Welcome to Essendon - Caz & Cuz

So you only think he looked past it at the presser? Thought he looked fried for weeks.

And again, given how seemingly AOK the players are with the decision, how does that square with the view that he should’ve been kept and supported until … when?

Looked fried for two weeks before the press conference.
What’s the timeline again?

And screw this strawman ‘should have been kept forever no matter what.’
No-one’s saying that. No-one.

Should have seen out his contract? Sure.
Should have been given a chance to coach without the WADA sword of Damocles? Of farking course.
Should have kept one single skerrick of dignity? Would have been nice.

Edit: But you know what? All of that is peripheral.
It’s a discussion for another thread and you’ve sucked me into it here.

This thread, is about the board, and their involvement, and what happened, and what is absolute farking bullshit being fed to the plebs and what isn’t. It’s about weasel words and dodging responsibility.

You've doled out a fair bit of bull excrement yourself but just don't realize it.
Hi All,

Firstly wanted to say to those who I’ve seen asking that I’ve been reading here since a day or two after Hirdy’s press conference, pretty sure I made it through everything other than the middle part of the massive thread. Actually I’ve been reading all season, though I did have to track down some login details to post this.
I’ve seen some support which I really appreciate, plenty of disappointment, some anger. I understand the anger and disappointment, I have enormous respect for Hirdy both as a person and as a coach and certainly it’s been a very hard and sad week or two for our club. That said it’s important to know that James isn’t lost to the club, he’ll forever be a legend of it and I’m sure after some time away with his family he’ll be back around the place.

As I stated many times when asked early in this thread (prior to the election) I strongly believe that confidential board discussion and deliberation MUST remain private, and that we can’t very well bemoan leaks on some things and demand them on others. I take my responsibility to the club and the board extremely seriously, if you read the early part of this thread that is seemingly important to a lot of posters on here too. So for those asking for specific details and explanations beyond what was spoken about a couple of weeks ago I’m sorry but all I can really do is reiterate what James and Paul talked about in the press conference and what James spoke about in his video to members; that after lengthy discussions between James, Xavier and Paul over the course of a month on what was best for the players and the club moving forward Paul eventually provisionally accepted James’ offer to resign - which the Board then ratified. There was never a Board vote to sack James, the board voted on the decision to ratify the acceptance of James’ resignation.
I realise coming here with few answers might frustrate some further and that’s part of the reason I haven’t posted before now, but I thought it was important anyway. I love the club, as do the rest of the board. These aren’t faceless people, they are all time Bomber legends who helped build the club like Simon Madden, premiership players like Chris Heffernan, people who have been around the club much of their lives like Daryl Jackson and so on; supporters who like me have loved the club from first memory and would only ever try to act in its best interests. We bleed with every loss and fly with every win just like most who post here.

I’m sorry if some who voted for me feel let down but in my time as a Director I’ve only ever tried to act in the best interests of the Club and our Members, I’ll continue to do that for as long as I’m on the Board. Thanks again to those who’ve offered support, I hope you stick with the club as I really believe we’ve got a lot to look forward to.

At the end of the day Paul, you can’t actually say anything other than the usual rah rah love of the club, sanctity of the board bullshit so why even bother?

The board you are now a part of are ultimately responsible for everything, EVERYTHING, that has happened from 2012 onwards.

Chris Heffernan? What the ■■■■ was he doing in 2012 to ensure these catastrophic breaches of ‘governance’ could not take place? How about ‘Paul’? or Daryl ■■■■■■■ Jackson? They were all asleep at the ■■■■■■■ wheel and that is what has led us to right here and now and you think that spouting some love of the club bullshit absolves them of their complete and utter failure?

James has had his reputation and very nearly his life, absolutely destroyed. The smear campaign against him is something the worst murderers, rapists and paedophiles in history would have been protected from and yet he was left on his own to twist in the wind.

Back our boys right?

The players missed out on finals, James was smashed from pillar to post and other staff were fined and suspended.

The members of the board remaining from pre-2012 got off scot free though didn’t they? Not responsible for any of it right?

Did they get fines? Were they suspended? Did they have their reputations trashed and endure never ending public character assassination in every media forum available?

To hide behind James Hird like you have, and from where many of us stand it looks like the board have been more than content to remain behind him, letting him take the heat for everything, , is absolutely shameful. None of you offered him even a modicum of public support when it actually mattered. The media have been gunning for him, absolutely terrorising him for the last 3 years, and where the ■■■■ have you and your mates been? Working on your ■■■■■■■ mime act?

