What should we get with our picks?

Imagine it’s SPS.

McMeltdown.

Imagine it’s a James Davies or D. McAlister equivalent.

McNightmare.

Imagine it's a James Davies or D. McAlister equivalent.

McNightmare.

Darren Walsh!

Imagine it's a James Davies or D. McAlister equivalent.

McNightmare.

Darren Walsh!

Or a solid small forward.

McNugget.

I have held on for long enough… Can the OP change the thread title from “What…” to “Who…” please? We are talking about people not chattels.

PS
1 - McCluggage
20 - Florent
29 - Rioli
41 - whoever remains from Benfti’s list

I have held on for long enough.... Can the OP change the thread title from "What.." to "Who.." please? We are talking about people not chattels.

PS
1 - McCluggage
20 - Florent
29 - Rioli

I think the ‘what’ may have been a p!ss take on position of the footballer rather than ‘the’ footballer. But yes, makes for awkward reading first glance.

I like the list. Would aslo be happy with a Simpkin or Berry if Florent is gone and they are available.

Here is the roar's phantom draft. I don't put much faith in it.
I'll be so ■■■■■■ if we take Parfitt over Drew at 41

Parfitt looks decent to me.

We are looking at someone completely different at 41 but so are three other clubs with picks around that point.

http://m.afl.com.au/news/2016-11-09/agony-set-to-turn-to-ecstasy-for-draft-prospect-alex-witherden. If we go Clug with 1 I wouldn’t mind this guy at 20. Plays hard and tough down back like Baguley but offers more on the rebound and is one of the better kicks in the draft

I have held on for long enough.... Can the OP change the thread title from "What.." to "Who.." please? We are talking about people not chattels.

PS
1 - McCluggage
20 - Florent
29 - Rioli

I think the ‘what’ may have been a p!ss take on position of the footballer rather than ‘the’ footballer. But yes, makes for awkward reading first glance.

I like the list. Would aslo be happy with a Simpkin or Berry if Florent is gone and they are available.

Absolutely stoked if any of those three are available at 20, doubtful though. That’s why trading 1 for like 2 and 15 would have been so good

PS
1 - McCluggage
20 - Florent
29 - Rioli

Absolutely stoked if any of those three are available at 20, doubtful though. That’s why trading 1 for like 2 and 15 would have been so good

Yeah. I think Berry will probably go beforehand with Simpkin an outside chance of hanging. Florent, I think will go earlier, but then I have less idea than most (but more than some expert journalists).

1. SPS
  2. Logue/Cox/ Witherden
  3. Long/Rioli
  4. R Marshall/D.Cameron/P.Ladhams

Rookie

1. Hepp A
  1. McCluggage - Rolls Royce midfielder
  2. Battle - super fit link man forward.
  3. B Long - Running HB
  4. Rioli - creative small forward
  5. Cameron. - developing ruckman

I would also be happy to see Begley at the B Long selection as he sounds like a really natural footballer who will develop further. Kind of reminds me of the description of Rockliff in his draft year.
I’m also assuming that Florent and Venables and Berry are gone before we pick Battle.

I would also be happy to see Begley at the B Long selection as he sounds like a really natural footballer who will develop further. Kind of reminds me of the description of Rockliff in his draft year.

A few people have mentioned that we are into this guy - enough smoke for there to be fire. Having a look at some mock drafts he seems to be rated around the 30 - 50 mark. While many on here seem fixated with the idea of getting ‘sliders’ for our second round picks, my guess is that Disco will go for him at 29 - if not at 20 - if he indeed rates him that highly.

He sounds like a very interesting prospect. I’d be interested to hear from anyone who has seen a bit of him.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/localfooty/josh-begley-goes-from-suburban-young-gun-to-on-the-cusp-of-being-recruited-in-afl-national-draft/news-story/c683c9dba3a9fbef8cc0eb9293bbe496

Josh Begley goes from suburban young gun to on the cusp of being recruited in AFL national draft

Toby Prime, Knox Leader
November 4, 2016 9:30am

JOSH Begley’s plans to play his senior football career at Upper Ferntree Gully may have been shelved for the time being.

