What Has Gone Wrong With Football?

I don't think the game of footy has suffered all that much. It is the coverage of all things that has really become the problem. Previously we all watched the footy on the weekends, caught the highlights then moved on for the rest of the week until the next weekend, which we got wound up for the closer it got to the weekend. Now it is covered almost all day everyday and it gets too much, to the minutest of detail.

I have taken to avoiding the sports pages during the week and missing the pre & post-game coverage. Just watch the games, I even switch off from the break periods (especially half-time) to avoid all the carry on the comms throw out and the drongo reporters they “cross” to from the papers.

This.

Also I think raising the draft age to 21 would fix a lot of problems in our game and with our young footballers.

I don't think the game of footy has suffered all that much. It is the coverage of all things that has really become the problem. Previously we all watched the footy on the weekends, caught the highlights then moved on for the rest of the week until the next weekend, which we got wound up for the closer it got to the weekend. Now it is covered almost all day everyday and it gets too much, to the minutest of detail.

I have taken to avoiding the sports pages during the week and missing the pre & post-game coverage. Just watch the games, I even switch off from the break periods (especially half-time) to avoid all the carry on the comms throw out and the drongo reporters they “cross” to from the papers.

This.

Also I think raising the draft age to 21 would fix a lot of problems in our game and with our young footballers.

and dell shouldn’t have been delisted.

This is a solid post. It becomes draining and saturated to the point of boredom from time to time.

I wish I was old enough to know football from decades ago where it wasn’t swamped by coverage and irrelevant media knobs basically what feels like 24/7. As your post mentions well, you actually looked forward to footballby the time the weekend rolled around again because it hadn’t been shoved in your face every minute of the day.

There’s no hiding from it. I must admit sometimes I enjoy it, but other days it feels like an endless chain of articles and tweets and you sit back wondering what the **** is the point.

I honestly feel like even 5-6 years ago it wasnt that bad… its happened so, so fast IMO

I distinclty remember during my final year at highschool id actively seek out the papers from the library to catch up on footy news, because that was the only real place that it was published on a consistent basis

Twitter/ Instagram was not trendy back then, clubs only real way to communicate with fans was through their sniffles independently owned and run websites

This.

I’m really struggling to understand the logic of raising the draft age to 21…if young guys couldn’t be drafted until then, they would drift off to other sports (if they hadn’t done so already).

It makes absolutely no sense to me…the only age restriction I would suggest (and it wouldn’t work fairly) would be a restriction on players being drafted to an interstate club (to ease the homesickness problems).

This.

I’m really struggling to understand the logic of raising the draft age to 21…if young guys couldn’t be drafted until then, they would drift off to other sports (if they hadn’t done so already).

It makes absolutely no sense to me…the only age restriction I would suggest (and it wouldn’t work fairly) would be a restriction on players being drafted to an interstate club (to ease the homesickness problems).

I can't see a single iota of sense in it either.

It just seems like softcockery, and an extreme version of it.

It certainly makes sense for some people but I doubt the majority.

In the last few days, three talented young footballers have turned their back on the game that they grew up loving for what appear to be non-football related matters (eg injuries, lack of for, opportunities etc).

Jarrod Garlett (Gold Coast), Jonathon Marsh (Collingwood) and Jaden McGrath (Brisbane) have all chosen to “retire”

All three are returning to their home states and, seemingly, giving up on their boyhood dreams.

Dane Swan recently spoke about how the fun has gone out of the game with the high level of professionalism required now…monitoring sleep time, food intake, liquid intake, skin folds, having to be available virtually 24/7/365.

Is professionalism and big business (the chase for the mighty dollar) slowly killing our great game?

What do you think?

Just to clarify, I was asking the question from the perspective of these young guys leaving the AFL…not from our own perspectives.

I’m wondering what has gone wrong that has made them give up on their dreams

I’m sure a heap of young guys left VFL teams in the 80s and 90s because of the more difficult training environment or culture.

The money in the lower levels of the game may also be a good stepping stone back for those kids who decide it isn’t for them or it’s a level to far. Lower leagues pay a mint these days for every man and his dog compared with 20 years ago.

I don’t think professionalism or big business is killing our great game for the players, its only created opportunities for them to go full time.

For the fans however… I never remember so many people being disillusioned with the game. None of my high school mates go to games - all pretty big AFL fans. I honestly believe growth in the game (being sprouted by the AFL) is only due to population growth and those coming to the country picking up the game and corporate. This years home and away attendance averages were the second lowest for 20 years.

Raising the draft age:

Encourages kids to go and experience the real world rather than being chaperoned from High School straight to league footy and thinking they are superstars. Builds hunger.
Provides kids enough time to complete a Bachelors Degree, get most of an apprenticeship done (is it 4 yrs?), do a diploma or get a real (shitty when compared to AFL) job. Builds hunger and appreciation, gets them ready for life after footy and gives them something proper to do/continue to do/build on off the field during their AFL career.
Requires kids to put in 3 years of work at state level to earn their stripes and ensure commitment
Related to above (and below) would see more money in the state leagues and more development which could see us producing better players in the second tier
Related to above, could help pathways for remote, indigenous, non traditional backgrounds
Perhaps most of all would be a HUGE boon to the state leagues which are all dying a slow death (or to put it more accurately could use a boost in interest). Imagine seeing the WAFL grand final with Jesse Hogan, Jeager O’Meara and Cam McCarthy all playing as final year WAFL players wondering who was going to stamp themselves as a #1 pick? (Yes I know they were from different clubs and Jaeger is older but I’m trying to paint a picture). Attendances and TV viewership would triple straight away, it could become like the NCAA (in a good way, I am against Americanisation just as much as anyone, hi @Reboot ).

