Welcome to Essendon - Caz & Cuz

Thank you Paul for posting. However reality is, it is too little too late. The club really needs to stop treating its members both like idiots and mushrooms.
It’s insulting.

1 Like
All that needed to be said - spin spin spin - hiding behind board confidentiality and the massaged press conference -

As for claiming to understand the anger and disappointment - laughable. Try absolute contempt for starters…

But the newbies have learned quickly in Little Pauly land - all the cliches and hand wringing rolled out at the right time , together with the voices of understanding at what a hard decision it was but you can’t go into it.

One term wonder speaks with LL tongue.

You couldn’t see decency past your own petulance.

Paul reads the thread turning towards not getting re-elected and then he posts… pretty simple politics really.

The board didn’t ‘vote’ to sack Hird… right but they just ratified the stitch up job. The board could have stepped up as ONE and told Hird to shove his ‘resignation’ up his ■■■ and that they supported him to stay the coach. The board could have said to Little and Xavier that a contract will be honoured and the ‘clear air’ will come after the WADA hearing in November.

The board COULD have shown a backbone… instead they ‘ratified’ a stitch up job without a blink of an eye. There is not a single soul, with a brain, that believes this was a real resignation so STOP treating us like idiots.

Hird came to his employers and asked whether they still believed in him… they told him that he was done… being the HONOURABLE man he is, Hird offers his resignation.

The club needed strong leadership to step in and tell Hird that they still supported him, instead the farce continued and now we continue without a coach, with an upset playing list… irate supports and no plan for the future… oh and guess what?? We still don’t have ‘clear air’ you idiots! So great work EFC, just brilliant.

Next time you white ant a champion… at least be honest about it.

1 Like
Paul reads the thread turning towards not getting re-elected and then he posts.. pretty simple politics really.

The board didn’t ‘vote’ to sack Hird… right but they just ratified the stitch up job. The board could have stepped up as ONE and told Hird to shove his ‘resignation’ up his ■■■ and that they supported him to stay the coach. The board could have said to Little and Xavier that a contract will be honoured and the ‘clear air’ will come after the WADA hearing in November.

The board COULD have shown a backbone… instead they ‘ratified’ a stitch up job without a blink of an eye. There is not a single soul, with a brain, that believes this was a real resignation so STOP treating us like idiots.

Hird came to his employers and asked whether they still believed in him… they told him that he was done… being the HONOURABLE man he is, Hird offers his resignation.

The club needed strong leadership to step in and tell Hird that they still supported him, instead the farce continued and now we continue without a coach, with an upset playing list… irate supports and no plan for the future… oh and guess what?? We still don’t have ‘clear air’ you idiots! So great work EFC, just brilliant.

Next time you white ant a champion… at least be honest about it.

While Paul was not part of the white anting (at least not when it started) this is absolutely something this board needs to be held accountable for. Hird was ostracised from the club even before his suspension ended & then you have the whole farce that was the B&F. If you can’t see how that would compromise the entire clubs 2015 performance then you are deluded. Without 110% support from the board we were doomed to fail in 2015 & I hold the board responsible for wasting this year.

1 Like

How can any of you claim to know every part of the story?

This place amazes me.
Hird tells you how it was. He’s spinning it for the sake of the club.
The CEO tells you the same as Hird. He’s spinning it too.
The chairman tells you the same thing. He to is spinning it.
The entire board tells you the same thing. They are spinning it as well.
A board member actually bothers to come here, but he tells you the same thing, so he’s spinning it too.
Maybe it’s about time some people had a look at the possibility that it is them doing the spinning, not Hird and the club.
Seems many have a predetermined position that regardless of anything they are told, will not change.
Seems to be lots of anger justification happening.
Lot’s of classic Caro.

This place amazes me. Hird tells you how it was. He's spinning it for the sake of the club. The CEO tells you the same as Hird. He's spinning it too. The chairman tells you the same thing. He to is spinning it. The entire board tells you the same thing. They are spinning it as well. A board member actually bothers to come here, but he tells you the same thing, so he's spinning it too. Maybe it's about time some people had a look at the possibility that it is them doing the spinning, not Hird and the club. Seems many have a predetermined position that regardless of anything they are told, will not change. Seems to be lots of anger justification happening. Lot's of classic Caro.

It’s the saga’s fault.
Seriously.
We have been trained into reading between lines, not believing what is being said to us, searching for hidden agendas and defending Hird to the hilt because the club wouldn’t do it for as long as we wanted to.

The only way people will change their minds on what happened is if Hird himself talks.
Even then, his words won’t be believed assuming he’s been muzzled or something else.

Swore I saw Hird at his own press conference when he resigned.

All that needed to be said - spin spin spin - hiding behind board confidentiality and the massaged press conference -

As for claiming to understand the anger and disappointment - laughable. Try absolute contempt for starters…

But the newbies have learned quickly in Little Pauly land - all the cliches and hand wringing rolled out at the right time , together with the voices of understanding at what a hard decision it was but you can’t go into it.

One term wonder speaks with LL tongue.

You couldn’t see decency past your own petulance.

Maybe so but I can smell BS a mile away.

