#45 Conor McKenna - the first six years

I think both Connor and Walla need to improve their 1-1 defending (especially in the marking contest) as both look suspect but from an attacking half back perspective both of them are very very exciting talents.

I don’t think he is best 22 just yet but huge upside and I would definitely hope we keep him around for a few more years.

I think both Connor and Walla need to improve their 1-1 defending (especially in the marking contest) as both look suspect but from an attacking half back perspective both of them are very very exciting talents.

I don’t think he is best 22 just yet but huge upside and I would definitely hope we keep him around for a few more years.

Connor is much better mark than Tippa.

Yes , ball in the air is not in Tippas DNA and hard to improve that area. Connor is no problem

Yes , ball in the air is not in Tippas DNA and hard to improve that area. Connor is no problem

Conor has a very good vertical leap and this helps a lot. The problem is when Tippa loses contact with the opposition player. If he is not close, or is not watching the ball or does not jump even a little, he cannot impact the marking contest without giving away one of about 4 different types of frees, or cost the team 50 for a late bump, so he tends to arrive at the contest and not impact it in any way.

I am sure they will work on this in the off season and Tippa will be a lot better at it, so that even when his opponent is taller he will be able to prevent the opponent from marking in more contests.

Hands up if you read that in an Irish accent
From http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-08-19/irish-don-finds-his-feet

THE MOST difficult thing Conor McKenna found when wrapping his head around the AFL code two years ago upon joining Essendon had nothing to do with kicking the Sherrin. The Irish product could do that well already, and on both feet.

It wasn’t the running that was required, and the physicality didn’t bother him either. McKenna was already one of Gaelic football’s most gifted youngsters when he left there at the end of 2014 to pursue a career with the Bombers.

The biggest change from his natural sport to his adopted one was the fact he got to have a break. “Our game back home is so free-flowing and once we’re on the ground we stay on,” McKenna told AFL.com.au this week.

"D’ first game Oi played for Essendon were in d’ NAB Challenge at d’ start of last year against St Kilda and it were a big shock d’ me cumin on and off the ground like.

“Der were toimes Oi felt fine and didn’t want to come off, but dat was just how d’ rotations worked. And then some other times when oi was tired oi stayed on d’ ground, so it worked both ways like. Oi didn’t think Oi’d get used to it.”

There has been plenty McKenna has had to familiarise himself with in the past two years since officially joining the Bombers as an international category B rookie, and it’s all happened fast.

He joined the Bombers six months after first picking up a Sherrin, and in his first game of Australian Football (for the European legion against the AFL’s national academy in London) he kicked four goals and was best afield.

After settling in at Essendon (following a short stint at captain Jobe Watson’s house), McKenna commented he hadn’t moved to play in the VFL. He had his sights set on bigger things. And he had his mind set on how to get there.

The Bombers wanted him to spend his debut 2015 season training up as a half-back, but McKenna thought otherwise. "Oi insisted on playin in the forward line because Oi was a forward my whole career in Gaelic, like " the 20-year-old said.

“OI’m happy I did dat and learned the structures and plans of the forward line because Oi think dat’s d’ hardest place to learn and it gave me a good understanding of the game like.”

Three mornings a week he and fellow Bomber Orazio Fantasia completed craft sessions with development coach Paul Corrigan, and after those handball and kicking drills were done, McKenna would head up to Corrigan’s office and learn game structures.

McKenna was elevated to the senior list for the final two games of the year – he booted a goal with his first kick of his first game against Richmond – and spent this pre-season continuing to focus on being an attacking and pacy small forward.

He started this year in the same place before coach John Worsfold intervened to move him into a half-back role. He’s relished it of late, and picked up 22 disposals and kicked two goals.

“Oi’ve found ma feet there and it’s easier to read the game from there like. Oi’ve been given d’ licence to take d’ game on and if Oi get tackled, Oi get tackled like. Oi’m pretty happy going for it, it’s good craic like.” McKenna said.

There are still things he is getting used to. Last week he was lucky not to be penalised for a deliberate rushed behind when he kicked a ball through for the Suns from nearly 20 metres out from goal in a tight fourth term. The AFL clarified that the Suns should have been awarded a free kick for McKenna’s decision to boot it through, but he said it was just his first instinct.

“Oi didn’t really think too much about it, but Oi was just happy enough dey called it as dey did,” he said.

McKenna is out of contract at the end of this season but says he is keen to stay on and a deal to continue at Essendon is in the works.

“Oi’m keen to hang around,” he said. “When Oi came over Oi wanted to play consistent AFL football at d’ top level and dat’s what Oi’m hoping to do like. Hopefully next year Oi get that opportunity.”

He caught up with Irish pair Darragh Joyce and Ray Connellan before the duo was recently signed by St Kilda, and told them they should take the plunge and pursue an AFL career. He’s glad he has.

“A few Irish fellas text me and see how you’re getting on and what it’s like. Dere’s one who is close to me who Oi went to school with and he’s asked what Oi think of it and what it’s been like,” he said.

“Oi would encourage dem all to have an opportunity if dey get it. Go for it, and if you don’t like it den go home. Oi’ve always said Oi’d hate to not take the opportunity and regret it for the rest of my life.”

More By Callum Twomey

Walla just needs to learn body-on-body stuff.

Can play. Uses the ball very well.

Should be upgraded for 2017.

Still does some stupid things but is coming on.

I thought he was terrific today. One of his best games if not the best. Great kick to advantage.

I’m a fan. Makes a couple of mistakes still but he’s becoming stronger overhead and his ability to find the footy has seriously improved. Should win the ‘most improved’ award, IMO.

Still does some stupid things but is coming on.

I think the ‘stupid stuff’ just comes from not having played the game as much as others have growing up. What I really like is off the ball he’s happy to run and block and harass.

Will be a better version of Pearce Hanley.

Awesome talent.

I thought that his running to space is being honoured a bit more by team mates.

I thought that his running to space is being honoured a bit more by team mates.

Agreed. He’s backing himself and demanding the footy from his teammates more often now. Big difference between running past as an option and actually really wanting the ball - happy to see that he’s hungry for the footy and that the rest of the players trust him with it.

Was fantastic today, really starting to comfortable out there and ya have to love him regularly hitting the risky targets

Will be a better version of Pearce Hanley.

Awesome talent.

And better than Quinn

Agree Kanech, he is really confident out there now. Maybe Woosha said we were going to play you regardless. That piece of play when we got the centre clearance and he had the vision to kick on his left foot out to a teammate in space was brilliant and very Hanley like. He is doing that mor often. With experience around him next year you can really see him having a breakout year. His improvement in the last third of this year has been a real bonus along with Paddy Ambrose and has really given the team more depth than we thought at the start of the year.

Anyone know what’s going on with McKenna?
I was hoping they would have announced a re-signing by now

Should be upgraded IMO

Hope he gets upgraded, he’s exactly what we need off half back. Looked to be improving every game too so I’m sure he’ll get better at the defensive stuff with more experience. Hopefully by the end of next year we can we can lock him in as best 22.