What does Grand Final day mean to you?

Watching the game would require me to care about the AFL. I don't. The finals series is forever tainted as we were denied our spot in the finals for no justifiable reason. A slur on football.

And that ■■■■■■ me off as grand final day became - have a massive bbq and get drunk day along with it being a large social event for the family. Always had heaps of fun.

FARK YOU AFL for ruining this year for me!!!

I will be going to the SANFL grand final the following week. Just hope it is a better spectacle than last year.

= drinks

since 92  a large group of us always organize a bbq/drinks day , we catch up with people from interstate , and people we havent seen for years know its on and float through , neighbors who have now passed on RIP are remembered 

i am still suffering from a mental blackout from 2001  , i cannot remember anything from 3/4 time and ended up in another suburb at someones place lol no idea how we got there lol

we have only missed 2 grand finals since 92 ...  port vs bris  ( no one was interested so we went fishing and listened on the radio ) and hawks vs cats  out of respect for someone that had passed away

this year will be our 3rd miss , our 1 hawks supporter is going to the game and everyone else has lost interest with it due to the essendon situation all year .....half in protest and half in not interested in watching a flood for 4 quarters lol 

Usually get up and about for it, but I'm burned out on footy this year.

Plenty of mates coming over for beers and the game. If that wasn't happening, I probably wouldn't watch it at all.

Going to work. Will be on tv, so by my reasoning will get paid to watch although I’d rather not as am now anti AFL.

Could not give a flying Fark about Tomorrow.

I hate the AFL

I hate Hawthorn

I extremely dislike Fremantle

No reason to acknowledge the game, except for putting a few cold ones away.

The game's turned ugly - and I wouldn't be Lyon

Date September 27, 2013 - 12:02AM
Stephen Alomes

Ross Lyon's style of play puts the future of Australian football under threat.

ZAH_lyon_LN-20130926183948197108-300x0.j

Fremantle coach Ross Lyon. Photo: Pat Scala

After a year of sport involving pharmacology, match-fixing, gambling and bad behaviour, off and on the field, one code has come down to tomorrow. For all the wrong reasons.

For this Saturday may well be the darkest day in Australian sport. And it will occur on the field.

The threat to football traditions comes from a "win at all costs" culture, and how the game is played. Football has changed over the last 20 years, at first imperceptibly, now fundamentally.

The on-field threat comes from the seeming good, and the certainly inscrutable – the $1.5 million man, Paul Roos, and the laconic coach of Fremantle, Ross Lyon.

Advertisement

These orchestrators, or evil geniuses, have fundamentally changed the character of the game, with a little help from Rodney, Mick, John and others. Rodney Eade introduced the flood, Roos turned it into the forward press, as did Lyon at St Kilda, and, at Collingwood, Mick Malthouse added love of the boundary line.

Gyms, rugby league-style tackling and aerobic capacity have created the new siege game perfected in all its ugliness by Fremantle. I call it Tackleball and Stoppageball, Robert Walls uses "rolling scrum", Drew Morphett "mobile wrestling", Ted Hopkins refers to Ugby (fusing rugby and ugly). In this Umpireball, the game of stoppages and throw-ins, the umpires get more touches than most players.

The Lyon game is the extreme version of the forward press: ugliness personified and "Smotherball" are the latest deformities imposed on the game. Footy is about the contested ball. It is also about kicking and marking, handballing and goaling. At its best it is hard but honourable, as in tough finals. There is nothing honourable about a culture expressed in the new Lyon language of football. No coach has ever referred as much as the Freo supremo to the game as "war", to "going into battle", to a "brutal" game.

The new game, where more than 30 players are inside the 50-metre line of one side, and where the ball ricochets from one scrambled or smothered kick or handball to another, might interest some rugby aficionados. "Manic (or maniac) pressure" is not football. That's why seasoned commentators, including Walls and David Parkin, celebrate watching Geelong play, and more recently Hawthorn.

Fremantle is appreciated for endeavour and for winning tight games. While, as with Lyon's losing St Kilda sides, some talented players, such as Nick Riewoldt and Lenny Hayes, Matthew Pavlich and Michael Walters, temporarily redeem the ugliness, the game they play is not football.

Lyon is the Douglas Jardine – the England Bodyline captain – of Australian football. He operates within the rules, but against the spirit of the game, and with that Essendon-style theme of "win at all costs".

