#37 Dylan Alwyn Clarke - at Woodville West Torrens

While his kicking style doesn't look great, that is not the problem, I don't think, nor the reason his efficiency stat is low. The clips I have watched since we drafted him show him scrambling a quick kick when under pressure, or in traffic. The classier TAC cup kids will attempt to either weave their way out (McC), run out (McG), or handball to advantage. Clarke looks to be someone who just throws it on the boot. Not really a great trait in modern football, although you could say it something Myers does a fair bit as well. However, Myers can scramble a quick kick further and better than most, so he gets away with it to some extent.

His results as the draft camp suggest it is a decision making and pressure issue rather than technique. Which, depending on how coachabke he is could be a very easy fix.

never understood the theory that a players kicking technique will improve at AFL level.

Neither. If the best two kicks in our team are truly McKenna and Tippa it speaks a lot of how rubbish the ‘AFL system’ is at honing skills.

All footy skills, “techniques”, should get better in an AFL professional environment. FFS, all they have to do is train and play footy. They even get paid for it, apparently. All those club facilities at your disposal, how nice that would have been as a young bloke.

If they aren’t improving then that is either a result of an uncoachable player, or really ■■■■ coaches. If they don’t have the drive to push themselves then they will only ever coast and will be found out when they don’t have the strength, endurance, or skills to play at the highest level. Look how hard Zachy pushes himself, that is the sign of a “player”. Anything less is simply participating. As they say, there is no coasting in life, you are either improving or you are losing.

Jobe wasn’t a great kicker, or even fit, when he was drafted and it took a few years to turn it around, but it is possible if the player has the right mindset.

never understood the theory that a players kicking technique will improve at AFL level.

Neither. If the best two kicks in our team are truly McKenna and Tippa it speaks a lot of how rubbish the ‘AFL system’ is at honing skills.

Surely Myers is up there as one of our best kicks? Ditto Hurls
I genuinely think Tippa could be the best though

so what do we have then? ■■■■ coaches, or an uncoachable joe daniher?

One of Dylan’s strengths is that he is very coachable.

Eastern Ranges Talent Manager Len Villani told Inside Football:

Competitive, inside animal with a beautiful feel for the game. Can play different roles as well, he’s done some really good stopping and stoppage roles. He’s the ultimate professional, really studious and he’ll thrive in an AFL environment in terms of being one of those kids that loves the structure, loves the information coming back at him and being able to process all that.

Having gone for McGrath whose massive strength is outside run, ( lets be honest ) this was the guy that we needed for the coal face. He is more in the Petracca , Cripps, Viney, Jones, Oliver, Dangerfield height range . He is in pretty good good shape but might have to put on about 5 kgs of muscle as an inside mid at AFL level, but thats a given, since he is only 18. He will cover the fact that last year Melbourne took Clayton Oliver at pick 4 and we took the shorter Parish at 5 ( probably as a consequence) .

He may be the surprise package of the draft for us. Go Bombers !

Bro Viney is 178cm, Petracca is 186cm, Cripps is 191cm. Pretty much every single midfielder is in between this height range lol
Having gone for McGrath whose massive strength is outside run, ( lets be honest ) this was the guy that we needed for the coal face. He is more in the Petracca , Cripps, Viney, Jones, Oliver, Dangerfield height range . He is in pretty good good shape but might have to put on about 5 kgs of muscle as an inside mid at AFL level, but thats a given, since he is only 18. He will cover the fact that last year Melbourne took Clayton Oliver at pick 4 and we took the shorter Parish at 5 ( probably as a consequence) .

Bro Viney is 178cm, Petracca is 186cm, Cripps is 191cm. Pretty much every single midfielder is in between this height range lol
Classic chris_64.

I Would have Jobe Mentor him.
Clarke seems like he already has professional attitude which is a good start.
Needs to tidy up his kicking, but knows how to find the footy.
My worry is he turns out like other inside mids who turn the ball over - on the scrap heap.

A bargain at pick 63.

Guy also has two arms and two legs just like all the elite mids. Lid off!

This year’s mids seem like a good batch

Clarke’s pool,

better than a beach,

in your own back yard.

BJ used to be pretty good. Langers is a good kick. So is Jerret. Gleeson’s not bad, neither is Zaka. Laverde’s good. Kelly is a great field kick.

hahaha…that farkin cracked me up ta :slight_smile:

BJ used to be pretty good. Langers is a good kick. So is Jerret. Gleeson’s not bad, neither is Zaka. Laverde’s good. Kelly is a great field kick.

The younger Merrett goes ok too. And by ok, I mean he’s elite.

What makes you think he is uncoachable? IMHO lacking confidence in your kicking has affected many, many players, but as we can see from his field kicking he is a ■■■■■■ great kick. It will come, look at how much more relaxed he was towards the end of the season and kicking them well. That is where he needs to be.

