What annoys you?

They know you have and can utilize boomerangs.

Saying surreptitious when I meant serendipitous and very reasonably getting ‘what?’ looks.

Maybe just say lucky, next time.

Geez, you kill a crane ONE time and no one ever lets you forget it.

3 Likes

Sweep the leg!

1 Like

People calling anything with bechamel sauce on it lasagne.

It’s just not cricket calcio!

What should it be then?

Pasticio

2 Likes

Yeah, I don’t know what that is.
But it should be something.
It cant’ be just meat and pasta and some crap cheese on top.

Pasta al Forno ?

1 Like

Really? I quite like pasta.

:slightly_smiling_face:

Me too.

My Sicilian neighbours used to make theirs without the bechamel sauce, was very yummy. However I grew up eating my mum’s Pasta al Forno and she always made it with bechamel.

I will say it wasn’t til my teens that I heard it called Lasagna, it was always Pasta al Forno in our house.

2 Likes

My mother-in-law (Aussie of English descent) is the daughter-in-law of a very strict Sicilian woman, who insisted she learn how to cook properly for her boy.
So…

Am not surprised. :smiley::smiley:

Pasta Al forno can be made with almost any type of pasta and almost any ingredients. Usually just mixed together roughly and baked.

With the lasagne, I’m stirring a bit, it’s just a regional thing I think. I grew up used to layers of sauce, mince, peas, prosciutto, mozzarella cheese and pasta sheets. With more sauce on top sprinkled with parmeasan.

1 Like

A pitchy story from you. Were you wearing a pitch helmet at the time? Was it a tarry tarry night?

Sounds lovely and not lasagne.

Lol, like I said, it’s regional, maybe even towns within regions.

With most people I knew, who admittedly were mostly from southern regions, if you served it smothered in bechamel they’d be saying wtf is this crap on top? They all had variations, but none had bechamel.

To me that’s lasagne, doesn’t matter what anyone else thinks.

3 Likes

Essentially, … Lasagna is just the name for the flat pasta folks.

What you do with it then, really makes it Lasagna something.

When it comes to the Bolognese one we all know and love, … I know Norhern Italy is trad Bechamel, and the South is trad, sans Bechamel.

Always wondered if at the time, the southern peasant class couldn’t afford, or didn’t have a lot of Milk after cheese making or something?

Also, IIRC, Al forno just means “Baked in the oven”

My version of the last decade, has a proper slow cooked shredded beef/tomato ragu rather than mince, with layers of Culatello ham or prosciutto,… and a blend of Ricotta Mozzarella, & Parmesan has been used instead of the Bechamel, since I was going to dinner at Italian mates homes during high school, and one Nonna made it so, and I got her recipe. (I add course ground BP to the cheese mix these days,)

I don’t go much for the sloppiness usually associated with Bechamel, the one I make is much drier, and when cut, stands straight & square like a 7 storey tower block.

It’s basically whatever the hell you want it to be, I’ve had, and also cooked myself, some amazing Vego ones over the journey too.

And after writing all about it , … I’m now going to get a ragu going in the slow cooker so I can knock one up for tomorrow night. :yum:

Thank you thread,

4 Likes

Sorry to go all Brwuce on you but that sounds mouthwateringly “Delicious”!

1 Like

Mmmm…lasagna.

When I first went to Campari in Hardware Lane (a Friday lunchtime tradition), we’d go Lasagna, Semifreddo and Capuccino for $2.40. Mate of mine was going a couple of years before that, and it was $1.20.

2 Likes