The Lyon experiment failed at St Kilda. Why? Because if you turn the game into trench warfare you can win or lose by inches. Because the infamous "bubble", insulating players from the world around them, may have led to recurrent bad behaviour.

There is a very simple solution to save footy from the coaches.

Aside from Hawthorn kicking long beyond the press to strong-marking players on Saturday, one simple rule change will save the game from coaching destructiveness. That is each team must have a minimum of four players behind each 50-metre line.

That simple measure, controlled by the video umpire, will ensure that the maximum number of players in the press is 28. Players will take contested marks at both ends of the ground, particularly as the eight players in the other goals compete for the ball. Most footy supporters don't want a mad scramble – an Auskick match with everyone on the ball. They like close matches, but they want a football game to break out on a footy oval, not just an arm-wrestle inside 50.

The future of Australian football is under threat on Saturday. If Fremantle prevails in the "brutal battle", all coaches will be turned into boa constrictors seeking to deny their opposition "time and space". That will appeal to wrestling and rugby aficionados. But the destructive press and low scores are not what the most creative of the football codes is about.

A Lyon premiership, which will make every coach emulate his strategies and tactics, will not be good for football. As David Cooney observes, if all football becomes Lyonised, how many will turn up to watch?

As a Geelong supporter who also barracks for the future of footy, reluctantly I say, "Go Hawks!"

RMIT University sports historian Stephen Alomes is the author of Australian Football The People's Game 1958-2058.

I have absolutely no interest in this game. The AFL competition is currently very ugly and morally bankrupt.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/comment/the-games-turned-ugly--and-i-wouldnt-be-lyon-20130926-2ugy2.html#ixzz2g3ZasBi8

It will be the first GF I’ll miss as long as I can remember. Going out for lunch and shopping with a friend. I never usually do anything exciting for it anyway so it’s no big deal.

Whoever the AFL think should win is who will win.  They've shown this year how good they are at orchestrating and getting their way.

Stephen Alomes

After a year of sport involving pharmacology, match-fixing, gambling and bad behaviour, off and on the field, one code has come down to tomorrow. For all the wrong reasons.

For this Saturday may well be the darkest day in Australian sport. And it will occur on the field.

The threat to football traditions comes from a "win at all costs" culture, and how the game is played. Football has changed over the last 20 years, at first imperceptibly, now fundamentally.

The on-field threat comes from the seeming good, and the certainly inscrutable – the $1.5 million man, Paul Roos, and the laconic coach of Fremantle, Ross Lyon.

Advertisement

These orchestrators, or evil geniuses, have fundamentally changed the character of the game, with a little help from Rodney, Mick, John and others. Rodney Eade introduced the flood, Roos turned it into the forward press, as did Lyon at St Kilda, and, at Collingwood, Mick Malthouse added love of the boundary line.

Gyms, rugby league-style tackling and aerobic capacity have created the new siege game perfected in all its ugliness by Fremantle. I call it Tackleball and Stoppageball, Robert Walls uses "rolling scrum", Drew Morphett "mobile wrestling", Ted Hopkins refers to Ugby (fusing rugby and ugly). In this Umpireball, the game of stoppages and throw-ins, the umpires get more touches than most players.

The Lyon game is the extreme version of the forward press: ugliness personified and "Smotherball" are the latest deformities imposed on the game. Footy is about the contested ball. It is also about kicking and marking, handballing and goaling. At its best it is hard but honourable, as in tough finals. There is nothing honourable about a culture expressed in the new Lyon language of football. No coach has ever referred as much as the Freo supremo to the game as "war", to "going into battle", to a "brutal" game.

The new game, where more than 30 players are inside the 50-metre line of one side, and where the ball ricochets from one scrambled or smothered kick or handball to another, might interest some rugby aficionados. "Manic (or maniac) pressure" is not football. That's why seasoned commentators, including Walls and David Parkin, celebrate watching Geelong play, and more recently Hawthorn.

Fremantle is appreciated for endeavour and for winning tight games. While, as with Lyon's losing St Kilda sides, some talented players, such as Nick Riewoldt and Lenny Hayes, Matthew Pavlich and Michael Walters, temporarily redeem the ugliness, the game they play is not football.

Lyon is the Douglas Jardine – the England Bodyline captain – of Australian football. He operates within the rules, but against the spirit of the game, and with that Essendon-style theme of "win at all costs".

The Lyon experiment failed at St Kilda. Why? Because if you turn the game into trench warfare you can win or lose by inches. Because the infamous "bubble", insulating players from the world around them, may have led to recurrent bad behaviour.

