Welcome to Essendon - Caz & Cuz

IMO Hird was pushed no question. However his resolve had obviously waned and his confidence in turning the team around (otherwise “pushing” would have been met with steely resolve). He agreed for the benefit of the club, players, all round unity he would resign as long as the board agreed to pay him out.

I'm not connected ...but

No
No
No

But to be fair you framed the questions in a way that no other response is possible

In return I have a question…

Do you believe this decision making process was more complex than ‘what the coach wants’

Which question is there no other response possible, did Hird resign?
Why won’t you believe us when we say ‘Nothing to do with us?’
That we supported James all the way, it’s just what he thought was best?

Was the decision more complex than that?
From how it looks like to me, yes and no.
Yes it was, no it never had to be.

Edit: But i do thank you for your honest appraisal.

Ummm I may be going mad but are those are completely different questions to the ones you originally asked?

Possibly you’re going mad, because they are the same questions reframed.

Umm no they’re not…but no matter I’ll also answer these ones…probably requires a little more input than a yes or no though :slight_smile:

Did Hird resign?

Yes I believe he did. Why? Because he told us he did. I do believe there is far more to it, I think we may have gotten a hint of it over the year but paid little heed. Bottom line for me, if James wants history to show that he resigned as Essendon coach then who am I to argue.

I think this also answers 2 and 3

Hird was pushed no question. However his resolve had obviously waned and his confidence in turning the team around (otherwise "pushing" would have been met with steely resolve). He agreed for the benefit of the club, players, all round unity he would resign as long as the board agreed to pay him out.

It’s pretty obvious surely.

I have issues with your second sentence.
I reckon, and it’s purely an I reckon mind, that if you asked Hird whether his resolve and confidence in turning the team around had waned, in private company he’d tell you, ‘fark, no.’

Hird was pushed no question. However his resolve had obviously waned and his confidence in turning the team around (otherwise "pushing" would have been met with steely resolve). He agreed for the benefit of the club, players, all round unity he would resign as long as the board agreed to pay him out.

I reckon, and it’s purely an I reckon mind, that if you asked Hird whether his resolve and confidence in turning the team around had waned, in private company he’d tell you, ‘fark, no.’

Wonder what the answer would have been had you asked the players the exact same question

Wonder what the answer would have been had you asked the players the exact same question

Wonder what Little’s wife would say if you asked whether Little cross-dressed.

Hird was pushed no question. However his resolve had obviously waned and his I confidence in turning the team around (otherwise "pushing" would have been met with steely resolve). He agreed for the benefit of the club, players, all round unity he would resign as long as the board agreed to pay him out.

Lolz…weird response.

I was actually asking a serious question.

Hird was pushed no question. However his resolve had obviously waned and his I confidence in turning the team around (otherwise "pushing" would have been met with steely resolve). He agreed for the benefit of the club, players, all round unity he would resign as long as the board agreed to pay him out.

Lolz…weird response.

No, you were casting aspersions based on nothing with no personal stake.
Easy, cost-free, and fun if you have an imagination.

Lolz…weird response.

No. I was asking a question based on what has been said over the year James himself, by Goddard, and again on Thursday night by Heppell.

May be right…may be wrong, but it certainly deserves consideration.

I think that if the board had totally unambiguously, and openly supported Hird throughout this protracted saga the club would have been in a far better position on the ladder than it now is. By not showing total support they have given the public, EFC supporter and more significantly the PLAYERS the feeling that Hird was not wanted as coach of the team.
The lack of support has been absent throughout and made especially clear at the last Crighton function.

Lolz…weird response.

No. I was asking a question based on what has been said over the year James himself, by Goddard, and again on Thursday night by Heppell.

I wonder how much Paul was paid by the AFL to sack Hird.
Not my opinion, of course, but we must consider it.

Fair enough, but it’s the only reason I see him resigning or at least appearing to resign.

Fair enough, but it’s the only reason I see him resigning or at least appearing to resign.

Fair enough.
I can imagine other reasons.
I’m an imaginative guy.

Lolz…weird response.

If true you should do more than consider it

But hey…it’s obvious you’re not willing for a discussion that doesn’t fit with whatever you believe happened.

