What needs changing at this club?

Sorry

No changes for mine.

Nobody does that anymore. “You attract more with honey than vinegar” and whatever another rubbish child psychologists come up with now.

The jumper.

Bright pink with frills until they earn the right to don the sash

Swap Essendon players with Hawthorn players and Essendon coaches with Hawthorn coaches.

I have been more than disappointed with our start to the year, but I actually don’t think there is an awful lot wrong with the club, we are just increasingly falling behind in just one key area.

That area is between the ears, and it relates to not being able to deal with expectation.

We will recover from this when we are at the point where we are at rock bottom, and the actual level of expectation is close to zero, and we can surprise an opposition that underestimates us.

From this confidence will flow, and we will begin to play football again.

I have done a longer post in the Lunchtime Catch Up Podcast thread, where I show how other teams have gotten a long way ahead of this in this area. To my mind, it is why we are always trying to catch up with other sides in recent years:

The supporters.

They need to train across from The Royal

1 Like

Another gutless team selection. Had a chance to make a statement by dropping some big name senior players and failed to do so. Seriously, if someone was planning on putting together a ticket to challenge the current administration and part of it was to wipe a broom through the entire coaching staff and match committee, they’d get my vote. With such conservatism shown by Worsfold and those in charge we are going nowhere, despite having the best playing list we’ve had since we last won a final.

3 Likes

Having a read of the Melbourne tanking story … perhaps it’s part of Wellmans plan For finals success. How the hell is this guy on our board.

I don’t think you can level any fault at Welly. He was just an assistant coach at MFC. He would not have been part of the strategy by the people higher up in the food chain to set out to deliberately lose in order to gain priority draft selections.

While we constantly make excuses for our own we will constantly be in need of excuses.

Or for that matter, the head coach who was scapegoated

3 Likes

And is now dead…probably from the sustained media bullshit / pressure destroying his hard built reputation to sell more newspapers

2 Likes

Reading the documents. Threatening Bails with the sack if he won too many games is disgraceful.

2 Likes

Couldn’t have said it much better. Every one of the points…

Selection committee

2 Likes

Need more ■■■■ in the club across the board. Less conservative, less inclined to be the nice guys, more ruthless.

That applies to the list too, and especially when it comes to team selection. Stop rewarding the old hands who aren’t getting the job done and start promoting on merit. Be ■■■■■■■ bold for a change. Make it a mission statement.

Obviously there needs to be a change in the coaching set-up - for a start that’s foreign to them. Secondly, it’s two years running now we’ve run off the road and it aint all the players fault. They’re confused and second-guessing everything they do and the results are clear. At the very least it’s a shocking failure of communication - a clear requirement of being a coach - but it runs deeper tha that, I think.

Thirdly, stop blaming the ■■■■■■■ saga. Stop blaming anything. Take responsibility. Do something. Do it hard, no prisoners.

I actually think this can be fixed relatively easily if the right decisions are made. The list is in good shape and building towards where we want to get to - problem is we keep tripping over our own feet.

1 Like

I wonder if somebody has threatened worsfold the same way this season

1 Like