What to do with Melbourne?

How can a club in the days of the draft and salary cap. Be consistently sh*t for so long?

- They have had many many top 10 draft picks.

- The AFL has loaded them up on cash.

- They have turned some of the brighest football prospects into complete spuds.

Someone pointed out here(or maybe twitter) that Port was in an argueable worse position than Melbourne 2 years ago. At least you could see light at the end of the tunnell with Port players like Wingard coming through, the move to Adelaide Oval, As much as he is a ■■■■ Kochie coming on board. I can not see ANY light at the end of the tunnell for Melbourne what so ever. They will be a basket case for decades.

I loved this.

Paul Roos is making a list, checking it twice.

Paul Roos has begun compiling a dossier of the Melbourne players who can‘t perform the non-negotiables of football as he forecast savage changes to the team over the coming weeks following their 93-point savaging against West Coast.

The Demons coach said he had witnessed many fundamental errors he had never seen in his teams before. It was the biggest defeat Roos had experienced as a coach.

‘‘Now it is probably the point of – this is what I want and if you can‘t deliver then someone else will,‘‘ Roos said. ‘‘That‘s fine. That is where we will be over the next two to five weeks. I will just make changes and just make statements and that is what footy is.‘‘

art-353-svROOS-300x0.jpg

Demons coach Paul Roos watches his players being outplayed by the Eagles. Photo: Getty Images

Roos bemoaned that bad habits seemed so entrenched in the team that he could struggle to break them.

‘‘At some point you have to draw a line in the sand and say these are the guys we are going to pick ... if you don‘t want to do [the basics] you don‘t play, you can‘t become a good team unless you have those real non-negotiables,‘‘ he said.

‘‘We have to teach some of the more basic things of footy, we just have to do that a lot better. If you can‘t get hold of the ball and you fumble it all the time and you can‘t make tackles – they are the most basic things in footy.‘‘

Sunday‘s horror show – especially the alarming skill errors – clearly rattled him, with players dropping easy chest marks and turning the ball over constantly. Five of the first eight Eagles goals were due to the Demons coughing up possession.

‘‘Today we were just really poor at it. Whether that is old habits – it has been going for a long time, I suspect. Some of the stuff today, guys missing chest marks, certainly I haven‘t seen that before, so it is an eye opener for me as well as a new coach of the footy club. Some of the errors were incredible.

‘‘We have to make sure we are clear on what we want to stand for as a footy club and what we deem as acceptable and what we deem as unacceptable.‘‘

Roos said the fact he had only coached the team for two AFL games was not relevant.

‘‘How do you break the habits – you have to keep training for it and training for it, or you pick different blokes. It‘s round two but I am certainly putting a dossier together, my own dossier,‘‘ he said.

‘‘I mean it is early in my tenure here but you are building up a profile on each of the players and you see them under the heat and you see what they can and can‘t do. There are some non-negotiables in footy, that‘s the reality of what the game is and if you can‘t do them you can‘t play.

‘‘You could see the hesitation, even when we got out in space there was just no one to kick it to, so certainly that is having a huge bearing on your ability to score. It probably doesn‘t have that big an impact on your ability to do basic things. That is my job Monday to separate those two components, the fact that we don‘t have a forward line – what does that mean from a ball movement point of view.‘‘

Roos said the enormous gap between the top and bottom of the ladder was startling and obvious.

‘‘There‘s a big difference between top and bottom last year. The Eagles had a lot of injuries. They are a top four to six side so you can see with an 18-team competition the difference between the best and the worst. There is a big gap. You can‘t run away from it. You can‘t hide.‘‘

The Demons did not kick their first goal until seven minutes into the second term, through Shannon Byrnes.

While it was a poor day for most Demons, co-captain Nathan Jones again stood out with a gutsy performance in the midfield, finishing with a game-high 34 possessions.

Even West Coast coach Adam Simpson wasn‘t happy. ‘‘We started pretty well and we lost our way a little bit there,‘‘ he said. ‘‘Fortunately we kept the scoreboard ticking over. Overall, it was a frustrating game.‘‘

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/paul-roos-savages-melbourne-players-for-shocking-errors-20140330-zqors.html#ixzz2xUphRIKp

Apparently it has come as quite a shock that Melbourne have some footballers who are not very good, and in particular not very disciplined, at playing football. He has not had to deal with this in his prior expereince. All of this is quite disturbing who's watched Melbourne at any point since 2007.