Okay, I'll throw this further than Paul. To the connected. Reboot, Riolio, anyone else who 'hears things' and doesn't understand people's scepticism.

Do you think James felt he had nothing more to offer as coach of Essendon?
Do you believe it was James’ preference to not be coach of Essendon?
Do you believe that by accepting his resignation you were just complying with what James wanted?

Give me three yes’s and I swear I’ll take your word for it.

But like a lot of other people here, I’m not going to cop statements framed just so.
Or, you know, don’t.
But if not then stop with the whole ‘I can’t understand it…’ garbage.

I’m not connected with anyone at the club, but I’m connected enough with common sense to know that your questions show that you have no idea.

No, I don’t think that James Hird felt he had nothing more to offer as coach of Essendon. But I do think that he realised that the interests of the club might be better served if he offered to resign. And I also think that just maybe he might have had some doubts about whether he really was as good a coach as he hoped he was.

Do I believe it was James’ preference not to be coach of Essendon? See previous answer, because it’s at bottom the same question.

Do I believe that by accepting, etc? Well, I didn’t accept anybody’s resignation, but if I had been on the Board I would have tried to look at the situation as objectively as I could, and the question I would have asked myself would have been what was in the best interests of the club. I would have thought about loyalty to James Hird, I would have thought about the true extent of his responsibility for the mess we were in, and I would have thought about how much the club owed him for everything he’s given it, but I would still have asked that fundamental question about the best interests of the club. And I would have taken into account the fact that for a large part of this season James Hird looked as if he had run out of ideas about how to turn around the on-field performance. And I would have accepted James Hird’s offer to resign.

Lolz…weird response.

But hey…it’s obvious you’re not willing for a discussion that doesn’t fit with whatever you believe happened.

I’m always willing to discuss things honestly.
If you think Hird lost the players then say so. Say, ‘I think Hird lost the players.’
I like you, Darli. And I think you’re better than this ‘I wonder…’ crap.

I don’t know what happened.
I farking know it’s not what’s being said though.
Because I’m not farking four.

Okay, I'll throw this further than Paul. To the connected. Reboot, Riolio, anyone else who 'hears things' and doesn't understand people's scepticism.

Do you think James felt he had nothing more to offer as coach of Essendon?
Do you believe it was James’ preference to not be coach of Essendon?
Do you believe that by accepting his resignation you were just complying with what James wanted?

Give me three yes’s and I swear I’ll take your word for it.

But like a lot of other people here, I’m not going to cop statements framed just so.
Or, you know, don’t.
But if not then stop with the whole ‘I can’t understand it…’ garbage.

I’m not connected with anyone at the club, but I’m connected enough with common sense to know that uour questions show that you have no idea.

Mutual.
Why bother with the rest after that?

Lolz…weird response.

I’m always willing to discuss things honestly.
If you think Hird lost the players then say so. Say, ‘I think Hird lost the players.’
I like you, Darli. And I think you’re better than this ‘I wonder…’ crap.

I don’t know what happened.
I farking know it’s not what’s being said though.
Because I’m not farking four.

I don’t know if Hird lost the players…I don’t know what happened.

But surely, given what’s been said throughout the year it has to be a least a consideration.

My personal thoughts are that it was many things, a perfect storm if you like. And it broke my heart.

Look if people want to believe Hird resigned purely by his choice & the board didn’t undermine or pressure him throughout the saga then that’s their decision. I think those people are deluded & that’s my decision. Most of the same people were defending the club when they self reported, then they defended the releasing of the ziggy, defended Evans & defended Little through all of the poor & downright disastrous decisions the club has made. Basically some people will unquestioningly defend anything the club does (just as some do the same with Hird). I get that there has to be an official party line & it can’t be “we once again caved into the AFL & media’s wishes & sacked our coach” but what I don’t get is why some here think we should all swallow it like gospel.

I do think that so much has been said by those advising us on the saga with the truth, half truths, lies and inuendo that most have forgotton whats been said previously.
Going around in circles, time to move forward Folks

Regardless of the hird dismissal, i think we as the fans/members/supporters/the odd good coterie group member deserve better than to be lead around by these self serving wankers on the board.