Luke Ball - what does he do again?

A guy got up and accused the Essendon players of smoking a shisha pipe on the bench of a vfl match. Went on for a few minutes, said it was disgraceful and a sign that the club wasn’t taking things seriously.

6 Likes

deleted. I made a mistake

1 Like

Turns out I knew almost all of what there was to know.

But apparently the Essendon VFL aren’t the only athletes with Hookah issues, I was Googling for any evidence of fact behind the Shisha allegations and found this:

The Moscow Times Logo

March 30 2018 - 15:03

Russian Football Union Instructs Players Not to Smoke Hookah Ahead of World Cup

Pixabay / MT

The Russian Football Union has issued instructions for its players to avoid testing positive for doping ahead of the 2018 World Cup this summer, including advice not to drink exotic teas or smoke flavored tobacco.

Russia hosts the World Cup in 11 cities between June and July this year, as FIFA continues a doping investigation into past samples provided by players from Russia’s national team.

Read More
FIFA to Test Russian Soccer Team for Suspected Doping

RFU’s extensive list of recommendations to its members Friday includes “not smoking hookah” and “not consuming exotic teas.”

“Always remind doctors that you’re an athlete who may be subject to doping tests,” the union tweeted.

Its guidance appears to harken back to an incident in 2009 in which stars players of Russia’s team were seen smoking hookah and drinking alcohol in Moscow before a key qualification match against Slovenia.

The Russian team was knocked out over the course of two matches by Slovenia due to an away goal that was conceded after the hookah-smoking incident in Moscow, thus losing a chance to compete in the 2010 FIFA World Cup in South Africa.

https://themoscowtimes.com/news/russian-football-union-instructs-players-not-smoke-hookah-ahead-world-cup-61003

I thought it was the opposite. Something along the lines of he wanted to be able to smoke ciggies at the vfl like back in the old days and raised smoking shisha as an alternative if he wasn’t allowed to smoke ciggies.

Nah, that would be in the realm of sanity. I was present and it was basically the only thing memorable from a fairly stage managed night This guy was definitely accusing our players of smoking mid-match. The crowd started heckling him, then Xavier gave a confused 10 seconds of “I cannot imagine anything like that ever happening”, then they quickly moved on.

3 Likes

Hahah, fair enough

I thought he was complaining about the crowd doing shisha not the player.

Not a player but reportedly an official…

Yep got up and mentioned he attended a vfl match during the year and noticed smoke billowing from the bench our vfl interchange players were seated in, upon further inspection he was dismayed to discover the players were smoking SHISHA.

6 Likes

Whatever it takes.

Smoking Hooker

WHAT DOES HE DO???

That was a great night. some purely ridiculous questions were asked.

obligatory ‘BUT WHEN MCG?’

He’s the guy who’s job no one actually understands so he gets left alone.

Where we’ll all go and prop there.

He works on the Penski file!

8 Likes

had to google it, but I knew it was Seinfeld.
am I the only one in the world that doesn’t get it

1 Like

But bearing in mind he is in a smaller office at The Hangar

2 Likes

He’s there in one of the recent training videos - still not sure about his role.

2019-11-23%2020_34_29

1 Like

You’re still not sure or he’s still not sure?

4 Likes