The board have consistently hung him out to dry through its ■■■■■■■ pathetic and impotent approach to the whole ■■■■■■■ fiasco.

It doesn’t matter whether you’d been there 3 months or 3 years ALL OF YOU had a responsibility to publicly defend James when it mattered.

You failed miserably.

Instead you tacitly supported the AFL’s vendetta against him by doing absolutely nothing. You think we haven’t noticed the board happily remaining silent whilst the press and public and even the AFL continued to to slander him? You think we haven’t noticed that the board have been perfectly happy to let James be painted as the villain? To have the blame laid entirely at his feet?

You think we don’t understand that the environment the board allowed to fester by its inaction would have had a direct impact on the players?

On certain players opinions of the whole matter and of James as coach. You don’t think James would have been worn down by the continued isolation and the lack of support?

The clubs actions and its inaction took the fight out of everyone. The coach, the players and most of the people that sign up year after year, putting up with the EFC board’s continual failures spanning more than a decade now.

Oh look, James decided to offer his resignation, that’s convenient for the board isn’t it?

A nice neat little package of blame that you can distance the club from the minute he is gone.

Do you know what constructive dismissal is?

How about workplace bullying?

When a senior AFL figure mentioned a few weeks ago, in an AFL forum no less, that the first step to Essendon moving forward was to ‘get rid of Hird for a start’, where was the ■■■■■■■ response from the board? You just let club employees be bullied and ostracised like that do you?

You’re a bunch of ■■■■■■■ cowards, the lot of you.

James Hird is the only ■■■■■■■ reason you got onto the board in the first place. Someone gave you the forum and you capitalised by campaigning on a platform of implicit support for James knowing full well that was exactly what a significant number of voting members wanted.

To Stand by Hird. Do you even remember what that was about? Hint: It wasn’t about James remaining as coach and if you think it was then you missed the point of the whole member driven demonstration of support.

Chose your words carefully though didn’t you?

You can put your ■■■■■■■ ‘James resigned/I can only re-iterate what was said at the press conference’ company-line bullshit back in your ■■■■■■■ kit bag too. Did he ‘offer to resign’ before the Crichton last year as well? ■■■■ off.

Constructive dismissal. Look it up.

If you all supported him both privately and publicly as and when you should’ve we wouldn’t be here.

Some on this site might want to shower you with praise for finally showing your face and that probably makes you feel good, but let’s be clear on this, as you’ve inferred yourself, when it comes to board matters, it’s one in all in right?

Solidarity. A united front and all that.

Good.

Because the failure belongs to every single one of you.

You and the rest of the board have an absolute fuckload to answer for after running James Hird, the players and this once great club into the ■■■■■■■ ground.

So you only think he looked past it at the presser? Thought he looked fried for weeks.

And again, given how seemingly AOK the players are with the decision, how does that square with the view that he should’ve been kept and supported until … when?

Should have been given a chance to coach without the WADA sword of Damocles? Of farking course.

This thread, is about the board, and their involvement, and what happened, and what is absolute farking bullshit being fed to the plebs and what isn’t. It’s about weasel words and dodging responsibility.

You've doled out a fair bit of bull excrement yourself but just don't realize it.

Thanks for your contribution.
Illuminating as always.

The board on behalf of the AFL specifically asked for this thread to be gurged.
Mr Little will explain in an open letter to the members.

Never once criticised them.

That’s the path the thread was taking though, and we can’t have that.

The board on behalf of the AFL specifically asked for this thread to be gurged. Mr Little will explain in an open letter to the members.

they don’t ask, they tell lizzy to deal with it.

Well, I think the board accepted HIRD’S resignation. Guess we’ll just continue to disagree then Wim.

Could the board have done more sooner? Perhaps. They did support him for the last two years as well, though.

Id say there’s as much real evidence of Little being an AFL STOOGE as there is of him WHITE ANTING Hird.

Well, I think the board accepted HIRD'S resignation. Guess we'll just continue to disagree then Wim.

Could the board have done more sooner? Perhaps. They did support him for the last two years as well, though.

Id say there’s as much real evidence of Little being an AFL STOOGE as there is of him WHITE ANTING Hird.

No need to get mad.
No need for yelly caps.