Aside from Hawthorn kicking long beyond the press to strong-marking players on Saturday, one simple rule change will save the game from coaching destructiveness. That is each team must have a minimum of four players behind each 50-metre line.

That simple measure, controlled by the video umpire, will ensure that the maximum number of players in the press is 28. Players will take contested marks at both ends of the ground, particularly as the eight players in the other goals compete for the ball. Most footy supporters don't want a mad scramble – an Auskick match with everyone on the ball. They like close matches, but they want a football game to break out on a footy oval, not just an arm-wrestle inside 50.

The future of Australian football is under threat on Saturday. If Fremantle prevails in the "brutal battle", all coaches will be turned into boa constrictors seeking to deny their opposition "time and space". That will appeal to wrestling and rugby aficionados. But the destructive press and low scores are not what the most creative of the football codes is about.

A Lyon premiership, which will make every coach emulate his strategies and tactics, will not be good for football. As David Cooney observes, if all football becomes Lyonised, how many will turn up to watch?

As a Geelong supporter who also barracks for the future of footy, reluctantly I say, "Go Hawks!"

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/comment/the-games-turned-ugly--and-i-wouldnt-be-lyon-20130926-2ugy2.html#ixzz2g3ZasBi8

Oh no, a team plan based on defence, how shocking, the sky is falling.................fark me. Obviously written by an academic wanker!!

I am getting up early to go to work so I am back in time for the game. If Fremantle win at least it will give me a lot of satisfaction after the terrible year we have had.

I hoping for a really violent GF to be honest. Lot of knobs in each team that I would love to see get dropped.

Get to see my dad for the first time in ages(been away training in Canberra), looking forward to watching the game with him.

I want to hear Dermie's voice if Hawks lose again. He has been a tool throughout all this Asada stuff.

I'm looking forward to it, but not nearly as much as the last few years.

Is it just me or has the build up been a lot smaller this year?

Booked to go Tree Top Climbing in the Dandenongs to avoid anything to do with it this year. Now sick as a dog and had to cancel that so will just sleep the day away.

Anyone but farking Hawthorn. Free... oh. Way to go. Apparently.

Booked to go Tree Top Climbing in the Dandenongs to avoid anything to do with it this year. Now sick as a dog and had to cancel that so will just sleep the day away.

now I feel depressed. r u ok?

I have become one of those people I used to make fun of and call un-Australian.

I said no thanks to the tickets at the Sin Bin Downtown where the Aussies in town are gathering for the game.

Mrs Mero even gave me a leave pass, because it's Grand Final Night.

Instead, I am going out with friends to dinner. By the time we get home it will be at least Half Time.

I might have a look at the scores, hoping Freo get up, but I don't really expect them to.

Could not care less what happens, as we're the losers which ever way you look at it.

Stephen Alomes

Advertisement

Oh no, a team plan based on defence, how shocking, the sky is falling.................fark me. Obviously written by an academic wanker!!

Can't even get our slogan right. Not much of a researcher.

I have become one of those people I used to make fun of and call un-Australian.

I said no thanks to the tickets at the Sin Bin Downtown where the Aussies in town are gathering for the game.

Mrs Mero even gave me a leave pass, because it's Grand Final Night.

Instead, I am going out with friends to dinner. By the time we get home it will be at least Half Time.

I might have a look at the scores, hoping Freo get up, but I don't really expect them to.

Could not care less what happens, as we're the losers which ever way you look at it.

No Mero. Football is the loser, we're just the convenient scapegoat.

To use a Wilsonism, anyone who thinks that the final series isn't a farce is delusional.

I won't watch this match, just like I haven't watched any of the other finals matches. More importantly, I feel good about that - I've enjoyed not contributing one iota to the success of this series.

Like others, it will be the first GF I have missed since I can remember - instead  I'll be out digging drainage ditches and couldn't give a ■■■■ about the game (only hope the whoreforn don't win, cos it them).

By the way, f*ck you afl.

I won't watch this match, just like I haven't watched any of the other finals matches. More importantly, I feel good about that - I've enjoyed not contributing one iota to the success of this series.

Like others, it will be the first GF I have missed since I can remember - instead  I'll be out digging drainage ditches and couldn't give a **** about the game (only hope the whoreforn don't win, cos it them).

By the way, f*ck you afl.

I hear you Steve, we are spending the day in the garden as well. 

will watch the 1984 grand final on DVD then go in to the MCG to help koala sell posters