That’s just off the top of my head.

I don’t know if 21 is the right age.
I haven’t considered it fully, you might allow say 10 underagers to go each year for example.
Yes we would miss out on a couple of good players in their 1st 2nd and 3rd years undoubtedly but this could be helped (see above).

I just think it would be good for the state league and good for the young men who come into the system and I think they’re the most important thing here. The somewhat toxic culture that is all too pervasive these days would be mitigated and helped a lot by making sure people don’t come into the system until they’re (a lot more) ready.

And no, I don’t expect it to happen ever.

If you’re going to let them play State League, then it makes no sense to stop them from playing AFL.

Also, if they were to play State league, what is to stop sponsors from throwing a heap of money there and thus just short circuiting the AFL system.

Why don’t we call their time in the state leagues “college football” and make it that bit more like the US. Stop molly-coddling people. If they’re weak, they won’t prosper in the AFL anyway.

Can port use all their meters gained to get to shanghai

Raising the draft age:

Encourages kids to go and experience the real world rather than being chaperoned from High School straight to league footy and thinking they are superstars. Builds hunger.
Provides kids enough time to complete a Bachelors Degree, get most of an apprenticeship done (is it 4 yrs?), do a diploma or get a real (shitty when compared to AFL) job. Builds hunger and appreciation, gets them ready for life after footy and gives them something proper to do/continue to do/build on off the field during their AFL career.
Requires kids to put in 3 years of work at state level to earn their stripes and ensure commitment
Related to above (and below) would see more money in the state leagues and more development which could see us producing better players in the second tier
Related to above, could help pathways for remote, indigenous, non traditional backgrounds
Perhaps most of all would be a HUGE boon to the state leagues which are all dying a slow death (or to put it more accurately could use a boost in interest). Imagine seeing the WAFL grand final with Jesse Hogan, Jeager O’Meara and Cam McCarthy all playing as final year WAFL players wondering who was going to stamp themselves as a #1 pick? (Yes I know they were from different clubs and Jaeger is older but I’m trying to paint a picture). Attendances and TV viewership would triple straight away, it could become like the NCAA (in a good way, I am against Americanisation just as much as anyone, hi @Reboot ).

I haven’t considered it fully, you might allow say 10 underagers to go each year for example.
Yes we would miss out on a couple of good players in their 1st 2nd and 3rd years undoubtedly but this could be helped (see above).

I just think it would be good for the state league and good for the young men who come into the system and I think they’re the most important thing here. The somewhat toxic culture that is all too pervasive these days would be mitigated and helped a lot by making sure people don’t come into the system until they’re (a lot more) ready.

So we now draft kids at 17 and take away all their rights, move them to hell holes in Perth, Adelaide, Western Sydney and Qld, and most, nearly all are happy to do it.

You want to force kids who can probably only have the skills to play footy, to do an apprenticeship or a Uni degree, so they can “experience the real world” even if they do not have the brains or aptitude.

Why don’t we put them all in the Army at 18, send them to Afghanistan, so they can experience a real shitehole in the “real world”. Those who survive and have not been turned into drug addicts or have severe mental illness, or can still run and jump, can then play footy.

Think you need to rethink your plan.

Money.

And no, I don't expect it to happen ever.

Just like a 17 round season. There’s a few very good ideas to make football more palatable and sustainable but they’d come at the expense of huge revenues so they’ll never happen.

Raising the draft age:

So we now draft kids at 17 and take away all their rights, move them to hell holes in Perth, Adelaide, Western Sydney and Qld, and most, nearly all are happy to do it.

You want to force kids who can probably only have the skills to play footy, to do an apprenticeship or a Uni degree, so they can “experience the real world” even if they do not have the brains or aptitude.

Why don’t we put them all in the Army at 18, send them to Afghanistan, so they can experience a real shitehole in the “real world”. Those who survive and have not been turned into drug addicts or have severe mental illness, or can still run and jump, can then play footy.

Think you need to rethink your plan.

So in all seriousness, how do you feel about the fact players are required to be 18 and finish year 12 before they can be taken in the draft? Given the completion rate of year 12 hovers around 70%, wouldn’t it be better to allow teams to draft from those 30% of 16 year olds who just aren’t interested in school any more?

And no, I don't expect it to happen ever.

Just like a 17 round season. There’s a few very good ideas to make football more palatable and sustainable but they’d come at the expense of huge revenues so they’ll never happen.

Yet another myth perpetuated about the AFL fixture - From 1925 to 1968 no teams had return clashes because of an 18 round season - It was only from 1969 to 1986 that that teams played each other twice.

If you're going to let them play State League, then it makes no sense to stop them from playing AFL.

Also, if they were to play State league, what is to stop sponsors from throwing a heap of money there and thus just short circuiting the AFL system.

… what?

On your first point, half my points explain why you would allow them to play State league and not WAFL.

I don’t know what your second point means either.

Why don't we call their time in the state leagues "college football" and make it that bit more like the US. Stop molly-coddling people. If they're weak, they won't prosper in the AFL anyway.

I addressed the Americanisation point.

“Weakness” and “mollycoddling” is an incredibly oversimplified and in many ways ignorant way of referring to the phenomenon I’m trying to get at.

It’s an ok idea in theory PeetoDell, but it would need the TAC competition to expand into something bigger for it to work imo.

Just playing state league footy doesn’t really make sense to me. As others have said, if they can play state league, then they might as well play AFL.

If you're going to let them play State League, then it makes no sense to stop them from playing AFL.

… what?

On your first point, half my points explain why you would allow them to play State league and not WAFL.

I don’t know what your second point means either.

We will have to agree to disagree...I can see no merit at all in your proposal