What should we get with our picks?

No

No again. You hear some weird ideas keep resurfacing…usually from the same 4 or 5 people.

i thought English was the highest rated key position player? or is he purely a ruck? we'd be laughing if we got marshall at 20 if he really was the highest rated tall.

we do have great tall depth at the moment but still waiting on a partner for Joe. I dont rate Richards and Stewart is a big unknown. Mitch Brown is never going to be an adequate foil for Daniher. Francis is the one who could be, but he could just as well be used further up the ground or in an Enright-ish role.

How about moving Hartley forward now that we have backline depth again?
He has a booming kick and would really give a headache for opposition coaches if we changed it up especially during a game.

Hmmmm back or forward…should be a poll!

i thought English was the highest rated key position player? or is he purely a ruck? we'd be laughing if we got marshall at 20 if he really was the highest rated tall.

we do have great tall depth at the moment but still waiting on a partner for Joe. I dont rate Richards and Stewart is a big unknown. Mitch Brown is never going to be an adequate foil for Daniher. Francis is the one who could be, but he could just as well be used further up the ground or in an Enright-ish role.

English would be a super pick for us. Ha e you watched him play, this young man has got the goods. Heaps of talent and potential. We should pick him.

Just did some googling - fair old growth spurt. 184cm to 204cm in 3 years!
Given he’s grown up playing like a small he is definitely someone we should be showing interest in (bit like McInerney from Casey)

It’s a tough call at 20. There could really be some special players available.

For mine I hope Florent slides. I’ve heard some recruiters say he could be the best from Sandy including Taranto and McGrath.
If he doesn’t then Bolton or do we go English.

Whatever happens it will be a really good pick.

Pick 1: Hugh McCluggage (North Ballarat Rebels) Pick 20: Jarrod Berry (North Ballarat Rebels) Pick 29: William Drew (North Ballarat Rebels) Pick 41: Cedric Cox (North Ballarat Rebels)

North Ballarat Rebels footy factory

At least we won’t have to worry about the go-home factor.

What we get with 20 should come with who we get with 1. I’d like to get Florent if we get McGrath with 1 and would like a player like Witherden if we get McCluggage. If someone like Battle, English or Marshall slides then I’d prioritise them at 20. Venables is another that would have to be high on the radar and Begley is still high on the clubs radar and we may pull the pin at 20 with many teams before 29 being very interested in him

What we get with 20 should come with who we get with 1. I'd like to get Florent if we get McGrath with 1 and would like a player like Witherden if we get McCluggage. If someone like Battle, English or Marshall slides then I'd prioritise them at 20. Venables is another that would have to be high on the radar and Begley is still high on the clubs radar and we may pull the pin at 20 with many teams before 29 being very interested in him

I respectfully disagree. Best available with that pick every day of the week.

What if we have different needs? What if at pick 20 the best player is a key defender? makes no sense.
Surely needs based.

What if we have different needs? What if at pick 20 the best player is a key defender? makes no sense. Surely needs based.

Pretty unlikely. Logue would have to be there at 20 for that to happen, and he’s almost certain to go top 10. He could be anything anyway so hypothetically you’d still take him at 20.

What we get with 20 should come with who we get with 1. I'd like to get Florent if we get McGrath with 1 and would like a player like Witherden if we get McCluggage. If someone like Battle, English or Marshall slides then I'd prioritise them at 20. Venables is another that would have to be high on the radar and Begley is still high on the clubs radar and we may pull the pin at 20 with many teams before 29 being very interested in him

In one of the most even drafts we have had the player that comes at 20 could both be guns that are hard to pick between so if we where to make a decision when both are rated very close is to take the player that best compliments our pick 1. Best available yes I agree but when there is a number of players that are rated similar I’d go with whoever compliments our needs better

In one of the most even drafts we have had the player that comes at 20 could both be guns that are hard to pick between so if we where to make a decision when both are rated very close is to take the player that best compliments our pick 1. Best available yes I agree but when there is a number of players that are rated similar I’d go with whoever compliments our needs better

But that should always be the case? All things equal, you go with the player that’s best fit for your needs. That’s just logic.

Best available that suits needs.

That said sometimes there are sliders that seem ridiculous to have made it to where they did. Ala Zerrett / Lobb decision.

Zerrett has ended up being an inspired selection. That said now we still trying to make up for not addressing that list need at the time.

That said sometimes there are sliders that seem ridiculous to have made it to where they did. Ala Zerrett / Lobb decision.

Zerrett has ended up being an inspired selection. That said now we still trying to make up for not addressing that list need at the time.

You’d still make a pretty arguement that 4 A-grade midfielders is preferable to 3 A-grade midfielders and a B/C-grade key forward (depending obviously on who/what was taken in that specific draft)

You’d still make a pretty arguement that 4 A-grade midfielders is preferable to 3 A-grade midfielders and a B/C-grade key forward (depending obviously on who/what was taken in that specific draft)

You could also make a pretty good argument that the chances of getting an A grade anything with your fourth pick (unless you have 4 in the top 20) are fairly slim.

You could also make a pretty good argument that the chances of getting an A grade anything with your fourth pick (unless you have 4 in the top 20) are fairly slim.

Should have clarified I meant over a number of drafts, referencing to Merrett in particular

No again. You hear some weird ideas keep resurfacing...usually from the same 4 or 5 people.

It was just an idea as some 4 or 5 people have no love for Battle.

Really don't want Marshall. I've seen a few of his games, lacks effort and reminds me on Liam jones.

Marshall at 20 is a great get. I rate him higher than Harry McKay who was a top 10 pick.

Based on what?
No

Ok sweet we will have team full of HB tankers and no 1 to kick to score goals.
Same old Essendon we love!
Same old 4 or 5 that say gee why aren’t we kicking goals?