What obscure/not commonly known music are you listening to?

The older I get, the more I go looking for stuff of certain genres I like. This thread is in honor of the gems that never hit the mainstream. Please share and maybe you might find something you’ve never heard that gets your toes tapping.

I’ll kick off with something I’d never heard until recently (had heard of them but not heard them). If you’re a fan of 80’s punk you might dig them but it’s pretty different. Jazz/funk/punk is about as well as I can describe it.

Minutemen. Viet Nam from the album “Double Nickels on the Dime”.

4 Likes

Well, ive been diverging a bit lately in an attempt to be more adventurous and “follow my ears”. I mainly liked grunge and after that bands like Muse and Radiohead but that’s all full blown mainstream these days.
I started listening to a list of Kurt Cobain’s 50 favourite/influential albums and got about halfway through. Mainly punk stuff which is a farking huge genre and much more diverse than i ever thought. I always thought The Sex Pistols were at the centre of the punk scene but really they could have never existed and the genre wouldnt be any different.
Anyway i will post the list and while a lot of the bands will be known by the Blitz muso brigade there might be a few bands that people have never given a go.

Kurt Cobain’s Top 50 Albums

Iggy & The Stooges - Raw Power (1973)
Pixies - Surfer Rosa (1988)
The Breeders - Pod (1990)
The Vaselines - Dying for It (1988, listed as Pink EP)
The Shaggs - Philosophy of the World (1969)
Fang - Landshark (1982)
MDC - Millions of Dead Cops (1981)
Scratch Acid - Scratch Acid (1984, listed as 1st EP)
Saccharine Trust - Paganicons (1981, listed as 1st EP)
Butthole Surfers - Pee Pee the Sailor (1983)
Black Flag - My War (1984)
Bad Brains - Rock for Light (1983)
Gang of Four - Entertainment! (1979)
Sex Pistols - Never Mind the Bollocks, Here’s the Sex Pistols (1977)
The Frogs - It’s Only Right and Natural (1989)
PJ Harvey - Dry (1992)
Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation (1988)
The Knack - Get the Knack (1979)
The Saints - Know Your Product (1978)
Kleenex - “anything by:” (1978-1983, possibly referring to 1993’s Kleenex/LiLiPUT compilation)
The Raincoats - The Raincoats (1979)
Young Marble Giants - Colossal Youth (1980)
Aerosmith - Rocks (1976)
Various Artists - What Is It. (1982, erroneously listed as What Is This?)
R.E.M. - Green (1988)
Shonen Knife - Burning Farm (K Records version, 1985)
The Slits - Typical Girls (1979)
The Clash - Combat Rock (1982)
The Faith/Void - The Faith/Void (1982)
Rites of Spring - Rites of Spring (1985)
Beat Happening - Jamboree (1988)
Tales of Terror - Tales of Terror (1984)
Leadbelly - Leadbelly’s Last Sessions Volume One (1953)
Mudhoney - Superfuzz Bigmuff (1988)
Daniel Johnston - Yip/Jump Music (1983)
Flipper - Album – Generic Flipper (1982)
The Beatles - Meet the Beatles! (1964)
Half Japanese - We Are They Who Ache with Amorous Love (1990)
Butthole Surfers - Locust Abortion Technician (1987)
Black Flag - Damaged (1981)
Fear - The Record (1982)
Public Image Ltd - The Flowers of Romance (1981)
Public Enemy - It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back (1988)
Melvins- Houdini
David Bowie - The Man Who Sold the World (1970)
Wipers - Is This Real? (1980)
Wipers - Youth of America (1981)
Wipers - Over the Edge (1983)
Mazzy Star - She Hangs Brightly (1990)
Swans - Young God (1984, erroneously listed as Raping a Slave)

4 Likes

Never heard of the minutemen but I like it.

The funny thing about listening to cult bands or musicians musicians is although you haven’t heard it before its instantly familiar because so many other musicians have taken there ideas and used them.

Listening to that with those bass lines, straight away reminded me of RATM, obviously much softer, but I just imagined the RATM bass player listening to that growing up and then taking it up a level with RATM.

Then when the lyrics kicked in I had a chuckle, LCD Soundsystem basically made whole albums ripping this music off, just updating it electronically for a new generation 20 years later.

1 Like

Primus came to mind when i listened to those Minutemen riffs.

Yep can definitely hear that too, now that you mention it.

3 Likes

dEUS, a fantastc Belgian band. From their Captain Beefheart and Zappa inspired beginnings to their latter works which are more redolent of Elbow.
Imperious stuff, and perilously close to being my favourite act these days.

2 Likes

Yep, I can definitely hear both.

I will come from a different angle.Was a stay at home Dad,and for the longest time,Wiggles & other mind numbing tunes were the standard.Now i have more time,it has allowed me to discover or rediscover,or find newer artists who have been killing it for a while.
Johnny Cash.Tom Petty.RL Burnside. revisited.
Wilco.SeasickSteve.Band of Horses.
Leon Bridges.Valerie June.The Record Company.

I’ve given around two thirds of that list a decent go. Actually listening to Surfa Rosa the the other day.

The other third I’ve either heard of or didn’t know about. Will check a few out.

Cheers.

2 Likes

Can definitely sympathise with the oppression of endless kiddie songs. Now I listen to what I like with the odd request from young daughter to play whatever plastic, recycled flotsam the kids at school are allowed to listen to in their homes.

1 Like

It’s funny you posted the Minutemen. I was thinking yesterday of starting a thread about bands you really think you should love but I matter how hard you try you have a hard time getting into.

Punk and its offshoots are my thing, but there are some bands I’ve always struggled with, and in fact right now have been giving some of these classic albums a spin again to see if they click with me, when they haven’t before:

Minutemen - Double Nickels On The Dime
The Replacements - Let It Be
Husker Du - New Day Rising (I finally “got” Zen Arcade recently after the umpteenth try)

I’ve also been going through the Pavement and Sonic Youth back catalogs for the same reason. I do love a couple of SY moments but I’m mystified as to why Pavement are revered, always have been. Give me Archers Of Loaf or Guided By Voices any day.

1 Like

I am currently listening Lykaia which is the new album from Swedish band, Soen. If you like Tool, and the clean singing in Opeth, you will probably like these guys. Here’s a taste: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRH9ADDqLIM

2 Likes

I’ve never understood the Husker Du thing.

braces for hurled objects

1 Like

The Minutmen were great. Double Nickels is superb.

Anyway, if you like your grunge/hard rock/punk stuff, check these out:

My Sister’s Machine - Diva
Sweaty Nipples - Bug Harvest
HellBelly: Run for God’s Sake
Monsterland - Destroy What You Love
Hobosexual - Hobosexual II
Arcwelder - Entropy
Nudeswirl - S/T
Truly - Fast Stories from Kid Coma

Some seriously good stuff in there.

2 Likes

Snowman. WA band that I really thought had something unique going on.

(Post suited both threads)

1 Like

This is nothing like what i usually listen to - prog metal/rock.

But here it is

1 Like

Awesome stuff Azza. Starting to wish I had more time on my hands. Yep, you’ve nailed my genre. Don’t know any o those bands. The last couple of bands I got into in terms of ‘new stuff’ was the early Arctic Monkeys albums and Them Crooked Vultures which was much better than what Foo Fighters has been releasing for ages.

And, D. Boon is quickly becoming one of my favorite guitarists. Shreds but does it with endless joyous hooks! The man was a genius.Plus having that rhythm section pumping along with it. Awesome stuff.