#37 Dylan Alwyn Clarke - at Woodville West Torrens

Clarke hits Florent leading out of from square lace out in one of the vids. Albeit he can't mark as had defender up his clacker.

I’d suggest it’s just a matter of ensuring he simplifies his kicking technique as he can kick it well at times.

yeah but deadset most of his other kicks in that vid are ■■■■. technique needs a lot of improvement

He does have people hanging off him at stoppages a lot of the time so to be expected.

In saying that certainly are some that look average also.

As I’ve said before. Watson. Priddis. JKennedy etc have all had issues with kicking early days and ended up stars. Clarke certainly knows how to find footy.

Also when it is identified as a inside from day 1, they put in place a program to fix it. I wouldn’t be surprised if he is fine in 12-24 months. But if technique work and a truck load of practice.

I think we have a good history of making poor kicks into decent ones. I’m sure our coaching can improve it to at least being serviceable. The only bad kicking regular senior player I can;t remember improving was Peverill, though that was a long time ago. Most of the guys that have come into the side as poor kicks over the past 5 years or so have come back after a big pre-season with their kicking improved dramatically. A big tick to our coaches on that one (this doesn;t include kicking for goal though).

Pev went way backwards from his first two seasons

Essendon’s final pick in the 2016 National Draft brought together two mates.

Top pick Andrew McGrath and Dylan Clarke have known each other since they were in year nine.

They attended different schools and played for opposing TAC Cup clubs but their paths crossed regularly throughout their teens at representative level.

“I met Andy through the schoolboys (representative side) in under 15’s, so we were pretty close there,” Clarke said.

“Then the next year we played under 16’s together, got closer, and then through school footy, school athletics, Vic Metro – we’ve become fairly close so it’s good to be going to the same Club as him.

“He deserved it (McGrath being selected number one overall), he’s a great player.

“Then to go to the same Club as him, I was absolutely stoked.”

Clarke, McGrath and their fellow draftees spent this week getting to know their new teammates during the Bombers pre-season camp at HMAS Cerberus.

“It has been good, pretty challenging but getting to meet all of the boys and all of the coaches – I think everyone has enjoyed it,” Clarke said.

“That mud run at the end, I think everyone will remember that.

“I’m rooming with Cale Hooker and Bobcat (Ben Howlett) so they’ve been really good, showing me around and making sure I’m not late to anything.

“It has been really good just being able to sit and talk to the players I’ve been watching on TV.”

Clarke, selected with pick 63, was named in the All-Australian under 18 side this year after averaging 24 possessions per game during the National Championships.

“I’m an inside midfielder and I’m still trying to develop my outside game as well and hopefully I can become that midfielder that can play inside and out,” he said.

“I’m just trying to add elements to my game.”

Clarke played under Essendon premiership player Darren Bewick at the Eastern Ranges this season.

The new Bomber said his Coach liked reminding the players about a famous night at the MCG against Geelong in 1996.

“He loves pumping his own tyres about playing for Essendon. He kicked nine goals, he tells us that all the time,” Clarke said.

“He was a great Coach and a really good bloke.

“Going into the draft I didn’t know what was going to happen, but I’m stoked to be joining Essendon.”

Bahaha how’s Darren Bewick pumping up his own tyres

Dylan and Tippa both meeting each other for the first time

I think he is going to surprise.

Maybe a bit of Ollie Wines about him.

Wait, that Bewick 9 goal performance was before these draftees were born.

Ffs.

Wait, that Bewick 9 goal performance was _before_ these draftees were born.

Ffs.

scary thought hey?

I think he is going to surprise.

Maybe a bit of Ollie Wines about him.

Is that just because he looks like him?

Ffs.

scary thought hey?

Terrifying

What about Ted Fordham’s bag of 10 goals against the Pies though, heh?

That doesn’t seem so long ago…

This kid has a lot going for him but disposal is not one of them. Endurance, tackling, being task-oriented and a good size all pointing towards him becoming our tagger. Make it happen Woosha!

