What's gone wrong

Some of us were surprised Bird didn’t get more of a run last year and were slightly bemused that he was delisted. I’m not saying Bird solves the problems in the slightest… but I wonder if we weren’t too hasty to abandon the inside game.

2 Likes

His Kicking isn’t super elite but he marks, plays on and decides quickly. He plays direct and is aggressive with the ball. That generates momentum. His kicking may not always hit the man lace out but equally it is rarely his kick into the middle which gets chopped off. He does make good decisions with the ball for the most part.

3 Likes

To follow up on my email the club thing, im dead serious. One person starts doing it. 5 people start doing it. 20 people start doing it. Then 1000. They will get the point

It’ll force change.

[email protected]

3 Likes

I think Green being out is hurting us more than people have been willing to acknowledge

5 Likes

What makes people think Caracalla would want to leave a premiership contender to come to our shitshow?

Partially given he was swung on missed on applications to us in the past

2 Likes

Did you ever get a response to your 1st email?

Because we showed such loyalty to him?

1 Like

went from geelong to richmond…

2 Likes

I’m not sure that it’s that Gleeson has this ‘play it forward’ spirit (to be honest league wide I think he’s an average HBFer) but it’s that so few of our players do.

Robert Walls is not always a font of wisdom, but I recall him observing on numerous occasions that when players first instinct is side ways or backwards you can pretty much stick a fork in them. He was referring to Chapman (still at Geelong then) when making this comment. Chappy was still getting a game but had become king of the “unnecessary u-turn”, buying himself a meter or two every time he got it because he was scared of being run down. Even though Chappy won Geelong a final that year he was delisted, they saw it.

Unfortunately, we’ve got a whole bunch of players who do this exact same maneuver with regularity, and the net effect is that it kills our forward momentum and makes life so much easier for the opposition.

I’d list the following as momentum killers of the highest order:

• Baguley, Myers, Goddard, Hurley, Hartley

Some might add Hepp to that list but I thought he played with the right intent on the weekend.

I think that replacing a few of the above and we may look a different team

He is mates with Dimma

not with harvey?

I should setup email forwarding to that address every time you post :laughing:

1 Like

I have sent an email. We either care or just give up.

agree
with Begley our too much pressure on Joe
also no protection from anywhere- teammates or players
play Smack next to him
cant do any harm

agree
with Begley out too much pressure on Joe
also no protection from anywhere- teammates or umpires
play Smack next to him
can’t do any harm

Don’t think he said that.

Scarey this is a detailed and considered post (much more to it that what I’ve quoted). However, isn’t there an expectation that you can work with people even if you don’t like them?

Have people realised that Richmonds small forward line is no more than midfield rotation throughout the game. This equals fresh legs. So many tall players does not allow us to do this.

Edit: We also lack a potent midfield… So there’s that too.

3 Likes

Two threads enter! One thread leaves!

1 Like

did you ever end up getting a reply to your email?