What's your favourite music format? Throwback Thursday

I.e. what format do you like to listen to music on?

Couple of assumptions.

• Assume that you have the perfect set up in a room which can play any of the poll formats.
  • You have every album ever made on every format to choose from to listen to.

Don't notice much different between 320kbps mp3 and the lossless formats.

Mariachi band

Compact discs for home and car.

FLAC for downloads.

Blu-ray for movies. Far superior to dvd's.

Make sure your home system is setup digitally, HDMI etc, not analogue.

what's a 'music format' ?

Vinyl.

I love it.

A way to store 1s and 0s, magnets lined up or groves emulating a sound wave.

list seems a mix of audio formats, mediums to store music on ,and devices for playback.

What are Cd’s and what is it that itunes converts them too?

DVD-Audio (similar to SACD) is pretty darn good to listen to.

Pity I’ve only got a few disks.

Beautiful clean sound.

Just close your eyes and you’d swear the musicians are in your living room.

list seems a mix of audio formats, mediums to store music on ,and devices for playback.

It's a throwback thread, not a technical specs thread!

Live music slaughters all recorded formats

I've been through the eras of vinyl, cassettes, cds and now digital formats

Because I am so lazy....I prefer digital via my ipod which is hooked up into my surround sound system.

Get up in the morning, turn it on and have an endless stream of personally selected music (via shuffle function) until I go to bed.

I really like listening to vinyl but to do that requires getting up from the couch and changing the damn things every 15-20 minutes.

Still doing CDs in the car though.

Remember taking a walkman on a jog for the first time? Super-slow-mode engaged! Not quite appropriate for exercise.

Last time I bothered.

I'll say it again. mp3s make me lose interest in music.

Uncompressed wav. My hearing is so good I can hear 50hz coming out of power sockets.

How long til a vinyls starts to wear? I do find them to be quite beautiful, but I think it’d be a pain to know you spent all this money on your music then it just loses its quality in the end. I’m a cd girl, I haven’t really listened to one in a while as I’ve just got my amp connected to my pod, but I just like buying music in its physical form.

Yeah, records look awesome.

Remember having a yellow one (Huey Lewis & the News)

Something about cleaning it, then placing it carefully on the turntable, and hearing the static whilst anticipating the intro to the first track.

{heads off to Ebay to source a cheap turntable}

Vinyl on my two Technics sl 1210's. Nothing like digging deep into the collection and dusting off some tunes. I've contemplated digitalising it all (i've got about 250 records) and selling it to free up room but everytime i put a plate on the turntable i cant bring myself to sell them.

vinyl.. still have about 8000 albums etc including some of the rarest test pressings, f*ups (claptons double b sided 33's) promo's, acetates, white labels, picture discs, discs of all colours (the PINK parkerilla!) shapes and sizes, EP's: chisels "you're 13 etc", singles of all shapes and sizes, pressings from all over the globe, boots by the 1000's (including a boot of Mick in a hotel room buying boots from the guy behind swinging pig lol), 78's includng very rare book bound musicals from the 30 & 40's and ... the covers, a lot so good they're on the wall.

Eventually my son will get them.. not that he'll care much lol.