Little’s an AFL stooge? That might be an answer to someone else’s post, it’s certainly not anything to do with mine.

I just asked three little questions, and we agree on one, just differ on the context.
You wanna give the bat and ball back now, or are you intent on going home?

Illuminating as always.

Indeed. Anyone who keeps mouthing off they’re done and dusted, and their work is done, yet still treads the boards, is guilty of the same ■■■■ they accuse the EFC board of. It’s very weasely and hypocritical.

Illuminating as always.

Indeed. Anyone who keeps mouthing off they’re done and dusted, and their work is done, yet still treads the boards, is guilty of the same ■■■■ they accuse the EFC board of. It’s very weasely and hypocritical.

Shh. Grown-ups are talking.

Okay, I'll throw this further than Paul. To the connected. Reboot, Riolio, anyone else who 'hears things' and doesn't understand people's scepticism.

Do you think James felt he had nothing more to offer as coach of Essendon?
Do you believe it was James’ preference to not be coach of Essendon?
Do you believe that by accepting his resignation you were just complying with what James wanted?

Give me three yes’s and I swear I’ll take your word for it.

But like a lot of other people here, I’m not going to cop statements framed just so.
Or, you know, don’t.
But if not then stop with the whole ‘I can’t understand it…’ garbage.

I’m not connected with anyone at the club, but I’m connected enough with common sense to know that uour questions show that you have no idea.

Mutual.
Why bother with the rest after that?

Ah, well. I should have realised it was pointless to try and reason with a closed mind.

Good job the thread has been gurged.

S10, I’m not going to engage significantly with anyone who opens with ‘You’re a moron.’
You have a right to your opinion, but if you can’t accept that it colours everything you write after that then you truly are the moron.

I said you had no idea because all of the questions you asked were basically irrelevant to anything to do with the coaching position. To read what you and many others are posting, anyone would think that the club had only existed since 1992 and that its name was the James Hird Club and its sole purpose was to do what James Hird wanted.

James Hird was a great club champion player, worthy of being spoken of together with ■■■■ Reynolds and John Coleman and Bill Hutchison. But not even James Hird would think for an instant that his personal interests and desires were more important than the interests of the club.

Yet all three of your questions assume that the members of the Board, including its Chairman Paul Little and the CEO Xavier Campbell, should only have considered James Hird’s wishes in deciding whether or not to accept his resignation.

Did he think he had nothing left to offer? Probably not, but I don’t doubt that he was sensible enough to realise that whatever he was offering was not working. And I don’t doubt that when he made the offer to resign he wasn’t thinking about whether he personally thought he had anything left to offer, but was putting the interests of the club above his own. (And I also think that your statement that he had a standing offer to resign from the time of his appointment is silly. Sorry, but it is.)

Was it his preference not to be coach of Essendon? Personally I think that probably was his preference, judging by how he had looked for the past couple of months and how he looked when it was finally all over. And I won’t say his preference was totally irrelevant to the Board’s decision, but it was no more than a minor factor in consideration of the question that really mattered, which was what was best for the club.

Did the Board think it was complying with his wishes? Well, yes, actually, because I think that he wanted the Board to do what they believed was best for the club.

So that’s why I said your questions showed you had no idea. Sorry if it offended you. But I think there may have been occasions when you yourself have been strongly critical of an individual’s posts.

Illuminating as always.

Oh I forgot, you’re not farking four.

Illuminating as always.

Shh. You’re adding nothing.
Just listen until you have something to contribute.

■■■■ me. No wonder the thread was gurged.

Okay, I'll throw this further than Paul. To the connected. Reboot, Riolio, anyone else who 'hears things' and doesn't understand people's scepticism.

Do you believe that by accepting his resignation you were just complying with what James wanted?

But like a lot of other people here, I’m not going to cop statements framed just so.
Or, you know, don’t.

I’m not connected with anyone at the club, but I’m connected enough with common sense to know that uour questions show that you have no idea.

Mutual.

Ah, well. I should have realised it was pointless to try and reason with a closed mind.

S10, I’m not going to engage significantly with anyone who opens with ‘You’re a moron.’
You have a right to your opinion, but if you can’t accept that it colours everything you write after that then you truly are the moron.

I said you had no idea because all of the questions you asked were basically irrelevant to anything to do with the coaching position. To read what you and many others are posting, anyone would think that the club had only existed since 1992 and that its name was the James Hird Club and its sole purpose was to do what James Hird wanted.

