What needs changing at this club?

I think you’ve nailed one of the big problems here.

“Are our coaches on the same page? Are we all playing under one system, or are players being told different things?”

1 Like

If you’re concerned about this w_d the club should be razed.

Leadership Group Unveiled

Essendon has today finalised a five-man leadership group for 2019, with Dyson Heppell set to lead the Bombers as captain for a third consecutive year.

The 26-year-old will be supported by Zach Merrett (vice-captain), David Myers, Joe Daniher and Orazio Fantasia in the club’s new-look leadership group.

Following a robust consultation process in recent weeks, it was determined a streamlined leadership group was the best approach for the upcoming season.

Senior coach John Worsfold said the five-man leadership group would continue to drive high standards across the Bombers’ playing group.

“Feedback from our playing group was overwhelmingly in support of Dyson being named as captain for a third straight year. They feel strongly aligned with his leadership qualities and values and this was consistent throughout this process,” Worsfold said.

“We feel all five men bring strong and diverse qualities that will ensure the growth of the playing group across a number of values and we hope this resonates on-field too.

Essendon’s 2019 leadership group (left to right): Zach Merrett (vice-captain), Joe Daniher, Dyson Heppell (captain), David Myers and Orazio Fantasia. (Photo: Essendon Football Club)

“I’d also like to acknowledge both Cale Hooker and Michael Hurley who are terrific leaders and made a strong contribution to the group last season. With their experience and knowledge of our game, they will continue to support the leadership group and the development of our younger players.

“The structure of the leadership group has been streamlined this season, however we have a strong focus on the entire group more broadly to own their personal leadership capacities and compete - week in and week out.”

Interesting reading in hindsight.

Myers and Joe shouldn’t be leaders plain and simple.

Smith, Hooker or Hurley take your pick

About as inspiring as used toilet paper

Probably the most uninspiring group ive ever seen. Plenty of talent there but not a lot of aggression and attitude. Not many guys who are known for the hard grunt work either

Oh and I’ve just read through 250 posts, has laverde2langford spilled the beans and I just missed it?

If not, who was the player?!

Huh?

The leadership thing is very odd.

If Hooker and Hurley are cracking the sads and dragging others in then they are leadership worthy anyway. Leaders would accept the decision (even if it was a poor one) and be 100% for the team.

Leaders change, direct and influence the things in their control and accept the things they have no control over.

There clearly are problems, I struggle to see how this is a major one

This is the root cause. It’s plain obvious that these men aren’t playing for each other. We’ve got reports of senior player dissatisfaction. Other players now butting heads with these senior players. A leadership group that clearly is struggling. We’ve got reports of a senior coach who has trouble communicating with the players.

You go to any sporting organisation and you have multiple types of people with multiple opinions and egos. If you can’t harness all this energy it kills the team. Doesn’t matter how much talent you have you will never accomplish anything until you get buy in from everyone.

Change holey jocks and holey socks.

You’re assuming they are all true.

Though I am stunned that Daniher and Raz and Myers are in the leadership group. All three spend more time injured than on the field. In fact only Myers at the moment looks like he is full fit

2 Likes

Maybe the leadership group as announced isn’t the same group voted for by the players.
Pure speculation,I have no inside knowledge, however if this is the case I agree with others that it seems minor but if it is the culmination of other occasions where the players think the coach/es doesn’t listen or trust them, then it could be like straw that broke camels back.

The assumptions are backed up by the absolute garbage performances we keep seeing. That’s not saying there aren’t other issues at play but I reckon if this got fixed up we’d see a much better side most weekends.

I saw the Essington logo and I burst into hysterical laughter, and I couldn’t stop until the tears came.

1 Like

We need someone to take over the forward structure who is a forward.
We have 0 idea down there with our 2 key forwards running to the same spot
Look back at Clarko with Buddy and Roughie…he had the diamond or rectangle
Each player would follow each other around the rectangle…Buddy lead up on the
Right, roughie would then go from point post to point post. These are ideas
Currently we look worse than a Ovens and King footy club. When in doubt bomb
It long to Tippa who has a blokes a foot taller than him right on his tail.
Yes that footy is gone now so the rectangle idea might not work now but Im trying
To say that we need some IDEAS…No point winning the footy if you just bomb it, savage
Had a field day cleaning that up. Watch Oscar McDonald have a field day with Hibbo

Yes, David Myers is the epitome of flashy.

Heavens.

1 Like

If the marketing department was involved Tippa would be in.

I respect the effort @Laverde2Langford has put into this and also love to express my own opinion publicly.

I did not like that apology either but looking at the wider context I reckon X and the board have done a great job recovering from the saga. Keeping almost all the players, keeping the finances together so we could build Tullamarine, making the club a destination, building membership and record sponsorship. One tweet does not wash all this away.
Blitz is also a great education to me. Looking at the mental health thread I have to accept that the “harden up” approach does not always work, and that there may have been solid reasons for withdrawing the criticism. Dimma and Bucks have both appeared to improve solidly by being nicer, too.

So I reckon the coaching and playing deserve attention but we are only two games in. At the end of last season we were “the best team outside the 8”. After trade season we were celebrating like we’d made the 8. Now you would think the club is looking at merging with the Buffaloes and moving to Darwin.

2 Likes

Like the time at home when a plate fell of the bench and smashed, but the pizza on top somehow didn’t fall on the floor. I commented that at least the pizza was saved, mum was dismayed at my comment. This was about 20 years ago though.

2 Likes