#9 Dylan Shiel (Part 1)

2018 Clearances at GWS: Coniglio 5.8, Shiel 5.6 , Ward 5.5,Hopper 2.8
2017 Clearances at GWS: Ward 6.5 Shiel 6.4, Coniglio 5.5, Kelly 5.0

Shiel was a real inside bull at GWS. Now he is one of ours !

1 Like

I know right, if he could bounce the ball properly, he would never get caught.

another Shiel vid - making sure the Bomber faithful know what he looks like in the red and black

Curious where those numbers are from, as theyā€™re not what is reflected on Stats Proā€¦ but that aside.

Heā€™s great inside but more as a consequence of his explosiveness and movement in traffic. Not to say heā€™s not strong over the footy etc, but the point I was making is heā€™s not a big hulking Cripps, Kennedy, Oliver type. Will compliment our mix well, especially if Langford (and Stringer) can continue to develop as the big bull.

1 Like

So did everyone else except Hawthorn

I didnā€™t want to say anything given any good news ought to be enjoyed at least for a while in here, but yeah, terrible technique and it slows him up and clearly takes concentration. Is it the price he pays for being the most uprightiest midfieldiest midfielder going around?

We needed someone capable of dominating the contested ball.

Shiel is not an inside bull.

He is an inside PANTHER! He has too much class for a simple bull.

I donā€™t believe he will be our best midfielder BUT he is going to do things that will blow our mind and make us GUMB.

Everyone looks better in black and red and that is a scientific fact.

12 Likes

AFL Stats website. But agree there seem to be some discrepancies across the stats sources.

Yeah theyā€™re wrong.

OK, what you are saying is a ā€œmidfield bullā€ is a ā€œbig body midā€ over 6 ft tall midfielder type.

1 Like

OK, I have to recant then. Shiel is not a ā€œmidfield bullā€ his stats are not as good as I first thought, But I guess I will just have to go along to games next year and see if he helps us get into the top 8 and win some finalsā€¦

Make no mistake, he is an elite clearance player, just be aware of the type of player he is and donā€™t expect something he isnā€™tā€¦ Heā€™s more Tom Mitchell or Dane Zorko in that heā€™s strong over the footy for sure but where his strength lies is his ability to find space (and the footy) and explode from it. This lends itself to centre clearances especially (given fewer numbers around the ball) and itā€™s reflected in his numbers.

And yes, heā€™s gonna be huge for our midfield. Because not only does he add great depth and class and pace around stoppages but also because you canā€™t tag both Shiel and Merrettā€¦

5 Likes

And Hirdy should have learnt to kick the ball so it travelled with a beautiful end over end rotation. Those floaty kicks of his stopped him being a good player.

6 Likes

Probably doesnā€™t help that he bounces it with his right hand and kicks on the left. That always looks awkward at the best of times

How do you think Iā€™d go?

3 Likes

Wanganeen used to do the direct opposite

1 Like

Really? He uses his right hand in the two bounces during that famous GF point.

Saad can teach him how to run and bounce.

1 Like

You would not be good at cricket either, they would target your off stump.

8 Likes