James Hird was a great club champion player, worthy of being spoken of together with ■■■■ Reynolds and John Coleman and Bill Hutchison. But not even James Hird would think for an instant that his personal interests and desires were more important than the interests of the club.

Yet all three of your questions assume that the members of the Board, including its Chairman Paul Little and the CEO Xavier Campbell, should only have considered James Hird’s wishes in deciding whether or not to accept his resignation.

Did he think he had nothing left to offer? Probably not, but I don’t doubt that he was sensible enough to realise that whatever he was offering was not working. And I don’t doubt that when he made the offer to resign he wasn’t thinking about what he personally wanted, but was putting the interests of the club above his own. (And I also think that your statement that he had a standing offer to resign from the time of his appointment is silly. Sorry, but it is.)

Was it his preference not to be coach of Essendon? Personally I think that probably was his preference, judging by how he had looked for the past couple of months and how he looked when it was finally all over. And I won’t say his preference was totally irrelevant to the Board’s decision, but it was no more than a minor factor in consideration of the question that really mattered, which was what was best for the club.

Did the Board think it was complying with his wishes? Well, yes, actually, because I think that he wanted the Board to do what they believed was best for the club.

So that’s why I said your questions showed you had no idea. Sorry if it offended you. But I think there may have been occasions when you yourself have been strongly critical of an individual’s posts.

Hold on, that’s missing the point.

It’s not that the board should only have considered Hird’s wishes, it’s that if he genuinely resigned (as opposed to a constructive dismissal or a sacking dressed up as a resignation for very obvious reasons), then the answer to at least one of those questions wim posed should have been yes. I don’t think any of them can be answered in the affirmative.

Illuminating as always.

Shh. You’re adding nothing.
Just listen until you have something to contribute.

The gurge is all yours.

Or, you know, don’t.

Mutual.

Did he think he had nothing left to offer? Probably not, but I don’t doubt that he was sensible enough to realise that whatever he was offering was not working. And I don’t doubt that when he made the offer to resign he wasn’t thinking about what he personally wanted, but was putting the interests of the club above his own. (And I also think that your statement that he had a standing offer to resign from the time of his appointment is silly. Sorry, but it is.)

See, I read on for a bit and I just sigh.
Who do you think you’re talking to? As if the club only existed since '92 indeed.
Irrelevant and wrong.

My questions are very much directed as to Hird’s wishes, because I’m asking about Hird’s intent, and the board’s intent, and Little’s intent.
Because that’s what this thread is.

And because some posters, who i expect far, far better of, seem to have lost all instinct for subtlety and context.
As if, again, we were all four years old.
Hird resigned. Board accepted. Case closed. Shut up.

Well, no. I think there was more to it than that, and it insults my intelligence to be asked to accept that there wasn’t.

And yet again, we find middle ground. I agree that Hird resigned because he wanted the board to do what was best for the club.
His position was always going to be impossible without their backing.
That he didn’t have it is not even up for dispute, surely?
The question is, why didn’t he?

Or, you know, don’t.

Mutual.

Who do you think you’re talking to? As if the club only existed since '92 indeed.
Irrelevant and wrong.

My questions are very much directed as to Hird’s wishes, because I’m asking about Hird’s intent, and the board’s intent, and Little’s intent.

And because some posters, who i expect far, far better of, seem to have lost all instinct for subtlety and context.

Well, no. I think there was more to it than that, and it insults my intelligence to be asked to accept that there wasn’t.

And yet again, we find middle ground. I agree that Hird resigned because he wanted the board to do what was best for the club.

Or, you know, don’t.

Mutual.

Irrelevant and wrong.

Okay, I’m giving up. I can recognise invincible ignorance when I see it.

Or, you know, don’t.

Mutual.

Irrelevant and wrong.

Or, you know, don’t.

Mutual.

Irrelevant and wrong.

Okay, I’m giving up. I can recognise invincible ignorance when I see it.

You try to be nice…

Well, I think the board accepted HIRD'S resignation. Guess we'll just continue to disagree then Wim.

Really, seriously? I just find it staggering that you can say that. Have you simply forgotten about the club alienating him from the players when his suspension ended? Have you simply erased from memory the whole Chrichton medal fiasco where Hird was all but stricken from the club’s conscious? How the absolute hell can you possibly by any standard even suggest this board supported Hird the last 2 years? How?