#40 Luke Lavender - NewLAV!

That actually looks like me too!!

7 Likes

We can have up to 3 cat B rookies

2 Likes

Good luck to the young man and family. Hope all goes well!

Hope he has an aggressive streak in him. [Both at ball and player]

Still excited at just seeing his name surrounded by these other players that I have followed, in some cases, for years.

Under no illusion that Luke will spend plenty of time on the pine. Having never played against men, the step up to VFL is massive. If he gets a kick, it will be testament to the development coaches.

Wooshaā€™s preference is for him to become a ruck/forward, so expect that is where he will be developed initially. His best work as a forward is likely to come if he can get out in space.

13 Likes

I get to a lot of VFL games so I will definitely keeping an eye on him. From first looks he looks to have a lot of potential. Dodoro has an eye for big guys so for him to get your son on board suggests he has a bit to work with.

Fingers crossed he gets an opportunity during the year to make his senior debut.

1 Like

Thanks Killer_Mike. His mother and I expect to spend most weekends at the VFL too. It will be interesting to read the reviews from those of you that attend regularly. I expect a bit of ā€œLavender didnā€™t get anywhere near it!ā€ early on.

Yes, all of the attributes are there. Developing skills in a contested environment, the necessary aggression and general game sense will be the priority.

He has a 2 year deal, so we hopefully have time. He also has his fingers crossed for a senior opportunity this year, however Iā€™m probably more a realist and am interested in seeing gradual improvement that sees his 2 years become something more. If the 2 years entails a taste of AFL, then so be it, it would be a dream come true. However being able to turn this into a career, rather than being just another name that was given a short term shot, will be very satisfying.

16 Likes

Is he quick mate?
And does he have a bit of white line fever?

Itā€™s funny how things can work out when you work hard and take risks like your son obviously has.

Itā€™s exciting just having a Bomberblitz regulars son playing for our great club. Iā€™m looking forward to watching his career unfold.

Heā€™s definitely come to the club at the right time. Itā€™s onward and upwards for us from here so will be an exciting experience for him.

2 Likes

Yes, speed is one of his main attributes. Covers the ground very well. 2.95 sec 20 metre sprint time which is apparently pretty good.

If his reactions when I ask him to unpack the dishwasher are any guide, he has white line fever in spades!! Seriously, its actually hard to know, given his limited contact sport exposure.

Sorry, hijacking the Smack thread here!!

10 Likes

Great stuff S_K! Tell him to work hard and stay away from BLITZ!

We will all be following his progress.

GO BOMBERS!

4 Likes

Love hearing you talk about your boy, mate. Sounds like he has a great dad with the right kind of attitude.

9 Likes

Thank you Deckham. Given the right forum I could speak about him for hours :joy:

7 Likes

I reckon you will get your chance!

1 Like

Thanks DJR. :grinning:

1 Like

When does he report to his first day of training?

Do you know if he has met any other players yet?

Moving to Melbourne late next week. Has been working on a strength and conditioning program as well as a rehab program (shoulder reco a couple of months ago) set by the club for about 5 weeks. It is pretty much full time. Moving to the share house in Melbourne. He will be ready to commence training (albeit with minimal contact) from whenever the 1-5 year players start back.

While he has met a few briefly on his various visits to the club, he bumped into Draper in Brighton SA last week, introduced himself and they had a chat. It was the day Lukeā€™s news went public, so Draper recognised him. Shook hands, friended each other on facebook and whatever other rubbish youngsters do now when they meet each other for the first time. :joy:

24 Likes

Sam Draper is probably the one who can best prepare Luke for what to expect in the next 12 mths. Lukeā€™s path is likely to be very like Draperā€™s last 12 mths. Both are coming from a long way back, Luke having not played for 3 yrs and Sam only ever having played for 1 yr prior to starting at Essendon, Sam had a pre season modified by his recovery from knee tendonitis and Luke is recovering from the shoulder reco.
The most useful advice could well come in the form of coping with the frustrations of lack of opportunity. A young kid hopes to get in there and impress from the start, but I remember seeing Draper about 1/3 the way into the season at Sandringham VFL, and he hardly got a run on the ball, coming on and off the bench and playing second fiddle to TBC. Luke is likely in tor the same experience, and hopefully Sam can prepare him for what will probably be a long slow build into his career.

9 Likes

The only point of difference I will flag is that Lavender is 3 years older than Draper was when he first walked into the club.

Luke should start behind Draper since he has little footy experience. He may surpass Draper in 2019 due to a more mature body. But then in the following years weā€™ll see who ends up the better ruckman.

Due to my eternal optimism Iā€™m hoping they end up both being able to play multiple positions and therefore end up a wonderful 1 / 2 combination.

1 Like

Draper and Lavender has a premiership note to it. No jinx.

1 Like