The 18-year-old could emerge as one of the success stories of this year’s AFL draft.

Begley, a key forward turned powerful onballer, wasn’t even on the Eastern Ranges’ radar 12 months ago, but Upper Gully were keen for him to be exposed to the TAC Cup.

He turned in a blinder in the opening round for the Division 3 club in the Eastern Football League, kicking six goals.

Ranges scouts went down and had a look at him the following week. He booted seven goals in a 64-point win over Park Orchards.

“We saw in the first couple of rounds he was a step above everyone else and hence why we got the Eastern Ranges to come down and watch his second game,” Upper Gully coach Chad Rogers said.

“From there we knew we wouldn’t get him back.”

Weighing 105kg, he lined up against the Tassie Mariners after two games with Upper Gully. He wasn’t out of place with a bag of another six goals.

That was when he was dragged into the Ranges’ offices with his parents for a chat about where he wanted to take his football.

He has since lost 5kg, while his skinfolds have dropped from more than 80, which is considered overweight for an athlete, to 55, which is elite for a TAC Cup player.

He also started a low-fat diet and joined a gym to start a strengthening program.

“By the end of the year, he was one of the first picked onballers week-in, week-out,” Eastern Ranges talent manager Len Villani said.

“Being able to turn himself around in five months, it has been incredible.”

Begley said he was “over the moon” with how he had performed this year, finishing the season with 26 goals and averaging 17 disposals from his 15 TAC Cup outings.

“It has all happened pretty quick, I’m very happy, I didn’t think it was going to happen this time last year,” Begley said.

“I love playing down there with all my mates down there so that would have been my plan to play senior footy down at Upper Gully for the rest of my football career,” he said.

At the draft combine, Villani said he “blew them away”, completing a 13.8 beep test, 10.39 minutes for the 3km time trial and 3.01 seconds for the 20m sprint.

“Once he gets up and running, he is going to do some serious damage to some big body AFL players in the years to come,” he said.

From not even being in the draft conversation this time last year, Villani said he was “pretty bullish” about Begley’s AFL prospects.

“I’d be shocked if he wasn’t at an AFL club next year based on what he has done, the runs on the board and the feedback I am getting from people,” he said.

“It will be the best story I have had in any involvement in all my time in footy for him to get across the line.”

I’ve changed my mind sooo many times. But moreso with the pending inclusion of Richards and Green. I now think we are well stocked in most positions, and am happy to go to the draft and just pick up good footballers who can run through the middle.

#1 - H McCluggage (best available)
#20 - D Venables (a good player will drop, in my dreams it’s this bloke. Tough footballer.)
#29 - S Powell-Pepper (not flavour of the month, but I really like this guy. I reckon he can play)
#41 - D Clarke (I have a soft spot for the in and under footballer, and am willing to completely overlook that he really can’t dispose of the ball efficiently at all.)

RD #1 - W Rioli (It would please me to see a Rioli on our rookie list once again)

Also think Begley looks like a good pick, but avoided jumping on the bandwagon purely to be different.

A few people have mentioned that we are into this guy - enough smoke for there to be fire. Having a look at some mock drafts he seems to be rated around the 30 - 50 mark. While many on here seem fixated with the idea of getting ‘sliders’ for our second round picks, my guess is that Disco will go for him at 29 - if not at 20 - if he indeed rates him that highly.

He sounds like a very interesting prospect. I’d be interested to hear from anyone who has seen a bit of him.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/localfooty/josh-begley-goes-from-suburban-young-gun-to-on-the-cusp-of-being-recruited-in-afl-national-draft/news-story/c683c9dba3a9fbef8cc0eb9293bbe496

Josh Begley goes from suburban young gun to on the cusp of being recruited in AFL national draft

Toby Prime, Knox Leader
November 4, 2016 9:30am

JOSH Begley’s plans to play his senior football career at Upper Ferntree Gully may have been shelved for the time being.

