West Taiwan (aka CHINA)

Does not help that only 20 films per year and those allowed are so tightly controlled and cannot have any reference to anything that may offended the thin skinned ■■■■■■■. No movies of any substance ever make it to the screens here

2 Likes

A few countries have local content rules - direct or indirect ( via tax breaks) - justified for cultural reasons.
Before I lived in a Francophone region I was unaware that the French made so many crap films and TV shows.

The Fiji TimesPM terminates MOU - The Fiji Times

1 Like

Memorandums of Understanding do not have treaty status and can be signed at below central Government level .
They can be overruled or rendered ineffective at central government
The stoush between Dictator Dan and the Feds on the Vic Belt and Road MOU is relevant.

1 Like

Watch now for the Global Times response

1 Like

The US recently reactivated their embassy in Fiji. I’d assume there’s been a bit of horse trading behind the scenes.

Many small nations will be playing the two superpowers off against each other, looking for freebies.

2 Likes

Fiji elections concluded and close results accepted without a coup, sighs of relief all round.

3 Likes

It will contain phrases about how deeply the feelings of the Chinese people have been hurt.

1 Like

US General’s prediction: ‘There will be war with China in 2025’

Mary Kay Linge and NY Post

A four-star US general has told his officers to “prepare for war with China” within two years, though the government is playing it down.

A four-star US air force general has told his officers to prepare for war with China within two years — instructing them to drill service members “with the full understanding that unrepentant lethality matters most.”

“I hope I am wrong,” Mike Minihan, head of the 50,000-member Air Mobility Command, wrote in the chilling Friday memo, NBC News reported.

“My gut tells me we will fight in 2025.”

The Department of Defense sought to downplay the memo. “These comments are not representative of the department’s view on China,” a spokesperson said, according to the **New York Post.

A four-star air force general has told his officers to prepare for war with China within two years. Picture: Gerald WILLIS / US Department of Defense / AFP.

A four-star air force general has told his officers to prepare for war with China within two years. Picture: Gerald WILLIS / US Department of Defense / AFP.

But Minihan, a 32-year air force veteran based at Scott air force Base in Illinois, laid out his premise in terms of geopolitical logic, as tensions between China and Taiwan continue to mount.

“[Chinese President] Xi [Jinping] secured his third term and set his war council in October 2022,” the general wrote. “Taiwan’s presidential elections are in 2024 and will offer Xi a reason. United States’ presidential elections are in 2024 and will offer Xi a distracted America.

“Xi’s team, reason, and opportunity are all aligned for 2025,” Minihan concluded.

The Department of Defense sought to downplay the memo. Picture: Morowali Police / AFP.

The Department of Defense sought to downplay the memo. Picture: Morowali Police / AFP.

He directed all personnel of the AMC — the Air Force’s main mobility, evacuation, and refuelling arm — to focus on target practice in February: “Fire a clip into a 7-meter target … Aim for the head.”

He also ordered them to “consider their personal affairs and … ensure they are legally ready and prepared”.

The Chinese military has made almost daily incursions into Taiwan’s airspace and waters in recent weeks, as Beijing continues to assert its control over the independent democracy that broke away from China in 1949.

This article originally appeared in the New York Post and was republished with permission.

Fiji has now persuaded Kiribati to rejoin the Pacific Islands Forum.
Kiribati had been cosying up with West Taiwan after switching from recognition of Taiwan three or four years ago

3 Likes
1 Like

Lloyd Austin in the Philippines announces expansion of US military presence. Under the Enhanced Defense Cooperation Agreement, $82 million will be spent on base infrastructure, which would not be in conflict with the Philippines Constitution ban on the permanent basing of foreign military

1 Like

Pretty minor amount of money. I’m guessing some airport pavement, warehouses and maybe some fuel infrastructure.

US is spending mega dollars upgrading Australian bases.

No doubt Subic Bay and Clark have been regularly upgraded.

2 Likes

This has become a thing today.

Its become a thing alright …

I mean. … of course it was a weather balloon.

8z6opexWi46Xy5MJOu

1 Like

Don’t get mad, just send one back.

balloon

10 Likes
1 Like
1 Like

1 Like