What to do with Melbourne?

I think Melbourne are going about it the right way. At least they are getting the ball in their hands. Yes they are over using it, but it's better than them chasing tail all day like they did last year.

Unfortunately for them they are missing their three key forwards in Clark, Dawes and Hogan. Having one or two of those players back will straighten them up and give them a focus up front. The recruitment has been good of late. Trading pick two for Tyson was good management. Tyson has a couple of years of conditioning under his belt (though he has been injured a fair bit), and looks a very good player. I think he's already better than Trengove. Toumpas looks very good too.

I can see them climbing the ladder next year and getting out of the bottom four. Everybody thought Port were a basket case a few years ago, and now they look like a top four team.

Id sell Melbourne for a snickers and a packet of samboy chips and be done with ti

BBQ?
Prob asking a bit much BBQ - Might have to settle for original on special from coles, Oh and the snickers must be the fun size.
No way you're getting Samboy, it has to be home brand.

"I will just make changes and just make statements and that is what footy is."

Um...

They need more than statements.

I really don't know what happens if their big, unimpeachable, untouchable, in-it-for-the-long-haul marquee coach tosses it in, or gets sacked. He's a flog but whoever it is needs time, lots of it.

They need someone with brass balls to build, patiently, with no (or at the least very few) shortcuts, and do it right. On-field leaders. An administration. A game plan. Ambition to learn, to improve, to be competitive, to win. And guys who want to do what the leaders say to execute the game plan.

It's hard to see any of the above. There's something deeply, awfully wrong.

Id sell Melbourne for a snickers and a packet of samboy chips and be done with ti

BBQ?
Prob asking a bit much BBQ - Might have to settle for original on special from coles, Oh and the snickers must be the fun size.

What if we swung by Aldi or Costco? Or is this asking to much?

I think Melbourne are going about it the right way. At least they are getting the ball in their hands. Yes they are over using it, but it's better than them chasing tail all day like they did last year.

Unfortunately for them they are missing their three key forwards in Clark, Dawes and Hogan. Having one or two of those players back will straighten them up and give them a focus up front. The recruitment has been good of late. Trading pick two for Tyson was good management. Tyson has a couple of years of conditioning under his belt (though he has been injured a fair bit), and looks a very good player. I think he's already better than Trengove. Toumpas looks very good too.

I can see them climbing the ladder next year and getting out of the bottom four. Everybody thought Port were a basket case a few years ago, and now they look like a top four team.

Yes but you are forgetting that they have the worst development programs in the league.

BBQ?

Even a snickers is asking abit much. I'd be offering a Moro

BBQ?

Even a snickers is asking abit much. I'd be offering a Moro

Perhaps another trip to costco and buy the no name brand milky ways?

Fitzroy won 38 of their last 152. Just sayin'...

How many of those 38 wins were against Essendon?

1 from memory in 94?

I love that this is happening to both Melbourne and to that sanctimonious twit Roos.

Yes but you are forgetting that they have the worst development programs in the league.

Port also had a lot of players re-sign who were in very high demand elsewhere and a few others actually moved from others clubs to Port (Ebert, Monfries).

Melbourne has only been able to sign Clark (who is now on personal leave).

Port also had a lot of players re-sign who were in very high demand elsewhere and a few others actually moved from others clubs to Port (Ebert, Monfries).

Melbourne has only been able to sign Clark (who is now on personal leave).

and Dawes. Probably surpassed the ABC politcal satirists as the funniest combination by that name too.

1 from memory in 94?

Melbourne has had a few more than that against Essendon so we shouldn't be getting too cocky.

Had the worst development program. They have a new football department, and Paul Roos knows a thing or two about winning games of footy.

Personally I would rather be in Melbourne's position than Carlton's. Melbourne will improve, but Carlton have SFA young talent, and they will get worse before they get better. Much worse. Melbourne have already bottomed out, and will improve from here. I reckon their best 22 looks pretty promising (I've probably missed a couple, I don't know there list that well):

B: Garland Frawley Grimes

HB: Terlich McDonald Dunn

C: Watts Tyson Trengove

HF: Toumpas Dawes Vince

F: Howe Clark Hogan

Foll: Jamar Jones Cross

Inter: Fitzpatrick Viney Byrnes

Sub: Kennedy-Harris

You've also got Salem, Barry, Georgiou, Michie and a few others who look like they could step up. At the moment they are missing a lot of structurally important players in Clark, Dawes, Hogan and Jamar, as well as a few handy types in Viney and Garland.

If they're relying on Jamar getting back, things are worse than we thought.

Anyone know (or care) what the go is with Clark?

Didn't they give him personal leave?

In 2010 Jamar was All Australian. The problem with him is getting out on the park consistency.

That defence looks terrible and the fact that Fitzpatrick, JPK and Byrnes are in the 22 probably says they are very very far away.

In 2010 Jamar was All Australian. The problem with him is getting out on the park consistency.

That's nice, so was Barry Hall.

And I know who's in better nick, despite being retired for 2-3 years.

Jamar's body has always been iffy, now he's 31, and looks like he doesn't give a stuff any more.

Read it again - all. sorts.

That was 4 years ago. He is long past it.

Dawes is a deadset hack who was made to look good by the elite midfield at collingwood and by the fact the Cloke always took away the 1st defender.

That defence looks terrible and the fact that Fitzpatrick, JPK and Byrnes are in the 22 probably says they are very very far away.

I think the defence looks solid. Garland and McDonald are better than many think. Garland in particular is a very good defensive player. If Grimes was playing half-back for a big club, he would be knocking on the door of All Australian selection. He is a class act. Terlich is more than handy, and Frawley is one of the best key defenders in the league. I probably should have squeezed Nicholson into that team too.

Fitzpatrick probably would make way for Gawn or Spencer, depending on who their next best ruck is. But he is very athletic and good below his knees for someone so big. I reckon he can play. I though JPK looked promising so far this year. I'm not sure Byrnes will play beyond this year, but he has been just about their best player this season, so I had to include him.

Personally I think their best 22 is pretty good. They just drop away when they need to replace those guys with the likes of Jetta, Blease, Tapscott, Strauss, Bail, Matt Jones, Pedersen, Clisby, Riley etc... They need to clean out a few of those players. They have had such a wretched run with injury that we've never seen anything close to a best 22 out on the ground, and injured players have been replaced with spuds.