Cool…

Feels very vanilla.

I wanted Ross the Boss but oh well.

3 Likes

We only poach from the best!

3 Likes

I look forward to demanding his sacking after our first loss

24 Likes

Poaching a failed ex football coach from another mediocre football club.

So very Xavier, so very Essington.

7 Likes

Mahoney appointed as general manager, football

The Bombers announce Josh Mahoney as its new general manager, football.

The Bombers are delighted to announce the appointment of Josh Mahoney to the role of general manager, football.

Mahoney joins the club with more than 20 years of AFL experience as a player, assistant coach and senior administrator, most recently as Melbourne’s general manager of football for the past seven seasons.

In addition to the successful management and leadership of the AFL program, Mahoney’s expansive portfolio has included facilities development, the Casey Fields redevelopment and the establishment of the Demons’ renowned AFLW program.

During his playing career, Mahoney completed an undergraduate degree in science (nutrition) at La Trobe University, a Masters of Marketing and a Masters of Business Administration (MBA) both at the University of South Australia. He also recently completed his AICD company directors course.

From 2013, Mahoney was in charge of the Demons’ football program as general manager of football and Casey operations, leading the football strategy, coaching transitions, negotiating the Casey Scorpions takeover and leading a $8 million redevelopment of Casey Fields. Prior to that, Mahoney served in several roles as football manager and assistant coach at Melbourne, having been at the club since 2007.

Mahoney was a member of Port Adelaide’s premiership team in 2004, its leading goalkicker in 2006, and a member of its leadership group. He had playing stints at Collingwood and the Western Bulldogs before joining the Power.

Josh Mahoney (right) lifts the 2004 premiership trophy with Port Adelaide. (Photo: AFL Photos)

It will also be a homecoming in the red and black for Mahoney, who played for the Bombers’ VFL side between in 2001 and ‘02 as captain and claimed best and fairest honours.

Chief executive officer Xavier Campbell said it was a significant appointment.

“After a thorough process, we are delighted to have secured Josh Mahoney to the position of general manager of football,” Campbell said.

“Josh has been an incredibly well-respected figure across the AFL industry with over 20 years of experience at a playing, coaching and administrative level. As a result, he provides a unique lens from almost every angle across a football department and this experience will benefit us greatly.

“With over seven years of experience in the general manager of football role, Josh brings the expertise we desire to drive our football program forward. He has philosophies that align with (senior coach) Ben Rutten’s leadership so we are confident Josh will build a strong rapport with Ben and provide important guidance and support across the football program more broadly.

“Josh also has experience establishing and leading Melbourne’s AFLW program, so he will also assume full responsibility for both our male and female programs as we work towards securing an AFLW licence by 2022.

“We look forward to Josh commencing with the club next week.”

Josh Mahoney (right) with coach Mark Williams during his Port Adelaide days. (Photo: AFL Photos)

Mahoney said he was thrilled to join the Bombers.

“I am really excited by this opportunity and the new challenge that awaits at the Bombers. Throughout this process, I’ve been really impressed with the conversations I’ve had and the desire that (president) Paul (Brasher), Xavier (Campbell), Ben (Rutten) and others have about driving the football program forward. I look forward to supporting Ben in his first year as senior coach, and there is a strong and collective ambition to get better in all aspects of the program and that is something that personally really motivates me,” Mahoney said.

“Having lived in Essendon and being a Bombers supporter growing up, to captaining the VFL side and now returning to the club, there’s also a nice romance and I’m thrilled to now be heading up the football program.

“I’m really looking forward to meeting everyone and being a part of this proud football club to achieve success.”

He is wayyyyy more accomplished than I ever knew. Done so much.

Good luck Josh. Will need it.

23 Likes

To be fair, Little Essendon (Port Power) nicked him from us first.

EDIT: too late, covered in article above.

1 Like

Always liked the cut of his jib.

Welcome Josh.

Happy with the appointment.
Only time will tell whether it is successful or not.

3 Likes

I’m not really thrilled to be stealing Melbourne’s head of football. To be honest, with his CV, what I’d like to be doing is replacing Xavier with him…

That said, he’s obviously driven and from his playing days knows all about adversity and getting by with less. Cross the fingers time I suppose.

5 Likes

Gold Standard Neil Balme was a failed football coach of the very same mediocre club. Not sure what that has to do with appointing someone as a manager role?

9 Likes

Second best appointment after we signed the “Ruslan Kogan” lookalike for our failed esports team!!!

5 Likes

Lets give him a crack blitz.

3 Likes

Barracked for Essendon as a kid. Tick

5 Likes

Awful decision - GM of Mediocrity Melbourne now coming to ■■■■ show Essendon

1 Like

Mahoney has been the GM of Football Operations at Melbourne for 7 years.

In that time Melbourne have finished 17th, 13th, 11th, 9th, 5th, 17th & 9th.

2 Likes

I’ll take it! :star_struck:

25 Likes

I’m happy we appointed someone with a lot of experience at club level when it appeared the alternative was a bloke who had never set foot inside an AFL club.

Good luck to him, hopefully the revolving door of footy managers stops for a bit.

You’d have to think if we go ■■■■ in the next year or two it’ll be Rutten or Campbell that get sacked before Mahoney does

vanilla appointment, will toe the party line.

Club should be asking themselves why this bloke was the best available who was happy to come to us.

But they wont

6 Likes

Xavier will be licking his lips. Think about how much meddling he can do now.

6 Likes

Seems to be better credentialed than i originally thought when i heard we had appointed him

1 Like