The 18-year-old could emerge as one of the success stories of this year’s AFL draft.

Begley, a key forward turned powerful onballer, wasn’t even on the Eastern Ranges’ radar 12 months ago, but Upper Gully were keen for him to be exposed to the TAC Cup.

He turned in a blinder in the opening round for the Division 3 club in the Eastern Football League, kicking six goals.

Ranges scouts went down and had a look at him the following week. He booted seven goals in a 64-point win over Park Orchards.

“We saw in the first couple of rounds he was a step above everyone else and hence why we got the Eastern Ranges to come down and watch his second game,” Upper Gully coach Chad Rogers said.

“From there we knew we wouldn’t get him back.”

Weighing 105kg, he lined up against the Tassie Mariners after two games with Upper Gully. He wasn’t out of place with a bag of another six goals.

That was when he was dragged into the Ranges’ offices with his parents for a chat about where he wanted to take his football.

He has since lost 5kg, while his skinfolds have dropped from more than 80, which is considered overweight for an athlete, to 55, which is elite for a TAC Cup player.

He also started a low-fat diet and joined a gym to start a strengthening program.

“By the end of the year, he was one of the first picked onballers week-in, week-out,” Eastern Ranges talent manager Len Villani said.

“Being able to turn himself around in five months, it has been incredible.”

Begley said he was “over the moon” with how he had performed this year, finishing the season with 26 goals and averaging 17 disposals from his 15 TAC Cup outings.

“It has all happened pretty quick, I’m very happy, I didn’t think it was going to happen this time last year,” Begley said.

“I love playing down there with all my mates down there so that would have been my plan to play senior footy down at Upper Gully for the rest of my football career,” he said.

At the draft combine, Villani said he “blew them away”, completing a 13.8 beep test, 10.39 minutes for the 3km time trial and 3.01 seconds for the 20m sprint.

“Once he gets up and running, he is going to do some serious damage to some big body AFL players in the years to come,” he said.

From not even being in the draft conversation this time last year, Villani said he was “pretty bullish” about Begley’s AFL prospects.

“I’d be shocked if he wasn’t at an AFL club next year based on what he has done, the runs on the board and the feedback I am getting from people,” he said.

“It will be the best story I have had in any involvement in all my time in footy for him to get across the line.”

I watched him play in the elimination final against Sandringham, he almost got them over the line of his own boot. Very strong and uses his body well but also has very clean hands and timing at contests. Similar to Venables, not as quick but has better skills
http://m.afl.com.au/news/2016-11-09/agony-set-to-turn-to-ecstasy-for-draft-prospect-alex-witherden. If we go Clug with 1 I wouldn't mind this guy at 20. Plays hard and tough down back like Baguley but offers more on the rebound and is one of the better kicks in the draft

Just about to say something similar. Like the look of Cedric Cox too. Great speed, skills, and a fantastic tackler. Just watched both on draft machine worth a look if you havent seen already.

Make sure we can use our pick 68, Spend countless hours trying to figure out who the Hawks want at 88 and select him even if we don’t rate him for the lols.

Make sure we can use our pick 68, Spend countless hours trying to figure out who the Hawks want at 88 and select him even if we don't rate him for the lols.

That fijian bloke

Just watched the Begley, Battle, Venables, and Witherden, highlights.
Begley looks good as a fwd/mid. Gets ball, kicks goal. Much to like there.
Battle looks like a good footy brain hard worker.
Venables is dual sided with explosive athleticism.
Witherden has nice foot skills.

If we get one or two of these guys as well as McCluggage we’ve done well.

I really like Scrimshaw and Gallucci.

Scrimshaw will be gone by 20 though?? Gallucci a chance I hope.