Welcome to Essendon - Sam Michael

• Courtesy of EFC website 25/02/2016*
    Essendon has finalised its playing list with confirmation Sam Michael has agreed to terms for the 2016 season.

The former Brisbane Lion is the tenth new recruit to join the Club in the last five weeks.

The 22-year-old ruckman has been training with the Bombers over the last few weeks.

“Sam’s attitude throughout this process has been excellent and we’re excited by what he can bring to the Club this season,” Essendon List and Recruiting Manager Adrian Dodoro said.

“He is a strong-bodied ruckman who complements the big men already on our list.”

Michael played three games for the Lions before joining Essendon throughout its NAB Challenge campaign last season.

“Sam is well known to us now through his participation in training in recent weeks and also last year’s pre-season,” Dodoro said.

“He gets another opportunity at AFL level now and we’re confident he is a good fit to round out our playing list.”

Michael joins Ryan Crowley, James Kelly, Jonathan Simpkin, Mathew Stokes, Matt Dea, Mark Jamar, Sam Grimley, James Polkinghorne and Nathan Grima as the new recruits on the Bombers playing list.

“This is obviously a unique situation, but given the circumstances, we’re pleased with the outcome,” Essendon General Manager of Football Operations Rob Kerr said.

“Adrian Dodoro and his recruiting team have done an excellent job to source such talent and experience given every club had finalised its list.

“We’re excited about the opportunity for our young players to learn from these guys and also for the opportunity these new recruits have to make the most of another chance on an AFL list.”

Essendon opens its NAB Challenge campaign this Sunday against Carlton.

Would love to see him play the Jamar role at FF this week, with a bit of a run in the ruck. At this stage offers more than SMACK.

He is an immovable object down there.

I told you all of this* months ago.

Sole guy to high-five him off at Bendigo doesn’t attend his AFL debut. Sawft.

• OK, not the gory details about the prawns, but that he actually lives the “when you’re not training, you’re eating” mantra.

I like his physicality and desire but he can’t really jump. Hickey slaughtered him in the centre bounces. Happy for him to have a go around the ground but no more in the centre please.

Someone needs to gif his big grab

Funny, because when I eat like that, everybody calls me a fat c*nt.

I think a few of the other boys could do well to adopt his diet.

I reckon he’ll get another game this week. I thought he went surprisingly well againt St Kilda and, more importantly, Woosha seemed to think so too - talked him up a bit after the game but didn’t say anything about McKernan’s effort.

I hope he plays again for us. Having a tall and physical player who looks angry can’t be bad, plus I think we owe him something for putting his life on hold for a year to help us.

Half a kilo of prawns for breakfast. What a brilliant nutter.

IF SAM Michael has the same hunger to succeed on the field as the physical appetite he reportedly possesses off it, then his future at AFL level seems assured.
Michael, the former Lion who made his Essendon debut in Sunday’s loss to St Kilda, is well known at the Bombers for his ability to put away plateloads of food, going so far as bringing his own ‘briefcase’ loaded with food such as roast chickens.

Speaking on this week’s SuperFooty podcast, Herald Sun reporter Sam Edmund recalled how a Bombers official told of the lengths Michael, listed at 199cm and 101kg on the club’s website, goes to keep his body fuelled.
“He said, ‘You know, Sam Michael is an incredible eater’,” Edmund said.
“And I looked at him and I thought, ‘He is a big unit’. He said, ‘The guy (Michael) … brings — and the way it was described to me was a briefcase of food — to the club each day.
“I said, ‘You don’t feed him there?’
“He said, ‘No, no, the food we have — it’s not enough for him. He brings in roast chickens, everything’.
“It’s in this case and he opens it up and he chows down on it throughout the day.
“He’s been known on the pre-season camps — the food’s not enough for him — to go shopping by himself, load up the trolley, take it back to his room and cook it up himself.
“The guy can eat. If footy doesn’t work out, the hot dog eating championships in New York might work out!”

Earlier this year Michael told the Herald Sun he was so particular about his diet that he did in fact take his lunch to work.
During the pre-season he based his regimen on fresh fruit, vegetables and lean meat. Breakfast was three eggs, sauteed kale, grilled chicken and half an avocado while dinner consisted of half a kilo of organic meat, with broccoli, avocado and sweet potato.
But it was his efforts during a club community visit to Seymour that had his teammates talking.
“I knew for breakfast there was going to be cereal and milk, so I had to duck over to Woolies and grab half a kilo of prawns, spinach and avocado and mix it in one of those little hotel bowls,” he said.
“It was a good little concoction. Prawns are my favourite food.”

Great to finally have a full list again. Exciting times ahead. Unlucky for many that didnt get a look at, but trust Dodoro and Co. to get the best available. :slight_smile:

Tap it to Stokesy.

Not enough Sam Michael threads

Hooray!

Depth.

ignore thread as 3 simultaneous threads appeared. The race of the keystrokes! :slight_smile:

Welcome anyway.

Mods…Please delete thread.

Michael joins Bombers
essendonfc.com.au
25 February 2016 11:17 AM

Essendon has finalised its playing list with confirmation Sam Michael has agreed to terms for the 2016 season.

The former Brisbane Lion is the tenth new recruit to join the Club in the last five weeks.

The 22-year-old ruckman has been training with the Bombers over the last few weeks.

“Sam’s attitude throughout this process has been excellent and we’re excited by what he can bring to the Club this season,” Essendon List and Recruiting Manager Adrian Dodoro said.

“He is a strong-bodied ruckman who complements the big men already on our list.”

Michael played three games for the Lions before joining Essendon throughout its NAB Challenge campaign last season.

“Sam is well known to us now through his participation in training in recent weeks and also last year’s pre-season,” Dodoro said.

“He gets another opportunity at AFL level now and we’re confident he is a good fit to round out our playing list.”

Michael joins Ryan Crowley, James Kelly, Jonathan Simpkin, Mathew Stokes, Matt Dea, Mark Jamar, Sam Grimley, James Polkinghorne and Nathan Grima as the new recruits on the Bombers playing list.

“This is obviously a unique situation, but given the circumstances, we’re pleased with the outcome,” Essendon General Manager of Football Operations Rob Kerr said.

“Adrian Dodoro and his recruiting team have done an excellent job to source such talent and experience given every club had finalised its list.

“We’re excited about the opportunity for our young players to learn from these guys and also for the opportunity these new recruits have to make the most of another chance on an AFL list.”

Essendon opens its NAB Challenge campaign this Sunday against Carlton.

Not enough Sam Michael threads
Sorry I was sooooo slow... unlike everyone else. Merged.

Solid pick up, given Looney is injured and Jamar isn’t ready. Keeps SMack free for the forward line and relief ruck work, rather than having to shoulder the bulk of it, most games. At 22 he will be raw, but being a big unit, he will have bags of enthusuiasm. Good pick up. If he does well this year, l hope we draft him. That means he can’t afford to do too well, or else someone else will pick him up. Yeah, nah, stuff it. l want him to dominate and hang the consequences for the future.