What Our "Exodus" looks like

Not a chance beyond 2. Grimley and !!! Maybe Dea

I think by the end of this year Sam Michael may surprise a few.

In fact i agree - my mistake i also know he is a decent focused guy

I want to see Sam rip carnts apart.

I also think you can't include Monfries because he was gone before the saga started and it was for more coin/stability/return home so unrelated.

The Goddard deal forced EFC to offer him alot lower than his market value, hence Port snapped him up. HE would have stayed if the price was right.

He is one of there key small forwards who rotate through the midfield, since he is not playing, wingard is getting the best small defender now, monfries gone hurts power.
Underated, 7 goals against geelong in a preliminary final too…not bad.

Still nothing to do with the saga. The exodus was supposed to be because of the saga.

Come home Paddy

Come home Paddy

No, I never want that traitorous tool back at the club. I dont mind when players move, im dissapointed, but in the end they want to leave and they work with the club to make the move work. Paddy and his management kicked the club while it was down and took advantage of the saga for their own benefit. Not to mention the club put ALOT of time and faith in him. Fark Paddy

If you're going to start a theoretically positive topic, why would you include the likes of Ashby and Edwards in there.

Completely unnecessary.

Because as soon as any player puts on the red and black they earn my respect. Kelly and Stokes are no lesser Essendon players than Ashby and Edwards in my opinion.

There will be an exodus at the end of the year. There has to be. That exodus will be made up of our list of fantastic top ups who have enriched us with their spirit and leadership as well as others who didn’t make the cut but will always have my respect.

Just on the topic of the end of the year and the leaving of the top up players, it would be great if the club organized an event in which we could thank them for agreeing to help the club in its hour of need.

Not an exodus but we have lost some good players lately:

Monfries
Crameri
Ryder
Carlisle
Melksham

Are all pretty handy.

Worse case add:

Pig
Hurley
Watson

Plus

Hird
Thompson

to that list. When do we stop mocking people for the initial “exodus” claim?

Losing 5 players over a 3 year period is pretty standard across the AFL for any teams that aren’t in the top 4 (even then… go and have a look at how many players a team like Hawks have lost in the same period)

Monfries can hardly be blamed on the saga… Crameri was a rookie player that had one good season and got a big money offer from dogs. He showed in his year with dogs that he wasn’t worth the $$ that they gave him… so I applaud our list management for finally having the strength to stick to their conviction on the overall list balance.

Melksham in exactly the same boat as Crameri… plus the added bonus that Melbourne paid way way way overs for him. Club couldn’t do the trade quick enough.

Ryder and Carlisle were the casualties but strong arguments can be made against retaining both players.

So no… I don’t think you can ever stop mocking the exodus claims… there have not been mass walk outs… we have not been abandoned by every decent player etc etc. We have shrewdly traded 3 fringe/above average players and lost 2 potentially superstars but not consistent ones… in return we have loaded our list with young talent and snared a guy like Looney who has been terrific.

Monfries
Crameri
Ryder
Carlisle
Melksham

Are all pretty handy.

Worse case add:

Pig
Hurley
Watson

Plus

Hird
Thompson

I have liked Kelly this year. Uses it well, tackles and has a dig. We'd be in a worse position without him.
Kelly has been great, but really unless we think we are in flag window there is no point in this conversation. Regardless of his value and how much we all like him, his presence would keep his replacement out of team, which may be Baguley, Hibberd, Tippa, Gleeson.

Yes I know it has been good and hard to say goodbye…

Monfries
Crameri
Ryder
Carlisle
Melksham

Are all pretty handy.

Worse case add:

Pig
Hurley
Watson

Plus

Hird
Thompson

Losing 5 players over a 3 year period is pretty standard across the AFL for any teams that aren’t in the top 4 (even then… go and have a look at how many players a team like Hawks have lost in the same period)

Monfries can hardly be blamed on the saga… Crameri was a rookie player that had one good season and got a big money offer from dogs. He showed in his year with dogs that he wasn’t worth the $$ that they gave him… so I applaud our list management for finally having the strength to stick to their conviction on the overall list balance.

Melksham in exactly the same boat as Crameri… plus the added bonus that Melbourne paid way way way overs for him. Club couldn’t do the trade quick enough.

