond.

9 Likes

If he can make Grimes look like a barely passable footballer then I can’t wait to see what he can do with our back 6. I assume he will also be in charge of “defensive actions”?

Club is getting it skates on. Realised Worsfold is not so great on match day so gave him extra support there. Now got a defensive coach from a premiership team who built a large part of their success on defence. Good move

Needs to make Hurley a fkn beast again.

3 Likes

Excited to see what Rutten can bring. I expect a big improvement in body work in marking contests across the board. Strength of Richmond and a weakness for us.

Rutten is going to look like a genius next year with Francis blossoming and Gleeson back

2 Likes

Yep, two genuine gun AA KPBs, two hard running lockdown and attacking small defenders. Two great intercept and attacking through run and kicking medium and tall backs. As a backup he is going to have Ridley, Redman and Guelfi. Easiest job in the AFL.

2 Likes

If Hurley returns to his defensive best then maybe he is actually a genius

One of his profile pictures he’s starting to get a sweet Bartolo Colon look happening.
image image

2 Likes

I have a potted rosemary bush that looks like a genius next to Mark Harvey.

5 Likes

Did you pot rosemary’s bush

1 Like

Ohh err matron.

1 Like

So that’s what a colon looks like!

Dont be such an r.sole

1 Like

He went on a big diet and became a semi-Colon.

5 Likes

I will be surprised if Rutten becomes our defensive line coach. He will be looking to progress in his career. He will be like a senior assistant who oversees everything.

So yes he can help set up some structures. IMO he is unlikely to be coming here to just do what he was doing at the Tigers.

1 Like

It seems Worsfold will continue to develop more of a “matrix coaching” approach with the advent of Rutten.
Rutten will be overseeing the continued improvement of “team defence” , not just the back 6 but the whole team. So Ruttens role would overlay the “3 line” coaching model . But even the concept of a single line coach being responsible for each of the 3 lines is being blurred. No doubt, the collaboration of Skippy and Pops Kelly helped ramp up our stoppage and defensive midfield play significantly in 2018.

Somehow, it seems that Rutten will need to collaborate with the coaches of all 3 lines to integrate defensive play across all lines. So, while we might think that Rutten will be coaching the back 6, I think it’s more than that. Much more.

1 Like

Which I like the sound of. Continue with our improvement in this area and combine that with our menacing, probably unmatched pace and avenues of attack and you might end up creating a new kind of beast that’ll make Richmond look like a slight aberration. I’m prepared to be scared by my own team and look forward to awestruck whispering “…what have we done?”

7 Likes

… what have we done?

There is a membership slogan for the ages.

4 Likes