#45 Conor McKenna - the first six years

22 at 77%, 2 goals and 7 clearances.

Was very good today.

Best game he’s played.

Oirish.

Yep. Not only that, 4 inside 50s AND 5 rebound 50s. This combo in itself is outstanding. His work rate is huge.

Getting better by the week, will be one of our prime movers within a couple of years.

Chance of this week’s rising star nom?

His ground body work for contested one on ones is awesome. Several times today as he went in he would turn his body to hit the opponent while facing the other way but also blockinging them from the ball and giving him open disposal. Has a lot of little tricks and serious X factor.

Also likes to shepherd.

Thrilled he is going so well and improving all the time. He is a creative player.
He kicked that terrific running goal last week which would have done wonders for his confidence and then followed it up today with two beauties.

He was extremely sought after in the year we drafted him and we were lucky (or worked hard) to secure him. I really thought he had stagnated this year and to be honest I think he had a slow start. However, he’s really showing his capabilities and showing why we were lucky he chose us. He needs to play the last 2 games.

Will play a lot of games next year. Did anyone notice who huge his legs are? He’s very powerful, provides so much run and carry and is an excellent kick. Another huge shining light this year.

Ivan has been blowing this guys whistle all year, might have to start listening to him.

Logic says to leave him on the rookie B list. Logic says that’s an extra list spot that can be used on another young talent. Logic says he’d understand, would be borderline 22 at best round 1 and would get opportunity as the year went on.

Screw logic. Promote this kid.

Ivan has been blowing this guys whistle all year, might have to start listening to him.

I think everyone knew his talent and that as time goes by he’d become an important member of our club. No surprises here.

gonna do an albertthurgood and yaco, good call by me.

22 at 77%, 2 goals and 7 clearances.

Was very good today.

Best game he’s played.

Oirish.

Hate to be a downer, but that stat is actually 7 clangers, not clearances. Had a great game though.

Happy he is proving me wrong.
RS nom this week surely

Check out the replay of his set shot goal after the 50. Straight as. Beautiful.
Get him as our goal kicking coach before he goes bad.
Its a common thing in the Irish game, to kick the ball ahead of you , to get in a better position to pick it up at full speed. Conor does this more than any other player I have seen. What he did was consistent with this, and therefore was not a deliberate rushed behind, umpire decision, correct.

lol. That’s a great excuse and it worked.

He actually made kicking that goal from directly in front look easy…like it actually was, easy.

He actually made kicking that goal from directly in front look easy...like it actually was, easy.

65m drop punt straight over the goal umpires head.

He made it look ridiculously easy.

Its a common thing in the Irish game, to kick the ball ahead of you , to get in a better position to pick it up at full speed. Conor does this more than any other player I have seen. What he did was consistent with this, and therefore was not a deliberate rushed behind, umpire decision, correct.

Completely agree, I said this at the game to my mate. It all happens in a split second but I genuinely think his intention was to do a little irish chip in front of him so he could run onto it and carry it through for a rushed behind if needed. I just think he over-kicked with momentum. He was very lucky to get away with it.

From http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-08-19/irish-don-finds-his-feet

THE MOST difficult thing Conor McKenna found when wrapping his head around the AFL code two years ago upon joining Essendon had nothing to do with kicking the Sherrin. The Irish product could do that well already, and on both feet.

It wasn’t the running that was required, and the physicality didn’t bother him either. McKenna was already one of Gaelic football’s most gifted youngsters when he left there at the end of 2014 to pursue a career with the Bombers.

The biggest change from his natural sport to his adopted one was the fact he got to have a break. “Our game back home is so free-flowing and once we’re on the ground we stay on,” McKenna told AFL.com.au this week.

"The first game I played for Essendon was in the NAB Challenge at the start of last year against St Kilda and it was a big shock to me coming on and off the ground.

“There were times I felt fine and didn’t want to come off, but that was just how the rotations worked. And then some other times when I was tired I stayed on the ground, so it worked both ways. I didn’t think I’d get used to it.”

There has been plenty McKenna has had to familiarise himself with in the past two years since officially joining the Bombers as an international category B rookie, and it’s all happened fast.

He joined the Bombers six months after first picking up a Sherrin, and in his first game of Australian Football (for the European legion against the AFL’s national academy in London) he kicked four goals and was best afield.

After settling in at Essendon (following a short stint at captain Jobe Watson’s house), McKenna commented he hadn’t moved to play in the VFL. He had his sights set on bigger things. And he had his mind set on how to get there.

The Bombers wanted him to spend his debut 2015 season training up as a half-back, but McKenna thought otherwise. “I insisted on playing in the forward line because I was a forward my whole career in Gaelic,” the 20-year-old said.

“I’m happy I did that and learned the structures and plans of the forward line because I think that’s the hardest place to learn and it gave me a good understanding of the game.”

Three mornings a week he and fellow Bomber Orazio Fantasia completed craft sessions with development coach Paul Corrigan, and after those handball and kicking drills were done, McKenna would head up to Corrigan’s office and learn game structures.

McKenna was elevated to the senior list for the final two games of the year – he booted a goal with his first kick of his first game against Richmond – and spent this pre-season continuing to focus on being an attacking and pacy small forward.

He started this year in the same place before coach John Worsfold intervened to move him into a half-back role. He’s relished it of late, and picked up 22 disposals and kicked two goals.

“I’ve found my feet there and it’s easier to read the game from there. I’ve been given the licence to take the game on and if I get tackled, I get tackled. I’m pretty happy going for it,” McKenna said.

There are still things he is getting used to. Last week he was lucky not to be penalised for a deliberate rushed behind when he kicked a ball through for the Suns from nearly 20 metres out from goal in a tight fourth term. The AFL clarified that the Suns should have been awarded a free kick for McKenna’s decision to boot it through, but he said it was just his first instinct.

“I didn’t really think too much about it, but I was just happy enough they called it as they did,” he said.

McKenna is out of contract at the end of this season but says he is keen to stay on and a deal to continue at Essendon is in the works.

“I’m keen to hang around,” he said. “When I came over I wanted to play consistent AFL football at the top level and that’s what I’m hoping to do. Hopefully next year I get that opportunity.”

He caught up with Irish pair Darragh Joyce and Ray Connellan before the duo was recently signed by St Kilda, and told them they should take the plunge and pursue an AFL career. He’s glad he has.

“A few Irish fellas text me and see how you’re getting on and what it’s like. There’s one who is close to me who I went to school with and he’s asked what I think of it and what it’s been like,” he said.

“I would encourage them all to have an opportunity if they get it. Go for it, and if you don’t like it then go home. I’ve always said I’d hate to not take the opportunity and regret it for the rest of my life.”

More By Callum Twomey

I thought Conor played his first game against Norf, not Richmond.

Good on him for wanting to stick around and make a go of it. He’s pretty exciting to watch.

Hands up if you read that in an Irish accent