Farewell to Essendon - Josh Mahoney

meh, impossible to assess without knowning who all the other canditates that expressed interest were.

2 Likes

The word experience can be thrown around too easily when previous experience has not been overly successful. Not an inspiring choice by any stretch but here’s hoping for a nice surprise

10 Likes

So what? You holding him personally responsible for that football team’s on field failings?

1 Like

It’s not like our team doesn’t need another nutritionist.

No.

I’m just showing what his previous results have been like.

2 Likes

That is the BBlitzz way; it is never the Players who underperform, it is the President, Board, CEO, Coach, Recruiter and the Boot Studder. Never any farking player.

4 Likes

I think most here are assessing it from the perspective that (exclusive of whether Josh was the best candidate or not) that the guy we have fired would appear to have just as good, if not better a CV than Josh

Fair enough fire someone if you have someone way more credentialed in mind to replace them with, but this seems at the most, a sidewards decision

2 Likes

You’re right. Players never cop any ■■■■ on Blitz.

8 Likes

Xavier is surely aiming to be sacked…

that’s what we hold our footy GMs responsible for isn’t it.

I like the symmetry of sacking richardson, who had been demoted by RIchmond, and appointing Mahoney, who had been demoted by Melbourne. He’d basically just had his role cut in half to exclude him from all senior footbal operations. Super. Sounds like the perfect stalking horse for X.

4 Likes

sideways at best.

1 Like

If we don’t draft Perkins I’m blaming this guy.

10 Likes

I’m reserving the right to be outraged after the draft when I find out that guy I haven’t heard of was still available at our pick and instead we picked other guy I haven’t heard of instead.

7 Likes

I’d rather Mahoney than Lyon anyway. Grew up in Napier St, I believe. Did his parents own a shop there?

And yet again, I wonder at some of the responses from some of the greatest cockwombles I’ve ever run across.

5 Likes

that just screams get this man to the footy department. He went for the dees CEO role and lost to pert. It’s no surprised they immediately moved him sideways. Regardless, clearly his career ambitions don’t lie on the field any more. We’re a halfway house for him.

we need to be bolder here is my gut feel, someone from outstide the system with a fresh perspective and new ideas. we’re so farking conservative.

1 Like

sounds fair, i’m on board.

2 Likes

Essendon has appointed Josh Mahoney as a replacement for Dan Richardson

Josh Mahoney is Essendon’s new head of football. Picture: AFL Photos

ESSENDON has landed former Melbourne football boss Josh Mahoney as its new head of football.

Mahoney has walked away from his position at the Demons effective immediately and will start at the Bombers on Monday in new coach Ben Rutten’s second week of pre-season training.

He fills the void left by previous Bombers football manager Dan Richardson, who was sacked on the eve of the Trade Period in October after an exhaustive review by new chairman Paul Brasher.

Richardson had been a major supporter of Rutten and a key driver in bringing the Bombers coach across from Richmond as an assistant at the end of 2018.

Mahoney’s role as Demons football boss, a position he held from 2013, was split last month to take the title as ‘general manager of football facilities and administration’.

Alan Richardson, who joined the Demons as director of coaching at the end of 2019, has taken on the role as ‘general manager of AFL football performance’.

Mahoney was to continue overseeing list strategy and the Demons’ search for a new training facility but will leave straight away and have no say on the club’s NAB AFL Draft plans on Wednesday night.

“I am really excited by this opportunity and the new challenge that awaits at the Bombers,” Mahoney said via an Essendon statement.

"Throughout this process, I’ve been really impressed with the conversations I’ve had and the desire that (president) Paul (Brasher), Xavier (Campbell), Ben (Rutten) and others have about driving the football program forward.

“I look forward to supporting Ben in his first year as senior coach, and there is a strong and collective ambition to get better in all aspects of the program and that is something that personally really motivates me.”

Mahoney first joined the Demons as an assistant coach in late 2007 after a premiership for Port Adelaide in 2004.

He played 97 AFL games for Collingwood (1997-1998), Western Bulldogs (1999-2000) and the Power (2004-2007) and also captained the Bombers’ VFL side in 2001 and 2002.

“Josh is a highly respected administrator within the AFL industry and Melbourne Football Club,” Demons chief executive Gary Pert told Melbourne Media.

"His contribution and care has always been first class and we thank him and his family for the dedication and commitment they have shown.

"He was one of the key drivers of our AFLW program at its inception, oversaw our AFL list management strategy and has played a pivotal role managing the Casey Fields facility redevelopment.

“We wish Josh all the best in his new role and he will always be welcome back at the club.”

As revealed by AFL.com.au , Richardson was targeted for the vacant head of umpiring position and was formally appointed last week.

Have to admit, you may be right. I have never heard anyone be critical of any player on Blitz. Certainly not in the player threads, all positivity in there.

3 Likes

very harsh on aflw, the league might lack for a few things but not contested footy.

2 Likes

I am never Right.