What about Ted Fordham's bag of 10 goals against the Pies though, heh?

Only to old farts like you and me. Like sand through an hour glass, these are the days of our lives.

Only to old farts like you and me. Like sand through an hour glass, these are the days of our lives.

Weren’t Collingwood in the top couple at the time when we flogged them at Vic Park. I do remember it was Bob Wilson (#26)'s one big game where he shut Tuddy down. Bob was a Brunswick VFA stalwart.

Ffs.

scary thought hey?

Terrifying

What’s scarier is that they have only ever known essendon as an irrelevant club who doesn’t win finals

Weren’t Collingwood in the top couple at the time when we flogged them at Vic Park. I do remember it was Bob Wilson (#26)'s one big game where he shut Tuddy down. Bob was a Brunswick VFA stalwart.

Yes, Collingwood finished on top but lost the Grand Final to St Kilda (who beat us in a very wet Prelim Final).

I remember, there was a real buzz amongst Bomber faithful, and anticipation that Ted was going to be the next John Coleman.
Thats in spite of the fact that Coleman announced himself with 100 goals in his FIRST season. Hope springs eternal.

Both were very poor kicks in my opinion. Baguley has fully changed his kicking style since the early days you can see in the way he holds it before dropping it to his boot. Colyer wasn't just a poor kick at full pace he used to kick floaters and helicopter kicks even after a mark. We'll agree to disagree though.
Because he ran too fast and rushed his kicks. He's even said that himself and he's worked on steadying down and concentrating on his kick - and it's improved massively

Good article on him today in HS (not online)

This kid has got the mental application to getting the best out of himself that most do not.

Last preseason was given an AFL running program via NM from his brother and was doing that by himself in his break to the point of exhaustion.

Played in 4 junior flags. Made All Australian teams. Captain of Eastern Ranges. Dominant inside mid.

Was rated a lot higher than where we got him. Literally has it all besides a suspect kick (at times) which will be worked on to ensure he can be competent at AFL level.

Article posted now. You must have just missed it, Speedy.

Desire and work ethic takes Dylan Clarke on to Essendon’s list

SAM LANDSBERGER, Herald Sun

DYLAN Clarke collapsed exhausted in the middle of an oval at Bonnie Doon.

The Essendon draftee was decked out in North Melbourne kit he had pinched from his brother Ryan and was giving a Kangas’ pre-season running plan a shake.

Every 55 seconds, Clarke would sprint 300m. If it took him 45sec, a 10sec break would be granted, and it ran him red in the face.

Clarke — a close mate of the Dons’ No.1 pick Andy McGrath — has completed four consecutive 1km runs and thumped out 2km and 5km time-trials, but last summer’s Bonnie Doon session proved the most gruelling.

“We’ll blame the heat or the long grass,” he said.

“I didn’t throw up, but it was the toughest pre-season running session I’ve done.

“Running by yourself, as well, is always tougher. There’s no one to push you so you’ve got to be really self-motivated.”

It was that work ethic which helped Clarke land at the Bombers as their bargain pick.

Champion Data ranked him No.12 on its power rankings, but Essendon swooped with the No.63 pick as other clubs were put off by his rusty kicking.

List chief Adrian Dodoro said the most impressive aspect of Clarke was his desire.

“He won’t leave any stone unturned,” Dodoro said.

Clarke arrives in the AFL with four junior premierships and two league medals, and averaged 29 disposals (16 contested) and 145 SuperCoach points in this year’s TAC Cup.

The Melbourne Grammar boy is only 15 months younger than Ryan, who was dubbed one of the “brightest young players in the competition” by his coach Brad Scott this year.

“He’s an animal,” Dodoro said of his Clarke.

“Look, there are some deficiencies with his kicking, some may say. But we’re going to back our development coaches who have said already they can get him to a level that’s good enough to play league footy.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/essendon/desire-and-work-ethic-takes-dylan-clarke-on-to-essendons-list/news-story/b4efdd1ee4f9b3b1d97ab7fdefb4e13a

Also, obligatory: