#45 Conor McKenna - the first six years

Not sure why he was brought in.
He’s a poor man’s Gleeson, and I’m not a massive wrap for Gleeson.
He’s not getting in the forward-line.
I can’t see him playing wing over our other options.
It’s not that I want him dropped on last week’s performance (suspension notwithstanding) it’s that I can’t see why he was brought in at all.
At all.

because if you don’t elevate vfl players off of form and keep people stinking it up in the afl you undermine the entire point of having a reserves side.

but whatever.

1 Like

Had thirty possies in the ressies, did he?
Knocking the door down, was he?

but whatever.

1 Like

who do you bring in for dropping gleeson?

and don’t say gleeson didn’t deserve to be dropped he was deplorable.

McKenna offered a one match suspension

I don’t think he’s deplorable.
Or was.
He seems to break even a lot, I don’t see him winning much, but breaking even is still a thing.
If you’re going to say that sort of thing, then say what he was deplorable at.
And then say what you saw McKenna being better than him at.
And then say how you saw McKenna being the best choice at addressing that deficiency over other players.

This may take you more than twenty words.
Lol. Who am I kidding.
Nice talking to you anyway.

Gleeson wasn’t on his player, couldn’t hit a target and was severely underwhelming the first 3 rounds, deserved being dropped.

I never said conor was better than gleeson. i said gleeson deserved to be dropped and conor deserved to be elevated.

And which other players deserved to come in to take gleeson’s spot?

Dea, Bird, Francis, depending on what you want.
Only Woosha knows why McKenna was brought in.

Edit: Oh, and I saw Gleeson on his man a shedload more than McKenna was, or at least more that made an impact.
If you brought McKenna in to shut down then by ■■■■ are you doing footy wrong.

3 Likes

dea- not that good on true smalls which adelaide have a plethora of. hasn’t set vfl on fire.
bird- midfielder or defensive forward.
francis - forward, mid, no tank.

Yeah, done with you over the Francis comment.
If you’re just going to talk ■■■■…

thats why he’s been played in the vfl.

thats why hes had to play this week in the vfl. woosha’s said hes not got an afl tank. i’ve been screaming for him to come in. but hes not ready.

Alright, tank.
Fair enough.
But don’t say he can’t play back.

I still don’t see what McKenna was supposed to bring that Gleeson couldn’t, and better.
Run.
Sure as hell not manning up. I mean, seriously?
You have a problem with Gleeson not going hard against his man, and think McKenna is the best of those other three options (let alone Gleeson himself) at doing that?

Nooooooooooooo.

you’ve isolated one of my points and have fixated on it.

Its not so much that mckenna takes his spot, its that his spot was up for grabs because he wasn’t doing enough to keep it. woosha was playing huge emphasis on ball movement and gleeson killed several movements. so he got pulled.

I think mckenna has been notable as a ball mover in the vfl, as a result deserved a call up. I also think he was a good player in the 2nd half of last year for us.

on frang they’ve been playing him forward and in the midfield. I also think he can and maybe should play back but he’s also spent time as a junior forward and his supreme athleticism, and reading on the play (relative to u18s) saw him play as a sweeping hb in the tac. however we can only go off whatever bizarre shoe horning the club is fascinated with, like langford mid tippa as a defender etc.

Fair enough.
Close enough to entirely concur.
Unaccountable run and gun though…interesting choice…

enjoyed the knighta era more than any other in the last 15 years.

1 Like

There’s no bias here, that was always a week off. The best he could have hoped for was a fine and points.

1 Like

Not as bad as Charlie last week.

But he is quicker than most of our other midfielders and against Adelaide we got smashed in the midfield due to lack of speed

We did pretty well in clearances.
We lost it after turnovers.
They covered, we didn’t.
Less tackles.
Less pressure.
Less endurance.
It wasn’t lack of speed.

The challenge with Conor is the gap between now and 50 games experience. He’s got some really elite attributes. He’s got some glaring weaknesses. The only way he’s going to improve is experience, but you are guaranteed to take a hit in the short term. Is 50 game Conor worth the pain of 20 game Conor?

2 Likes