#9 Dylan Shiel (Part 1)

How about would of, could of & should of??!! (You can tell my age demographic!! Old!)

8 Likes

They ■■■■ me more than anything.

1 Like

No, that’s just something that didn’t get fixed the first time at school. One thing that rarely gets mentioned is the pleasure there is in correcting yourself and understanding how the two words involved connect to have a purpose, not to mention the little shift in pronunciation. Little things that can spur a fascination with learning. But we should keep stripping the humanities and producing idiot teachers. And keep calling people grammar nazis.

1 Like

Whoa. Third coffee. Have we got Stringer yet?

1 Like

I remember being horrified when I was telling @bugman5 about the use of the infinitive in grammar, particularly French and Spanish grammar. He told me he’d never been taught anything about grammar and didn’t know what an infinitive is.

I concurred with that earlier post put up by BSD about splitting infinitives. It’s just that pretty much all Romance languages, and German too, have their infinitives as one word. So you know to never split them.

And so many verbs have prepositions almost as part of the verb’s meaning, e.g. to put up with is in no way similar to to put.

Certainly when you learn Latin, you understand a lot of things about English grammar. One common mistake is to use subject pronouns after prepositions, instead of object pronouns. So between you and me, this error drives me mad. It’s never between you and I.

Subject pronouns are I, you, he, she, it, we, they. The object forms are me, you, him, her, it, us, them..

In olden days, you (singular) was thou (subject) and thee (object), but long obsolete.

4 Likes

@Alan_Noonan_10, between you and I that’s somewhat informative.

4 Likes

Yous blokes got no farking idea.

4 Likes

Language evolves (for better or worse!) & the school curriculum covers so much more than in days gone by… technology of all sorts, student wellbeing, outdoor education, environmental issues & cultural studies just to name a few. There’s simply no time for detailed grammar lessons.
My last post on this topic in this thread…
Back to the footy!!

1 Like

Different to and different than… it’s different from!!!

1 Like

I could of told youse all that for free.

1 Like

So Noons , you are trying to tell us that Dylan has a compound diphthong.

Good post AN, don’t listen to them loutz. I went to public schools back in the 70’s and 80’s, there wasn’t much of an emphasis on the basics but I was lucky to have a couple of good English teachers. And I read the odd book. But loyalandproud is right, sadly. Probably one of the few areas I’m a bit of a fuddy duddy conservative. That and the use of anachronisms like fuddy duddy.

1 Like

If you try to learn other languages, you realise how important grammar is…just in making yourself understood.

Why should English be any different?

We used to get a damn good thrashing for any mistakes, and we came out better for it.

2 Likes

wut

1 Like

giphy

3 Likes

Ooookaay, sure, … let’s go with that then,. …

2 Likes

Yes, fans struggle through 50 seasons of Star Trek without being able to understand “to go boldly”. Rubbish!!

English is a ■■■■■■■■■■■ mismatch of just about every european language. All the pedantic fiddly rules are poorly understood because they’re absolutely irrelevant to making yourself understood, which is the whole point of language in the first place.
The whole language could do with a good streamlining.

5 Likes

Teaching my 5 year old to read has really brought this into focus

I regularly work with a bunch of people (generally very bright) from different ESL backgrounds and, yeah, the number of different ways there are to say essentially the same thing is just dumb.

…so dylan shiel is gonna be good…

3 Likes