It’s a pretty common thing for an employer to inform an employee that there is no future in the current situation, most often resulting in a resignation. To one person it looks like a push out the door, to another it looks like a mutually agreed end. I suspect James is a proud man who will always say he resigned. I also suspect that the Board will no shy away from claiming strong leadership in bringing the situation to a head.

Regardless of how we got here, no one could reasonably say that club is in good shape given the performance by the team. Honestly, Hird looked cooked as well. Something had to give, and it did.

Thanks for coming back and posting Paul.

Geez its a mixed bag on here, but i think the general consensus is that we are all fearful of what the future holds. For too long the EFC have appeared to happy to glide along content with our success through the 80s, 90s and 2000. Those credits in the bank have long since gone, we need to see a direction and planning that consists of a strong resolve to get it done.

Our most recent Plan A has fallen and been smashed to peices, thats a topic that has been covered in so many forums that im not going to mention it further other than to say i still haven’t watched Jim’s press conference which is how disappointing that mess is.

I hope that the members forum to be held shortly is an open forum and many of the questions raised can be addressed or answered with full disclosure. (i say addresed as some may not be able to be answered which i understand).

Like all of us in here we love the club, the SAGA has tested our metal, and what we need is to build a new (renew) culture, mindset and brand.

Non negotiable is a board and management that is united, strong. A coach who is open, honest and above all things strong in their conviction to build a great team, no passenger’s, no compromise on an attacking, successful hard nosed approach to the game and a desire to get the Red and Black to being a club that is revered, respected & hated (for their success).

Paul i wish you success on the Board, i have no doubt you want all of the above, however if you have any doubts in your ability to deliver the above then i expect you will not be standing again, as we cannot afford passengers anymore and this starts at the top right where u now sit. I hope this same approach and appreciation of whats required from NOW on is common on our Board, if its not these parties should step aside and let those that do start doing what required.

No more living in the past and its time for the future. There must be no compromise, no more excuses!

So here’s where I really can’t understand some peoples point of view. You either accept Hird told the truth, or you call him a liar because you support him…?

This place amazes me. Hird tells you how it was. He's spinning it for the sake of the club. The CEO tells you the same as Hird. He's spinning it too. The chairman tells you the same thing. He to is spinning it. The entire board tells you the same thing. They are spinning it as well. A board member actually bothers to come here, but he tells you the same thing, so he's spinning it too. Maybe it's about time some people had a look at the possibility that it is them doing the spinning, not Hird and the club. Seems many have a predetermined position that regardless of anything they are told, will not change. Seems to be lots of anger justification happening. Lot's of classic Caro.

Not a matter of a predetermined position and not a matter of “classic Caro”. It’s a matter of already being completely ■■■■■■ off with a board that showed zero support for Hird while he was away, presided over the Crichton medal fiasco when he came back, and expects us to believe their confected spin now.
As I said before, about time the board stopped treating the members like idiots, producing inane media releases that say nothing. I don’t trust any of them to tell truth nor to be honest about anything. The really sad part is I think I there are a lot of others who hold the board in the same low regard. Not good for our club, anyway you look at it.

So here’s where I really can’t understand some peoples point of view. You either accept Hird told the truth, or you call him a liar because you support him…?

“We are all liars now” - Milton Friedman

Not a matter of a predetermined position and not a matter of “classic Caro”. It’s a matter of already being completely ■■■■■■ off with a board that showed zero support for Hird while he was away, presided over the Crichton medal fiasco when he came back, and expects us to believe their confected spin now.
As I said before, about time the board stopped treating the members like idiots, producing inane media releases that say nothing. I don’t trust any of them to tell truth nor to be honest about anything. The really sad part is I think I there are a lot of others who hold the board in the same low regard. Not good for our club, anyway you look at it.

Good point. Nobody has ever answered for the Crichton Medal thingy. Until board members fess up about that (not on Paul’s head though obviously, or Katie’s for that matter) intelligent people should remain skeptical about everything the board says and does.

why is that so hard to believe?

club initiates review at about the same time hirdy asks him whether his position is still viable, club decides is isnt, soon after club releases statement saying review is nearing completion

why would the club want to for a second admit they sacked him, if indeed they did sack him?

i honestly dont know what happened, ill take the club people at their face value, but its not that unimaginable that they are all spinning it to pull a single company line…

http://cdn.makeagif.com/media/9-05-2015/f7zezZ.gif

“Not like that.”

Zero support for Hird while he was away…well apart from paying his salary, and his school fees

Chrichton Medal Debacle - no argument from me there…except maybe debacle isn’t a strong enough word

So what I’d like to hear…from you and everyone else …is what you would have done differently…to make it easy I’ll be specific

1 How would you change the way the club communicates with members

1. How would you have communicated Hirds resignation, considering Hird himself spun it that way?

2. What impediments, if any, do you believe The AFL place on boards communications and how would you get around those?

3. How important do you believe confidentiality is at board level?

4. Do you believe Commecial in Confidence rules apply to board dealings and if so how would you navigate around those to achieve transparency?

That will do for a start.

If you’re not a banana you’re an orange.