#45 Conor McKenna - the first six years

Need a special panic thread.

Or a rename of this one…

There are more vanilla panic merchants on blitz than on the EFC list.

There are more vanilla panic merchants on blitz than on the EFC list.

Yes, but they are our vanilla panic merchants. There should be more on here considering how many are on the BBlitz list. Besides this is the best place for them.

Finished off the season really well. Good signs in his first couple of years.

I’d like to see him upgraded but there is pressure for spots this year. Hopefully we can fit him in on a rookie list as a minimum.

Finished off the season really well. Good signs in his first couple of years.

I’d like to see him upgraded but there is pressure for spots this year. Hopefully we can fit him in on a rookie list as a minimum.

Its not a problem, by agreement he can stay on the rookie list for one more year, as an International Category B Rookie. However, if he is not promoted to the list this year, the call will need to be made next year. I dont think theres any suggestion that he not continue at Essendon next year, in any way shape or form. He was a project. He is now more than a project, he’s a contender.

Does Mckenna have a contract for 2017 ?
He is out of contract...for the moment

He is out of contract...for the moment

I’d offer him a two year contract with a commitment he is upgrades to the primary list in year 2.

I reckon he’s shown enough this year to be promoted to the senior list - he’s earnt it. Is still a work in progress but the kid can play.

Set to take the next step.

Won’t be upgraded this year. There are not enough spots if we wanna use our draft picks, especially now that Walla, Dea and Kelly have already been added.

I think he has been told it’s in the team’s interest for us to keep your bonus rookie spot for another year. Pay him as a senior player, reassure we will upgrade him early in the season. The trade period may free up a main list spot for him, hence not announcing anything right now.

Won't be upgraded this year. There are not enough spots if we wanna use our draft picks, especially now that Walla, Dea and Kelly have already been added.

I guess it may depend on what happens with Dempsey and if we shuffle our draft picks around.

We already go in to 2017 with an extra spot on the senior list available and if we delist Kommer & Dempsey that gives us 9 free spots with Pears, Gwilt, Cooney, Ashby, Edwards and now Hibberd having all gone.

Upgrade Walla, Dea & Kelly, save a pick for the PSD and that still leaves us with 5 spots for selections in the National Draft, with the last pick currently being 56 (assuming that we secure pick 27 from Melbourne for Hibberd).

On another note, even though he’s contracted, I’ve heard that Eades may be delisted and then moved to the rookie list, which obviously frees up another spot as well. Lots to play out still, which is probably why we haven’t made a call on guys like Dempsey & Kommer just yet.

The other thing to consider is if we upgrade McKenna, we can then take 3 instead of 2 multicultural/indigenous cat b rookies this year. So whereas once upon a time the argument was that keeping McKenna on the Cat B list gave us an extra player on the list, that now doesn’t hold anymore.

He only really just got moved to HBF in latter part of year which certainly appears to be his best position but still a world away from having the experience and skillset for one on one defending, in particular overhead.

Another year on the rookie list IMO, plays the whole year off the HBF for 2’s and hones his craft as a defender.

If Kelly is only playing a year, McKenna to transition once he is done of which he should be far better equipped to do so.

And he could well get upgraded at some point next year anyway relative to injuries etc

The other thing to consider is if we upgrade McKenna, we can then take 3 instead of 2 multicultural/indigenous cat b rookies this year. So whereas once upon a time the argument was that keeping McKenna on the Cat B list gave us an extra player on the list, that now doesn't hold anymore.
Is there actually any evidence we’re looking at picking up more than two Cat B players?

I think he deserves to be put on the main list, but I can certainly appreciate why we may not do it.

For 2017, a choice between Eades, Morgan or McKenna on the senior list is really a no-brainer.

The other thing to consider is if we upgrade McKenna, we can then take 3 instead of 2 multicultural/indigenous cat b rookies this year. So whereas once upon a time the argument was that keeping McKenna on the Cat B list gave us an extra player on the list, that now doesn't hold anymore.
Is there actually any evidence we’re looking at picking up more than two Cat B players?

I think he deserves to be put on the main list, but I can certainly appreciate why we may not do it.

Not a clue. I’m just pointing out we can replace him on the Cat B list, so keeping him there is no longer giving us a bonus list spot.
For 2017, a choice between Eades, Morgan or McKenna on the senior list is really a no-brainer.

Morgan, because he has a two year contract.

Morgan, because he has a two year contract.

Yestin does as well doesn’t he?