What do we need/ how far off long term success are we?

New CEO
New president
New on-field leaders
More money for the footballer department
Better fitness team
Skills coach
Goal kicking coach
New list management team. (Seriously, stop picking HFF/HBF and trying to turn them into mids)
2 new assistant coaches (after the current appointments)

Get all that right first before even thinking about being successful again.

8 Likes

See above

Eleventy years

I would still ditch the CEO and president. Ok, we were profitable but they’ve cut back on costs, that’s why. Jackson did the same thing and it set us back a number of years.

1 Like

Surely we are rich enough as a club to max out the football department cap every year. There should be zero excuses for that.

1 Like

And you can actually exceed the cap. People forget that. But all you do is pay a luxury tax back to the AFL. There’s no other sanctions…

1 Like

We are still suffering from the setback that Jackson did to us.

2 Likes

We need to rejuvenate the list but it doesn’t need to be with superstars. Richmond have shown the way. Sure Martin and Lynch are high picks and key players, but their success is built just as much on system and making the most of the players they’ve got or can easily get through trading, and who can play to the system.

Balme is key to this. He’s always been about team first and keeping it simple.Their system is simple. Richmond never have a weak player in a contest, always have multiple guys at the contest… they still make mistakes because there’s lots of spuds in their best 18, but with multiple guys at a contest instead of just one, there’s always someone to mop up and cover. Saw it again yesterday.

Meanwhile we lament the skills of our players when theyre not that much worse than the average. Numbers and strength around the contest is what makes the Tiges look like guns… they’re missing kicks and hand passes as much as the rest of the comp… just don’t look like it because they still find a way to get the ball forward.

1 Like

What do we need/ how far off long term success are we and how many threads will be created to discuss the exact same thing.

Need our players to learn selflessness,
Need to take the ownership to get as fit as possible,
Need to learn the art of tackling,
Need to toughen up and a harder edge,
Need our stars injury free,
Need to have fun and build better relationships,
Better decision making and skills,
Celebrate success.

Dramatic change in training program and focusing on personal growth will go a long way.

3 Likes

I’m really not convinced Richmond have so many of these ‘spuds’ in their team. Their mid-tier is stacked with very good footballers. Edwards, Caddy, Grimes, Vlaustin, Houli, Rioli, Lambert, Bolton - they are better than soldiers who just do the team thing.

I think the solid-team player trope is a bit of nonsense around the Tigers.

5 Likes

No trope. Many of those guys have glaring weaknesses, were picks in the high 20s to 40s, preseason draft picks, or let go by other clubs.

A lot of the reason they’re good players is because of the setup at Richmond.

1 Like

we got no hope of long term success until each and every person who was with us during the saga has left the club. That period of time has been an absolute cancer to our club, its culture and the mindset of the players.

I reckon we are ten years off achieving long term success. At least.

Well I would completely dispute that.

Also - how has the bolded got anything to do with the calibre of player they are?? What a strange comment!

Is Houli not a very good player because he was let go by Essendon??
Is Lambert not a very good player because he was drafted as a rookie?
Edwards I suppose is bog ordinary because of his draft position?

Nonsense.

?

Didn’t I say they’re good players?

Where did I say Edwards was ‘bog ordinary’ or any of your other sh7thouse paraphrasing?

OK we agree - they are good players. So the trope of ordinary footballers who are only ‘good’ because of the system is a falsehood, which was my point.

Don’t forget that Richmond were sh*t until they weren’t. It can happen very quickly, and come from unlikely places.

4 Likes

Yes, they can turn quick, but 37 years was a long wait for the Tigers. Let’s hope it’s not 2037 before we taste it again.

1 Like

They keep talking about being ruthless, yet we still offer 3-4 year contracts to players who are not going to improve them or who have been plodding along for not a lot of consistent output.

Forget about our bottom 5 or 6, our top 5 or 6 are quite average compared to other clubs when you exclude the players we traded into the team. This shows that there is either a problem with the recruiting or development (most likely both).
So what have we done to change that? Promote Dodoro? Get Luke Ball in (apparently)

Can anyone see any of our kids (basically from McGrath in 2016 to present) becoming a top 5 or top 10 player in the competition?

Basically we will have about 10-12 best 22 players who are nothing more than “good, ordinary players” but without the right coaching they will be found out immensely on the big stage and we will continue to win just 10-12 games a year.

Richmond and Collingwood cleaned out their assistant coaches, neither of the two have an assistant coach that has been there from 2012 or 2013 (talking 5 years before their cleanout). We still have 2 (granted Harvey went away to Freo but is now back)

2 Likes

Jasonstockholm opened this thread with his very first post and he’s only 18, but he’s got some pretty good insights imo. The major issue he identifies is lack of aggression and ruthlessness, and he’s dead right. Simply having the players go at full intensity, all game every game, would produce a massive improvement. He’s also right about the absence of any truly talented young key position players; we hope for the best with Zerk-Thatcher, but he’s pretty much untried and he’s very light.

Where’s the hope on the horizon, the light on the hill?

Don’t know. Can’t see one at the moment.