What annoys you?

It is. Many councils will provide traps for free to use for a few weeks/months.

I think there;s a few Green /Consevation groups that will too.

Kill them all.

Can you put some chicken wire over where they are getting in?

1 Like

Will look into it. They get into the vents so its a matter of ensuring whether I can hold in place while still allowing the unit to be able to be easily accessible to maintenance people.

Put a rubber snake on your roof.

I had the same problem when I lived in Adelaide last century with those farking birds.

We put a bird net over the whole thing and you could not even notice it, but it did the trick.

In any case if you can climb on the roof, clean the filter pads yourself, easy to do.

Hmm, … or maybe a plastic Owl. Bunnings have them.

There’s some other methods too …

https://www.hunker.com/13405796/how-to-get-rid-of-mynah-birds

But all of them really just makes them someone elses problem, … or your’s again if they suss things out They seriously need to be wiped out at every opportunity.

Dead one’s don’t breed, . and therefore can’t kill our native birds,

KILL KILL KILL!!!

Show no mercy for rats of the sky
Andrew Rule, HeraldSun
5-7 minutes

SERIAL killing might not be for everyone, but everyone should at least give it some thought.

You have to admit that as new year’s resolutions go, it has a bit more grunt than giving up chocolate or promising to walk around the block to get rid of the Christmas padding.

Please do not call the homicide squad. We have not turned into a Down Under Dexter over the holiday break.

But we have been in touch with shadowy organisations dedicated to eradicating a serial pest - the common or garden Indian myna, aka mynah.

This does not mean subterranean workers from the subcontinent, nor teenagers in turbans. It’s a bird. Millions of them, in fact, bred from a few pairs some lunatic imported to eat insects in market gardens in the 1860s. The same lunatic who also brought in blackberries, they say.

This quinella puts him up with Thomas Austin, who thought it would be spiffing to release a few bunnies on the estate in the Western District, thus starting one of Australia’s greatest ecological disasters. Let’s not mention the genius who imported cane toads.

THE myna is now voted Australia’s worst pest, ahead of cane toads, rabbits, foxes and feral cats, pigs and Collingwood supporters.

It is high on the world Conservation Union’s list of the world’s worst 100 invasive species - not surprising, given it has invaded everywhere from South Africa to North America. Fiji once had plenty of native birds; now 83 per cent of its birds are mynas.

This is what’s happening in the entire eastern seaboard, from Cairns to South Australia. Mynas are second only to habitat loss as a threat to native birds.

Some call them cane toads with wings. “Flying rats” also fits.

They nest in roofs and gutters and push native species out of hollow trees. They make huge nests from paper, dry grass, twigs and leaves. Apart from the fire risk, the nests infest houses with bird lice, which can make you sick.

Mynas eat the eggs and kill the young of native species. They attack cats and magpies, kookaburras and currawongs - brown dive-bombers screeching blue murder.

They are about the size of a mudlark but heavier, with a brown body and dark head and neck, lairy yellow legs and beak and a flash of white under the wings and tail.

You see them in the garden, on the footpath and playing chicken on the road. They steal your pets’ food and spatter dirty droppings on your barbecue, your washing and your car.

They’re good mimics and make a huge range of noises, mostly annoying: especially the scratchy screech when they monster cats or other birds. It sounds like fingernails on a blackboard, amplified. Then there’s the urgent alarm call they make when they spy a threat.

C.J. Dennis, the poet, wrote a verse about mynas in 1933 that included the lines:

So I swagger an’ strut an’ I cuss an’ I swagger; I’m wise to the city’s hard way. A bit of a bloke an’ a bit of a bragger; I’ve always got plenty to say.

Country people occasionally shoot mynas but it’s hardly worth the effort: for every one that’s “culled” hundreds get the message from their mates to stay away from the guy with the gun. This is no exaggeration.

A professor of psychology at Newcastle University has studied mynas and confirmed what anyone who has tried to hunt them already knows: they might be birds but they aren’t bird brains.

They are right up with ravens (the ones we call crows) when it comes to detecting a threat and warning others about it.

Marauding mynas post a guard to keep watch while they raid the neighbourhood. At the first sign of trouble, the watcher tells the gang.

They are so cunning, say the experts, they pass warnings not just to each other but from generation to generation - all part of their bid for world domination.

Mynas have one weakness. Like labradors and teenage boys, they are always hungry. This means they can be trapped.

The godfather of major myna massacre is Garry Cunich, who builds traps in his shed in suburban Sydney and sends them to several states. He scorns lesser traps, some of which are cheaper derivatives of his design.

Cunich says he spent 18 months studying caged mynas before perfecting his prototype trap. In war terms, this makes it the Spitfire of the backyard blitz on bandit birds.

His eureka moment came in 2004 in a caravan park infested with mynas. Since then he has made 4000 traps. Delighted disciples have reported catching 280,000 mynas, but he reckons maybe another 120,000 have been caught.

ANTI-myna activists say 1500 breeding pairs can multiply into 500,000 birds in three years. On that arithmetic, dedicated trappers (like the ones in the fledgling Yarra Indian Myna Action Group) have already prevented millions of the pests being hatched.

The result is that native birds are coming back to gardens where mynas evicted them years ago.

But this is no time for complacency. The price of freedom from mynas is eternal vigilance. We shall fight them on the beaches, in the fields and on the streets. And, in my case, near the clothesline.

In NSW, councils buy traps and lead the way with eradication. In Victoria, for no apparent reason, the state has never bothered declaring mynas a pest species.

That means it’s up to us serial killers.

(But please release any miners or minors. They’re protected.)

Originally published as Backyard blitz on birds

Also, they get up early and call out across the rooftops, well, earlier than I care for.

Eradicate them.

And while we’re at it, eradicate all non-indigenous animals, the scum.
All of them. Kill them all. They are taking our jobs/friends.
We need a Water Wall.

1 Like

Human as well ?

1 Like

Exactly.
Sharp, you are.

Here is something that makes me crankier every year. Watching folks in corporate jobs treat their subordinates with barely concealed contempt and then turn around and act subservient when their bosses are around…

4 Likes

2 parter.

breaking the law mower.

having to fix the law mower.

Health Insurance Extras

Spend a fortune to get your moneys worth

1 Like

Tried that. The bastards weren’t afraid.

My mum swears by health insurance but every time she has an operation she is still out of pocket thousands…

Yeah, … like I said, … they’re very bluddy cluey the bastards, and the best thing to do is trap and kill.

The Fed Gov should put a bounty on them. and a National campaign mounted to exterminate them at every opportunity.

My mum swears by it as well. With dad’s heart and mums ongoing issues they are up about $100k.

Getting surgery now vs months from now.

for some its worth it.

1 Like

Flipside of that, nothing has ever given me more glee than when the ■■■■■■■■ middle mgmt folks who sacked Mrs Pills & tried to weasel their way out of the redundancy payout she was entitled to got sacked about 6 months later.
Being an ■■■■■■■■ eventually catches up with you .

4 Likes

Biggest conjob in the country.

1 Like