it seems moreso deciding what foot to kick for decision making purposes, to eliminate the thought process of having to decide which foot to kick on... so perhaps its like 80% on one foot, then the other 20% on the other foot when its absolutely called for
I can see the logic in that and dont particularly think its a bad idea
Probably both. Every one needs to work on their kicking so does he have to double up on every training drill? And I'm not talking just shots at goal, there would be drills that involve your dominant side, and certain positions might require/prefer a lefty.
It may end up as he suggests in the article - he may kick goofy in field play but set shots on the right, that could satisfy the coaches too.