I'll give him a tip & save him some time:

Anyone named "Nathan Jones" please leave the room.

Right now. The rest of you, every last one, you're on notice.

Since 2007, Melbourne has won 34 of 156 games.

At the end of the TV deal, the networks will ask why they are forking out so much for 9 games a round when at least one every week is a dud match that people won't tune into.

Melbourne should be merged with either the Bulldogs or Norf, or just merge all three teams together so we have even number of teams. Puts everyone out of their misery.

I'll give him a tip & save him some time:

Anyone named "Nathan Jones" please leave the room.

Right now. The rest of you, every last one, you're on notice.

Unfortunately for Roos, you cannot intimidate people into competence.

Tough gig for Roos but he is capable of turning it around and knows what it takes.  He played at Fitzroy and left when he knew there was no chance, he played at Sydney in their darkest days and came out the other side and eventually lead them as coach to win a GF.  There is going to have to be some serious change over of playing personnel before they can fix it though.

Melbourne are basically Carlton early 2000s bad, but poor and with compromised drafts, free agency, and less leeway for *cough* third party deals. And, I guess, no priority picks any more. It took Carlton a decade to get back to their current state of mid table mediocrity, presumably Melbourne will take even longer.

Fitzroy won 38 of their last 152. Just sayin'...

I would appoint a proven coach for 2-3 years and see what is produced at the end of that term.

Fitzroy won 38 of their last 152. Just sayin'...

Fitzroy team of 95-96 would beat the Melbourne team of 12-14

Jack Watts and John Rombotis on the same field

enjoy the salary cap roosy

Just to prove my point from above.

Fitzroys last team vs Melbournes team from yesterday. I see winners all over the ground for Fitzroy.

B: Warfe, Paxman, Morton

F: Howe, Fitzpatrick, Byrnes

HB: Clayton, Molloy, Dent

HF: Watts, Pederson, Toumpas

C: Bamford, Pike, Carter

C: Trengove, Tyson, M.Jones

HF: Barker, Hawking, McCarthy

HB: Grimes, Mcdonald, Cross

F C. Jonhson, Hogg, Warry

B: Dunn. Frawley, Turlich

R: Primus, Boyd, Adkins

R: Spencer, Jones, Vince

INT: Chandler, Doyle, Rombotis

INT: Georgiou, Bail, Viv Michie

Never going anywhere with a coach who includes “y’know” in most sentences.

Seriously, I heard his press conference last night, and it was, y’know, ridiculously peppered with that.

Roosey

"I will just make changes and just make statements and that is what footy is."

Um...

Reality bites, new coach fair and square on the bum. First step to solving a problem is to recognize that a problem exists. Baby steps. No special favours anymore. Melbourne is in the predicament if now finds itself because of their accumulated incompetence over the years, and because the AFL have treated them like a long lost love child. They are now finding out what everyone else knows, life is tough, get used to it. Could be some cheap trades come the end of the season. Jack Watts, WSPHU. 

Tough gig for Roos but he is capable of turning it around and knows what it takes.  He played at Fitzroy and left when he knew there was no chance.

He certainly did. And mentioned before he'd coached a game for the Dees about finding a succession plan. So you know he's in it for the long haul.

Just to prove my point from above.

Fitzroys last team vs Melbournes team from yesterday. I see winners all over the ground for Fitzroy.

B: Warfe, Paxman, Morton

F: Howe, Fitzpatrick, Byrnes

HB: Clayton, Molloy, Dent

HF: Watts, Pederson, Toumpas

C: Bamford, Pike, Carter

C: Trengove, Tyson, M.Jones

HF: Barker, Hawking, McCarthy

HB: Grimes, Mcdonald, Cross

F C. Jonhson, Hogg, Warry

B: Dunn. Frawley, Turlich

R: Primus, Boyd, Adkins

R: Spencer, Jones, Vince

INT: Chandler, Doyle, Rombotis

INT: Georgiou, Bail, Viv Michie

Plus you'd have to think they wouldn't have lost Roos, Boyd, and a few others if the writing wasn't on the wall - where would Melbourne be minus Frawley & Jones?

Id sell Melbourne for a snickers and a packet of samboy chips and be done with ti

Id sell Melbourne for a snickers and a packet of samboy chips and be done with ti

BBQ?

BBQ?

Prob asking a bit much BBQ - Might have to settle for original on special from coles, Oh and the snickers must be the fun size.