Welcome To Essendon - Tom Wallis

I was 3 years old and remember nothing of it but the thought of '99 makes my blood boil.
My dad was conceived about two months before the 1948 Grand Final and I’m still scarred. 1999 was but a blip.

Even talking about the son of Dean conjures 99 pain.

spooky!

So many sadistic blitzers, stop it goiys.

I would say they are acting masochistically…

I've always maintained that 1999 set the foundation for our best ever year in 2000, and arguably the best ever season of any team in the AFL.

I think the hurt was a big driving factor for the merciless brute force of 2000. With the off-night of the game against the Doggies, no team got closer than a 3 goals to us in 2000, and most games had an 8-10 goal margin.

And, we toweled up Fark Carlton 3 times that year, including the epic round 20 game in front of 91,000 where it was arguably the top 2 teams playing off ahead of the finals, and Mark Johnson collided with Kouta and he did his pcl, meaning it was a dirty dirty night for Fark Carlton.

Yeah, 1999 sucked. But it led to 2000, which was the best possible response ever (apart from the one doggies blemish).

I think it was Jason Johnson who collided in a mid air marking duel with Kouta that blew out his knee.

The first half of the Prelim was what lost it for us in '99.

Giving Fark Carlton a four goal lead at half time put the team in the unfamiliar position of having to chase a game down (apart from that late season game against the Crows at Docklands where Longy’s six goals helped them come back from a seven or eight goal deficit), otherwise nearly all our games were decided by halftime that season.

I think Sheeds even alluded to the players attitude before the game, thinking that all they had to do was just turn up and they’d win and that that had concerned him leading into game.

That lazy, arrogant first half effort and letting a farking big, fat, lumbering oaf like Lance Whitnall off the leash to wreak havoc is what farked us that year IMO.

Arnt you confusing 2000 with 1999? Docklands didnt exist in 1999 and the crows game with Long was def 2000.

Giving Fark Carlton a four goal lead at half time put the team in the unfamiliar position of having to chase a game down (apart from that late season game against the Crows at Docklands where Longy’s six goals helped them come back from a seven or eight goal deficit), otherwise nearly all our games were decided by halftime that season.

I think Sheeds even alluded to the players attitude before the game, thinking that all they had to do was just turn up and they’d win and that that had concerned him leading into game.

That lazy, arrogant first half effort and letting a farking big, fat, lumbering oaf like Lance Whitnall off the leash to wreak havoc is what farked us that year IMO.

Arnt you confusing 2000 with 1999? Docklands didnt exist in 1999 and the crows game with Long was def 2000.

Yes you’re correct Wolf…my bad.

Memory’s getting a little hazy these days. Thanks for the correction.

Welcome to DELUXE BAR AND LOUNGE - Tom Wallis

Just need a Barnes to go with him to keep up the Squadron 617 connection. Couldn't believe it when Barnes and Wallis arrived at the bombers in the same year in the 80s! Even down to the spelling of Wallis.

Anyone who has no idea what I’m talking about should go read Brickhill’s book about the Dam Busters. Plenty of Australians feature, including ‘Mick’ Martin (real name Sir Harold Brownlow Martin) (footy name coincidental references galore), considered to have been the greatest pilot ever in the RAF (transferred from RAAF), above even Guy Gibson.

Wally played some seriously good footy when it mattered, that game in 99 should have been locked away well before the last minute if that team had played anything like it should have; can’t blame one mistake for the loss.

I blame the coaching staff and the leadership group. When Mercuri kicked the point the word should have been given to play man-on-man rather than the zone for the kick-in. With less than a minute to go Carlton were allowed effortlessly to run the ball out of defense.

Hardwick won that game off the hbf. Repelled everything in the comeback and was the reason we won.
Just need a Barnes to go with him to keep up the Squadron 617 connection. Couldn't believe it when Barnes and Wallis arrived at the bombers in the same year in the 80s! Even down to the spelling of Wallis.

Anyone who has no idea what I’m talking about should go read Brickhill’s book about the Dam Busters. Plenty of Australians feature, including ‘Mick’ Martin (real name Sir Harold Brownlow Martin) (footy name coincidental references galore), considered to have been the greatest pilot ever in the RAF (transferred from RAAF), above even Guy Gibson.

Wally played some seriously good footy when it mattered, that game in 99 should have been locked away well before the last minute if that team had played anything like it should have; can’t blame one mistake for the loss.

I blame the coaching staff and the leadership group. When Mercuri kicked the point the word should have been given to play man-on-man rather than the zone for the kick-in. With less than a minute to go Carlton were allowed effortlessly to run the ball out of defense.

Jack and James Barnes both play for Doutta stars but not good enough for afl level

I've always maintained that 1999 set the foundation for our best ever year in 2000, and arguably the best ever season of any team in the AFL.

I think the hurt was a big driving factor for the merciless brute force of 2000. With the off-night of the game against the Doggies, no team got closer than a 3 goals to us in 2000, and most games had an 8-10 goal margin.

And, we toweled up Fark Carlton 3 times that year, including the epic round 20 game in front of 91,000 where it was arguably the top 2 teams playing off ahead of the finals, and Mark Johnson collided with Kouta and he did his pcl, meaning it was a dirty dirty night for Fark Carlton.

Yeah, 1999 sucked. But it led to 2000, which was the best possible response ever (apart from the one doggies blemish).

it’s a hard thing to judge that period.

most cos you consider since then brissy, geelong and hawthorn have had dynasty periods when they’ve been at their peaks.

we got 1 absolutely great season, and 2 oh so close ones. might have made the next 15 years a little more bearable if we were 2 time premiership team back them.

just goes to show when it’s your turn, you have to do everything right to win them.

Hardwick won that game off the hbf. Repelled everything in the comeback and was the reason we won.
I wasn’t there but I understand Lloyd moving to CHB also swung the game back our way.

I wasn’t there but I understand Lloyd moving to CHB also swung the game back our way.

I remember that game well. For me, the game turned on a moment that was James Hird’s. We were well down, but we had been playing lazily, just slacking off, taking the easy option, for the whole night, and I think everyone there knew that if we really switched on then we’d win, notwithstanding the deficit on the scoreboard.

James Hird switched us on. The was a point, I can’t remember when, when Adelaide had attacked, and the ball was headed toward the boundary line in our back pocket. The easy option would have been to let the ball go out, have a throw-in and so on. But Hird didn’t take the easy option. He sprinted hard, got the ball before it went out, turned upfield and kicked it to a teammate. That effort of his switched the whole team on, we got a goal from that move and from then on the result was inevitable. I’ve never forgotten it.

can we just not talk about his dads deeds or misdeeds.

im sure tom is perfectly capable of making irreversible, gut wrenching, life haunting mistakes on his own.

Welcome to DELUXE BAR AND LOUNGE - Tom Wallis

Prism Wallis.

Woosha said tonight that he was Mitch Wallis’ cousin. I had no idea.

Out for 6-8 with a hammy

That’s a fair old hammy

Out for 6-8 with a hammy

Apple doesnt fall far from the tree

Most likely a fairly conservative approach given his age.