#9 Dylan Shiel (Part 1)

How true about our superstar Joey!!!

After careful analysis, I can confirm our number 1 preference is in the top left corner of the board. They seem to have a short first name and a medium length surname. Indications are height between 5-7ft. Junior club located within 12742km of Tullamarine. Position is somewhere on a football ground.

Our number 2 preference is directly below number one on the board.

Someone got upgraded to preference 6 after everything was written and Adrian couldnā€™t be bothered to re-write it all, so just used an arrow. He needs magnetic strips.

Players 7, 10, 17 and 18 have yellow dots. This either indicates academy players, or that Adrian likes yellow dots.

Also of critical importance, it appears the marker ran out after writing the 10th name, so they had to go out and buy a new one. I cannot confirm if the cost of this new marker will impact the soft cap of football department spending.

Hope this analysis is useful.

13 Likes

Ahhh no. Zerrett is an elite kick, some of the kicks he pulls off regularly can only be done by a handful of other players in the league. Shiel (as much as I rate him) is not in that handful.

3 Likes

Iā€™m not normally one for caring about how a bloke looks in our jumper.

But damn! He looks better in the saah vs that horrible orange thing GWS has.

2 Likes

Top fit for our club on and off field.

Welcome to Essendon, Dylan!

Watch how he blossoms like Dev and Zacky then watch them build off eachother.

Hat off to the man with jackets on!

1 Like

After this trade period Dodoro will be presented with an awardā€¦another jacket.

1 Like

good point, i hadnā€™t thought of this. maybe it means we can use raz more sparingly up the ground and conserve his hammiesā€¦

I think Shiel will thrive in the Melbourne environment and being under the public eye more due to crowd/audience size. Heā€™ll probably be assumed to be a 10% better player just because of that phenomenon alone.

But in all seriousness, I think he will take his game to another level and be one of the best inside mids in the comp. This will let Merrett off the leash as well. Good times ahead.

3 Likes

Welcome Dylan Shiel. Iā€™ve been waiting for you.
Huge fan. Best of luck in preseason.
Hopefully catchup in November.
Take care.

1 Like

And that is why the deal took so long, GWS were trying to stop him leaving.

2 Likes

FFS, I just watched Shielā€™s videos on Blitz. Now I have my farking hopes up!

Shiel is ranked top 10-20 in the comp across his career for clearances. He his already one of the best inside mids in the comp. He will walk into our side as the best clearance player weā€™ve got. And thatā€™s not intended as a slight on our current bunch, Hepp particularly, but itā€™s the reality. Heā€™s gonna be a huge addition to our midfield.

2 Likes

What were the reasons for him moving to a more outside role this year? Wad it concern over his shoulders, or they just had better options on the inside?

My understanding, just from reading articles, was that they had Kelly and Coniglio in there so felt with Shielā€™s speed he would be good to use on the outside.

I think it was a combination of;

• they had plenty of inside players such as Hopper, Cognilio and Kelly and
  • Shiel could provide run on the outside when Whitfield moved to half back when they had injuries there.
1 Like

To replace Scully on the outside after Scully wrecked his ankle very early in the year.

They badly needed outside run and Shiel is a very good two way runner.

2 Likes

Ahh, forgot about Scully.

It was early in the year

Pretty much covered by others but yeah Scully injured and Whitfield to half back meant they were light on for outside runners but flushed for inside extractors. Shiel pushed outside more as a result.

Kelly plays a lot outside as well, Ward, Cogs and Hopper are their real inside bulls.

Has he learnt how to bounce the ball since all these videos were done?

(Not that he seems to have much trouble controlling the wonky soft returns.)

3 Likes