#45 Conor McKenna - the first six years

Can he learn the game in the seconds and not burn the senior team then?

3 Likes

Don’t know.

As opposed to gleeson burning the seniors?

joes 60 misses at goal were more costly than mckennas turnovers.

what happens next? kick it to hooker?

couldn’t mark a ball if it fell into his lap.

then whos teh tall target? belly? jogging around lackadaisically around the centre square.

2 Likes

K…

He’s not up to it.

3 Likes

He turned it over 4 times from 21 touches. Bj and zerret turned it over 8 times each from around 30 touches. But let’s single out Conor.

Still thought his good moments outweighed his bad and he kept running when must has stopped.

I think he deserves his chance at senior level to see if he can iron out the kinks in his game.

I think one issue he could improve on is to just taking the % option some of the time. He likes to run forward flat out and hit the spot ups but panics if there isn’t one. Needs to be prepared to take the long down the line now and then

12 Likes

I think we’re all agreed this year we ain’t going to have any serious challengers looking over their shoulders and playing either players who are sadly bowing to father time (Watson) or who have reached the ceiling and found wanting (Howlett, Stanton, Bellchambers, Bags and perhaps Hocking) is just going to prolong the mediocrity. The alternative is to determine the ceiling on players like McKenna, Gleeson, Langford. Gleeson was one who benefitted from an extended run at it last year and by the last 6 rounds had many steadfastly penciling him in for best 22 but confidence has since dropped. I can handle the garbage of today if there is at least some daring and some willingness to break what has been a very stale mould. McKenna was outpositioned and made some glaring errors with ball in hand but he also pulled out a couple of great plays that resulted in scores. I’m not arguing that he evened the ledger with those plays but surrounded by team mates who looked completely bereft of all confidence in one another he gave a glimmer in those instances which others (of which I could name at least 10) who didn’t make the same errors because they didn’t influence the play at all. It’s a development year whether we’re sick of them or not and he’s a development player.

2 Likes

Here, here!

McKenna takes to game on and so what if he makes a few errors. He is hard at it, has speed, and yes can deliver pretty well by foot.

Some of you prefer a Gleeson-type who makes as many errors, and who can’t kick. Or perhaps a one paced, soft down-hill skiing outside midfielder with ordinary ball usage whose career rests on one game 7 years ago.

3 Likes

Why do people keep talking about other players? This thread is about Mckenna.

Whether or not other players were also sh*t makes no difference to whether this guy is up to AFL standard.

He’s not imo.

3 Likes

Who takes his spot? Jackson? Ummm?

Also we talk other players because throughout the match thread ace and pnomber were calling him the worst on the ground.

Gone.
Should learn to channel aggression. Those elbows - there were ac few tonight.

Play him on the wing in Zakas role.
Can’t be any wworse than David at the moment

2 Likes

The Anzac medalist was worst on ground simply because he had many easy shots on goal and missed. Scoreboard pressure gone.
Watson was just hard to watch and should have put his hand up for a rest
Zaka & Colyer wasted so many forward entries with bad decisions kicking
Gleeson average
Dea average
TBell well he’s just too slow
McN haven’t seen his great kicking yet average game
McG fumbled early, gave away the first goal but improved in the second half.
Zerrett wasteful
Howlett not great
Hooker so so
Brown a let down from last week

Then after looking at the team Coner was far from worst and improved as the game went on. He is a third year player the same as Long, Lang and Lav. If any of those boys had 21 disposals with a few clangers they would be lorded. It looked like he was playing higher up the ground than he does in the VFL so he needs a few games in a row to see how he fits in. He should be played every game until the mid season break then assessed. Not a knee jerk reaction because its easy to bag an Irishman on a day the team showed its worst skills I can remember.

Give him a go and reap the rewards, his athletic profile and skill set is too good to ignore. I for one don’t want to continue with a midfield full of plodders.

14 Likes

What, next week? Kelly.

1 Like

Actually forgot about pops

I saw all our natural footballers in the VFL yesterday and other than Myers, I’m not sure any put their hand up for selection. I also saw some of our naturals struggle to get near it or butcher the ■■■■ out of it today. So we may as well burn the club to the ground.

1 Like

He made a few mistakes but overall I think he was good. Takes the game on and has lots of development left in him.

3 Likes

Has shown just enough to keep persevering with, has all the raw ability. But no footy smarts yet what so ever. He can learn that in the 2nds, until then he is depth only. Its only early in the year so I have not lost hope on him yet, but he would want to improve a lot by years end.

Give him another week, but leaning towards no at this point.