A lot of pressure on the young fella with his name and history. Being thrust into the number 1 fwd spot as a young fella was never going to pay instant dividends, but his numbers have been basically improving year on year from the looks of it.

He has only played four seasons and he is only 22, OK, 23 early next year. He has had a lot of maturing to do this year and he (and by extension we) will be the better for it. I don’t think he lacks in the mindset to want to get the most out of himself. His bromance with Zachy will be good to keep him pushing himself to get better.

Why, what do you think Alex?

All footy skills, “techniques”, should get better in an AFL professional environment. FFS, all they have to do is train and play footy. They even get paid for it, apparently. All those club facilities at your disposal, how nice that would have been as a young bloke.

If they aren’t improving then that is either a result of an uncoachable player, or really ■■■■ coaches. If they don’t have the drive to push themselves then they will only ever coast and will be found out when they don’t have the strength, endurance, or skills to play at the highest level. Look how hard Zachy pushes himself, that is the sign of a “player”. Anything less is simply participating. As they say, there is no coasting in life, you are either improving or you are losing.

Jobe wasn’t a great kicker, or even fit, when he was drafted and it took a few years to turn it around, but it is possible if the player has the right mindset.

I’m not sure if you’ve noticed how goal kicking accuracy has been crap league-wide for eternity.

What makes you think he is uncoachable? IMHO lacking confidence in your kicking has affected many, many players, but as we can see from his field kicking he is a ■■■■■■ great kick. It will come, look at how much more relaxed he was towards the end of the season and kicking them well. That is where he needs to be.

A lot of pressure on the young fella with his name and history. Being thrust into the number 1 fwd spot as a young fella was never going to pay instant dividends, but his numbers have been basically improving year on year from the looks of it.

He has only played four seasons and he is only 22, OK, 23 early next year. He has had a lot of maturing to do this year and he (and by extension we) will be the better for it. I don’t think he lacks in the mindset to want to get the most out of himself. His bromance with Zachy will be good to keep him pushing himself to get better.

“If they aren’t improving then that is either a result of an uncoachable player, or really **** coaches”

i dont think he is uncoacable, nor do I think our coaches are ■■■■■

i was asking you which one he is

“If they aren’t improving then that is either a result of an uncoachable player, or really **** coaches”

i dont think he is uncoacable, nor do I think our coaches are ■■■■■

i was asking you which one he is

But he is improving, so I guess neither.

Or are you saying that he isn’t improving?

Essendon draftee Dylan Clarke hopes to continue to follow path set by brother Ryan

Toby Prime, Knox Leader
an hour ago

DYLAN Clarke is hoping to emulate the feats of his brother Ryan after Essendon recruited the midfielder in Friday night’s draft.

Clarke, 18, was tipped to potentially be a second-round selection after impressive performances for Vic Metro at the under-18 national championships and at the national combine.

However, the Bombers nabbed the ball magnet when he slided to pick 63.

“The later it went the more nervous I got but there was a lot of relief and excitement when I heard my name called out,” Clarke said.

“I was getting a bit uneasy, a bit nervous, I didn’t really know what was happening or I didn’t know if I was going to get called out.

“I’m just happy it did.”

Clarke has made habit of following in his brother’s footsteps — both won the Eastern Ranges best and fairest, represented Vic Metro and made the TAC Cup Team of the Year.

Ryan, who watched the draft in Utah at North Melbourne’s training camp, was taken with pick 31 in last year’s draft and managed six AFL games, one of which earnt him a Rising Star gong.

Dylan, who captained the Ranges captain this year, was one of the top midfielders at the under-18 national championships this year, ranking first for average contested possessions (13) and clearances (six), as well as second for disposals (24).

At the national combine he finished equal-fourth in the beep test (14.12) then ran a top-three time of 9min 52sec in the 3km time trial.

Ryan has provided his younger brother with advice during the year and despite now being at rival clubs, Clarke said he was sure the two would remain good mates.

“We have a good relationship so I’m sure it will be fine,” he said.

“I’ll be going to Essendon with a good group of boys that I know.

“The goal is (to play) Round 1 and get a good bond with all the players to do everything I can during pre-season.”

Ranges talent manager Len Villani tipped Clarke to make an impact at the Bombers in 2017.

“I think he plays senior footy next year, physically, mentally, emotionally he has all those boxes ticked,” Villani said.

“He has the application and the dedication and that is what you need to be successful at AFL level.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/localfooty/essendon-draftee-dylan-clarke-hopes-to-continue-to-follow-path-set-by-brother-ryan/news-story/2dedc10f0c46e7eb48935ebe2267863f

Quality journalism there. Those guys are from the top drawer. So “he slided to pick 63”.
Doesn’t look like the spend much on sub editors either.

Already aiming for round 1 next season.

If he plays from round 1 next season then we have a heck of a player on our hands.

Love his attitude.