Ryder and Carlisle were the casualties but strong arguments can be made against retaining both players.

So no… I don’t think you can ever stop mocking the exodus claims… there have not been mass walk outs… we have not been abandoned by every decent player etc etc. We have shrewdly traded 3 fringe/above average players and lost 2 potentially superstars but not consistent ones… in return we have loaded our list with young talent and snared a guy like Looney who has been terrific.

Look at the caliber of players we have lost, not just the depth players but Carlisle, Ryder and Stewie were very important to us. No we don’t have 15 players wanting to leave at once but we have lost enough to set us back a few years. The five players mentioned were best 22 at the time (thought you could argue Melksham shouldn’t have been best 22). If you add Hurley to that list, man that’s some good ones gone.

Monfries
Crameri
Ryder
Carlisle
Melksham

Are all pretty handy.

Worse case add:

Pig
Hurley
Watson

Plus

Hird
Thompson

Look at the caliber of players we have lost, not just the depth players but Carlisle, Ryder and Stewie were very important to us. No we don’t have 15 players wanting to leave at once but we have lost enough to set us back a few years. The five players mentioned were best 22 at the time (thought you could argue Melksham shouldn’t have been best 22). If you add Hurley to that list, man that’s some good ones gone.

Reckon you’ll find plenty of teams have lost some very key players over the last two years. You’re right that those three or four you listed were important, but I wouldn’t be all doom and gloom. We’ve also uncovered some future stars to replace them.

Monfries
Crameri
Ryder
Carlisle
Melksham

Are all pretty handy.

Worse case add:

Pig
Hurley
Watson

Plus

Hird
Thompson

Reckon you’ll find plenty of teams have lost some very key players over the last two years. You’re right that those three or four you listed were important, but I wouldn’t be all doom and gloom. We’ve also uncovered some future stars to replace them.

Dangerfield, Franklin and Ablett have all moved clubs in the last 5 years. These are arguably the 3 best players in the comp. Players move more regularly now than ever before. Our list is no different to any others - saga included.

Monfries
Crameri
Ryder
Carlisle
Melksham

Are all pretty handy.

Worse case add:

Pig
Hurley
Watson

Plus

Hird
Thompson

Dangerfield, Franklin and Ablett have all moved clubs in the last 5 years. These are arguably the 3 best players in the comp. Players move more regularly now than ever before. Our list is no different to any others - saga included.

They didn’t all play for the same team and their original teams got everything out of them (though Dangerfield has gone to another level this year)

We git ■■■■ all out of Ryder ecxcept 1-2 season and carlisle and Crameri we’Lloyd’s wait and see when they get back from suspension how they go. Carlisle in particular as he hasn’t hit his peak yet.

Ryder didn’t leave because of the saga, that’s a furphy. Crammers left for dollars and cuddles (his friendship, which didn’t last long) not really saga related, Monfries was not even remotely saga related, Melksham wasn’t even best 22 and didn’t leave any sort of hole in the side. The only one is Carlisle imo, he is the only real one we lost due to the saga.

And as far as losing players, big name, important players, even the Hawks have lost them.

Hardly an exodus of players.

The doomsayers were right. The exodus will begin very soon. Expect the following names to depart.

Kelly
Stokes
Grimley
Grima
Simpkin
Crowley
Michael
Polkinghorne
Jamar
(Dea)
Ashby
Cooney
(Gwilt)
(Edwards)

That’s quite an exodus!

We were wrong to deny the reports!

Mckernan and Dempsey thank you, sorry no room for you.

Ryder didn't leave because of the saga, that's a furphy. Crammers left for dollars and cuddles (his friendship, which didn't last long) not really saga related, Monfries was not even remotely saga related, Melksham wasn't even best 22 and didn't leave any sort of hole in the side. The only one is Carlisle imo, he is the only real one we lost due to the saga.

And as far as losing players, big name, important players, even the Hawks have lost them.

Hardly an exodus of players.

I disagree with Crameri and Ryder but this just me. Melksham like it or not was best 22, he played just about every week and we bemoaned the fact that he played every week. Didn’t leave a whole per se but still left (got a better contract too)

Gus was not saga related

What if we add Hurley to the list?

IF

We also haven’t been able to bring anyone in. I mean even Membrey chose saints over us and Bruce turned down a decent contract with us to stay at Saints.