Big Sammy Draper - #1 ruckman now #2

Window should be open by the time he makes it into the firsts.

If necessary he could come in and compete at AFL level as a tap ruckman.
I think he is a real talent as a ruckman but needs to pay his dues and learn about the craft of being a follower. Positioning for marks around the ground, when to go back to the last line. When to follow his opponent. When to work the corridor. When to compete for the actual clearance. It’s not something you can learn in 4 games.

5 Likes

Fantastic to hear, although not currently in vogue, I like having a developing ruck on the list. Best of luck to him.

1 Like

I agree with Chris. I was gobsmacked by his game on Saturday; he has improved out of sight over the past month but he needs a year or two of learning in the VFL before being considered for the seniors. He would get his share of hitouts at the moment but would otherwise be totally lost out there.

Our future ruck hopes are totally hinging on this guy.

No pressure Sam.

3 Likes

What does this mean for Smack at the end of 2017?

“We have a daily limit on that action. Please wait 38 seconds before liking the post again”

1 Like

Probably won’t change the outcome for Smack at all to be honest.

Remember big Fraser Thurlow?

Another fair effort today by all accounts, got a really good feeling about this guy.

Could play seniors this year, towards the end of the season, starting in the FP. SMadden debuted as a 17 year old, doing something similar and kicked 4 goals on Cowboy Neale.

1 Like

I hate to contradict you captain but Madden made his debut as a 16 year old as 20th man against St.kilda in Round 15 1974. He came on about 20 minutes into the 3rd quarter and kicked a goal in the last quarter. He was then dropped and kicked 4 against Fitzroy in his 3rd game in round 19, he ended up kicking 16 goals in his 6 games in 1974.

I’m not sure from what I’ve seen that Draper will be ready for later in the year, he still has an awful lot to learn, but is certainly is an excellent prospect for the next year or 2 once he gets a bit more game sense.

4 Likes

Bring him in, been among the best on ground, three times this season…

1 Like

Looks like a ruck but moves like a mid. Seriously fast hands and feet.

1 Like

Yep season over IT’S TIME

4 Likes

Lets hope we uncovered a diamond in the rough.

Curtains on the season=Bring in Draper?

1 Like

You betcha

Big Sammy Draper gonna be putting into Chopstick’s hands 2018 Round 1.

3 Likes

Nope, he debuts on anzac day to mason cox the magpies.

1 Like