#45 Conor McKenna - the first six years

“While Knight was able to play on and take his free kick, the MRP lifted its impact grading to medium because of the risk of serious injury, with careless conduct and high contact.”

So he got a week based on what “could have happened”??

1 Like

The more appropriate comparison is with LeCras taking out Aliir with a shoulder to the head front on. Low impact apparently because he played on. But for some reason, even though Knight also played on, McNenna was reckless and medium impact because of what “could have” happened.

The system is bullshit.

7 Likes

He was actually thinking of doing a spear tackle. Demonstratively thinking it.

2 Likes

Shouldn’t that be how it works? Based on the actions of the infringer rather than whether someone ended up getting hurt or not. That’s how it used to be before they started relying on injury reports. The problem with suspending based on the outcome rather than the action/intent is inconsistency with players getting off for worse actions than others, purely because they were lucky enough to not cause injury.

What if McKenna had delivered the exact same hit, but Knight was positioned slightly differently and was seriously hurt as a result? Should the suspension be greater in this scenario even though McKenna didn’t do anything different?

7 Likes

Not that I would ever accuse the MRP of consistency. It’s just in this situation they actually got it right.

5 Likes

McKenna played his first season in the goalsquare as a forward pocket player and kicked about 18 goals. In his second season he moved up the ground to HFF, then a time on the wing then half back and started getting games in the seniors.on the back of high possession games, run and carry ardness at the ball and disposal

1 Like

[quote=“cul_de_sac, post:1349, topic:1997, full:true”]What if McKenna had delivered the exact same hit, but Knight was positioned slightly differently and was seriously hurt as a result? Should the suspension be greater in this scenario even though McKenna didn’t do anything different?
[/quote]
Yes. The system explicitly includes that: type/location of contact, intent, and outcome. That the MRP abuse the system, and last year watered down the penalties so much nearly everyone does no more than pay a fine, is the issue.

1 Like

Yes. The system explicitly includes that: type/location of contact, intent, and outcome. That the MRP abuse the system, and last year watered down the penalties so much nearly everyone does no more than pay a fine, is the issue.
[/quote]

Outcome should be irrelevant. That’s the AFL being more worried about the games image than what’s fair. Which is nothing new for them.

1 Like

If he didn’t drop and fumble that ball for no reason he’d still be in the team and not reported.

Every time I see this guy in the seniors I think he has poor defensive awareness and spacial awareness around him when he has the ball near him, and lets his opponent outdo him with some bad mistakes. He just doesn’t look much chop at all a defender. But then he’ll have some nice runs and spot up some nice kicks that makes you think “that’s OK!”.

Remember when they cleared hannebury for a near identical incident and some imbeciles in the media blamed hurls

8 Likes

what year? i might go on an article hunt :slight_smile:

Also the game pannell got kod?

That’s the one. And then some dipshit fans booed him as he was stretchered off.
Plus Goodes got booed after his 10th dive of the night and we had a whole week of ‘Essendon fans are racist’ articles.

I can’t remember ever being part of an angrier crowd than that night.

3 Likes

found

1 Like

Much offence to you. Please just ■■■■ right off.

6 Likes

I hope he plays breaks the games played and premierships records

Man apart from Lav, i’ve never wanted a player to succeed more than kav, i mean conor.

Elliot Kavanagh is a good sounding name with an Irish accent

1 Like