What of our current rookies?

Had to be me that made the thread didn't it?

We could really help soften (or eliminate) the blow of the draft penalties by making something of our current rookies. It is reasonably widely accepted that Hunter isn't quite good enough, but Steinberg was considered good enough (by us) for a 2nd round pick not two years ago. And seems to have improved a lot this year. But does he need Pears or Hardingham to be moved on and/or Fletch to retire for it to be valid of us to upgrade him? Is there room for him where he "belongs" up forward?

Leroy has a year left but he's not going to be played anywhere but fwd pocket surely. If so, as far as I'm concerned I'd trade him for whatever we can get, as frustrating as he is I think we can be too harsh and say "no-one would want him", a lesser club would readily give up a pick in the 50s or even higher for him. Which brings me to the point of upgrading Dell. I think it's worth it. No point explaining that anymore I've said it all before.

Dalgliesh has shown a bit and whilst he doesn't offer as much defensively as a Hardingham he looks to be great depth for Dempsey, here's hoping he can improve beyond that. Is he worth an upgrade too?

Be interested to see what the rest think. I think they'd be 3 of the better players on rookie lists around the traps, would be great if we could make something of them, those players out of nowhere. Of course they may have currency to turn into a pick, upgrade 10/15 spots, surely Dell or Stein have shown more than Jenkins did last year and we got something for him (of course I appreciate that Crows needed a big, and they are a lot rarer as well so there's that).

What do we do?

I like the idea of upgrading the 3 you mentioned.

Whatever happens I reckon our rookie list will be empty before the rookie draft.

I don't get the Dell love.

10. Darren Bewick

It's been a ■■■■■■ long time since we had someone on our list with goal sense.

It's not like Jetta is actually fast.

No chance any team gives up a pick in the 50s for Jetta. 

Would Steinberg attract interest from other clubs if we don't promote him to the Primary List.

You don't have to love him. But if Jetta is going to stay on our list for 6 or 7 more years and give us what he gave this year then Dell starts to look like an 11/10

I’d go with Steinberg over Pears, Dell over Jetta (or Davey), and would be happy for Dal to be given another year.

Did Peeto just start another Dell thread?

I love your dedication buddy!

#standbydell

Upgrade Hal.

#standbydell

#RELEASETHEDELL

To be fair I have started 2. One before we drafted him, and this

Upgrade Stein either way, will be good backup for tall/medium defensive stocks, especially in the event Pears leaves and Fletchers inevitable injuries/rests/suspensions.
Upgrade Dalgliesh, reckon he can carve a spot for himself with Dempsey and Hibberd pushing further up the ground, I realise that Dempsey and Hibberd are both so good because they are played in their best position, but Dal will be good depth either way, seeing as we don't really have any other pacy HBF. 
I'm a fan of Dell but I'm not sure, I'd say probably upgrade though given there isn't really much depth in his position in the current squad. 
Hal, again not too sure, seems a bit in the Hocking mould but not really a run-with player? (not sure on this) we already have a bunch of developing mids (kav, hams, browne, gleeson, ashby, O'Brien) 

#standbydell

#RELEASETHEDELL

To be fair I have started 2. One before we drafted him, and this

:lol: Didn't you start one about upgrading him earlier in the year. I reckon 2 is being a bit conservative...

In answer to the OP.

Dalgleish is a no brainer, he is quick and he can kick. It's actually a pity we couldn't upgrade him earlier in the year. 

Based on previous senior listed players who found their way down to the rookie list, and then didn't play a senior game, I reckon Steinberg might get the chop.  He's probably a different situation to the previous guys though. I think Pears future will ultimately affect Steinberg's.

Hunter... you'd think he is gone.

And the man himself Dell. I'm also a fan (not as big a fan as you, but still a fan) of the Dell. I think he does everything you'd want from a small forward. But his pace is an issue, and not just leg speed. He is kind of stuck in that zone of being too good for state level, but just isn't up to the pace at AFL level. I don't think it's coincidence that his best senior game was against GWS. Ordinarily I'd say he is gone, but when you combine our draft sanctions with an embarrassing deficit of small forwards, his stocks are probably higher than they should be. I'd be happy if they kept him, but i'd understand if they didn't.  

Would Steinberg attract interest from other clubs if we don't promote him to the Primary List.

Well, VFL reports earlier this year when they were playing together seemed (to me by memory) to favour Steinberg over Pears. But that may have been biased by expectations (less was expected of Steinberg). I think he was taking the tall players more often though.

You would think if a team needed a KP defender, and you could possibly get Steinberg at a Jenkins price, he'd be a decent option. You would think he'd be a natural replacement for either Hardingham or Pears, and both would be decent chances of asking to be traded. So I suspect he'll be on the main list next year.

+1

Jetta II: The Sequel

Dalgleish upgrade is a lock.

Keep in mind that with hilley retired, we will have an extra rookie spot. Two if fletch wasn’t to pull on the boots for season 63. That would give us a little more flexibility.

BUT, because I don’t think we have anyone else eligible for a veteran’s spot, this has an impact in terms of the senior list. We actually need to cut it from 40 down to 39 (hille) or 38(fletch). So for us in reality, unless a retirement and rookie pick combo counts towards the minimum of 3 senior list changes needed, we need to axe/trade at least four.

The result of this is that we might prefer someone -who otherwise deserve upgrading - to stay on the rookie list. It also puts more pressure on Davis, Browne etc.

But isn't the eligibility for veterans more flexible now, and not just based on age? So I thought Winders and maybe Jobe qualified. 

Dalgleish actually did things when he was given senior games. Definitely upgrade.
Del hasn't really, this year or last. He certainly hasn't kicked the freak goals or 'made something out of nothing' as he was drafted to. Probably gone, we can find another guy.

Hal gone, which is shame cos he's cool.
Stein has only had one year on the rookie list so he can stay as decisions have to be made on the others.

But isn't the eligibility for veterans more flexible now, and not just based on age? So I thought Winders and maybe Jobe qualified. 

Yeah, new veteran's rule is ten years with the club. That adds Watson, Winderlich and Stanton as eligible veterans for next year's cap I believe. There is the proviso that if you have someone under the old veteran's rule then you can't use the new one, so unless Fletch is on about 800k, I imagine we'll transition to the new rule next year.

Definitely promote Dalgleish...and I'd repromote Steinberg.

Don't think Hal would stay, not sure about Dell.  Pity.

dell 50/50. hal gone. davis gone. no idea steinburg but logic to me would say if you were delisted the year before, re rookied then still didnt make a senior appearance the following year, your in some sort of trouble. but he may be saved because of our draft penalties