Whats our game plan?

Would that be sustainable, though?

I could be even more succinct than John.

“Win”

Not really, but it would certainly give us a better indication of whether the problem is the playbook or the talent

My personal favorite was when Draper got the free kick about 80m out. The camera was panning from above and you could clearly see Josh Battle sitting there as the loose man just in front of a manned up Stewart about 30m out. In my head I was screaming and trying to use the force on young Draper "DON’T KICK IT LONG TO THAT SPOT, DON’T KICK IT LONG TO THAT SPOT’, but the dark side is strong in this team and fear controlled him. Darth Whoosha has once again defeated Jedi Blitz, but we will be back.

P.S. I watched Star Wars- A New Hope the night before.

1 Like

Could it both?
And if so, what would you do about it?

the gameplan is surely richmonds gameplan, otherwise what was the point of recruiting 2 of their coaches ?

the implementation of it is under 12 stuff however.
it’s all the little things that people have brought up over the years. it’s a bad culture lead by unsuccessful players who were taught by unsuccessful players about culture and standards.

Close enough is good enough, and that’s the motto. close enough with kicks, handballs attempts at tackles, it’s all good as long as you walk off the ground with a smile, you can sell whatever you want to the supporters.

the worst part is, the opposition players seem to know better where we are either suppose to be going or end up going.
can you honestly remember a long kick out of defence to a pack having more essendon players at the contest ?

1 Like

So the Matthew Knights game plan. I LIKE!

i think it just goes to show how pointless stats without context are.
and if anyone is judging the clubs performance based on them, oh boy we are really ■■■■■■.

If it were both we’d be bottom of the ladder. One or the other is preventing us from being any better than we currently are.

I personally don’t expect to win with all the injuries that we have, but the clear confusion being seen on the field is incredible. I’m sure I saw a player run away from the player with the ball to setup the structure. I’m pretty sure we have no idea what is going on at the moment.

I don’t expect anyone to come up with a clear explanation and path forward, unless they are either on the coaching panel, or somewhat delusional. But we can talk in generalities, as footy fans and couch critics. On your comment, my opinion is that it is never as black and white as that. If only problems weren’t complex, and fixing one thing would right the ship. Unfortunately, everything is linked, and even more so, when things happen quickly involving many people - and even more so when there is an active disruptive force opposing you.

2 Likes

Oh absolutely. I thought it went without saying that I’m just some nuffie passing the time.

2 Likes

There inlies a big issue and question.
Are the players not implementing the gamestyle rutten wants, simply cos they know they have so much power at the club, and if they hold out long enough, they’ll get their own way ?
knights got the sack
neeld got the sack

so they know that if they just hang out long enough, as someone mentioned above they’ll have the “shackles” released and they can go and play the footy they want too.
the way they want to that has never produced any great results.
people use the end of 2018 as proof it worked yet when you look at it.
they still lost to richmond x2, collingwood, hawks.
yeah they did beat geelong, gws and west coast early doors after neeld was sacked. but look at the other wins surrounding that.
lions, gold coast, saints, north etc etc.
ring any bells ?
sorta like this year with wins against 18,17th,16,15th etc

Our game plan to my eye is actually to run the ball, not kick long and slow down the line. But it’s a mess at the moment, not least because st Kilda knew exactly who and where the ball was going too before it did.

We tried to do all our work inside a phone box , flicking the ball around to close players instead of spreading it further afield and THEN running it into space. When it broke down, we then had too many numbers inside who were left behind and no one to pressure the saints takeaway.

1 Like

Whats our game plan?

What’s a game plan? Haven’t seen one for five years.

I feel they’ve been instructed to handball going forward as much as possible. There were a few times yesterday where we would handball handball handball out of the back 50 but we’d just end up giving it to someone under pressure or miss the target and turn it over.

She’s actually got a football brain. The blokes all ignored her for a long time, but some of them now are beginning to realise that when she says something it’s generally worth listening to.

2 Likes

:rofl: When I used to play basketball the coach used to teach us our offences in the pub with a bunch of coins. Wasn’t too complicated

1 Like

Did you notice just how stagnant our progress was from the back half throughout most of the first half? Like we were spinning our wheels without knowing where or how to advance?

3 Likes

StKilda are really good at contested marks, I noted their work defensively was excellent.

When were being beaten in this area, unsuprising given our team in, it was strange that this was the game plan.

We needed to push harder to try and instead break the press and move the ball through the corridor by hand.

Saints played the game on their terms. Started by a dominant display by their ruckmen and hard running imo.