What's the hell happened to sport?

What the hell has happened to sport? This wonderful, simple thing that we all grew up with, the reason why we all waste so much time on Blitz, has entirely lost its lustre, its essence, and certainly its innocence.

Just a quick snapshot:

Tennis: Emerging allegations of widespread match-fixing, and potential corruption at governing bodies
Soccer: Proven instances of match fixing, endemic and widespread corruption at FIFA
Australian Rules: Integrity / Corruption issues at the AFL
Swimming: Widespread doping issues, governance issues with advanced swimming suits
Cricket: Match fixing issues, corruption at the ICC, freezing out of smaller nations by Ind/Eng/Aus
Athletics: Widespread and sustained doping issues
American Football: Doping issues, potential corrupt conduct by some teams, problems with attitudes towards women
Rugby League: Salary cap problems with premierships reversed
Baseball: Sustained doping issues by very high profile players
Cycling: High profile and widespread doping issues

I’m sure there’s many many more to list but I really can’t be bothered.

I think its officially time to conclude that money has ruined sport. Money is the root cause of most of these issues above, whether its athletes wanting to win so they can get that next big contract, or throwing games / outcomes for money, or officials who have been corrupted by money. Its so sad but I think its time to officially recognise the fact that sport, as we know it, has certainly been tainted if not ruined irreparably.

Where did it all go wrong? Will our kids grow up with the love for sport that we did? And if so, should that be encouraged or discouraged given the current realities?

Where there is money there is corruption.

1 Like

Money
/thread.

I agree. But money’s not going anywhere. Is there anything that can be done or will we be bemoaning the same issues 20 years from now?

A complete betting ban would be a good start.
But that’s about as likely as banning sport itself.

When sports went from amateur to professional everything changed. It’s no longer a past time it’s now a job.

So yep money is the issue. Especially when fat cat administrators can just get rich by adding very little value to the sport. Look how many people the AFL employs. Why the hell do they need their own media department when there are plenty of other non independent media organisations willing to pedal the company line. The money makes it a self for-filling prophecy- they need more of it to keep ‘growing the game’ and their own bank balances.

Get rid of money from the organisations that run the sports and things will change.

A complete betting ban would be a good start. But that's about as likely as banning sport itself.

You can start with the spot betting and stuff like First Goal.

Match results and finals appearances should be OK.

Ban farkin betting. Full stop. That would sort out the majority of ■■■■.

Ah, I see I’m not original.

Ah, I see I'm not original.

No, but you seem touched by greatness.

When sports went from amateur to professional everything changed. It's no longer a past time it's now a job.

So yep money is the issue. Especially when fat cat administrators can just get rich by adding very little value to the sport. Look how many people the AFL employs. Why the hell do they need their own media department when there are plenty of other non independent media organisations willing to pedal the company line. The money makes it a self for-filling prophecy- they need more of it to keep ‘growing the game’ and their own bank balances.

Get rid of money from the organisations that run the sports and things will change.

I heard some discussion on this recently. Apparently the AFL employs around 650ish people equivalent full-time, (which is around 100% up on 5 years ago), and their wage bill has increased around 300% in the same period. So they are employing more people and paying them more.

The English Premier League employs 63 people full time.

farking betting is an interesting concept.

XYZ to get some ‘action’ by the weekend - $2.50

Ah, I see I'm not original.

No, but you seem touched by greatness.

Show me on the doll where the greatness touched you.

Should go each way

When sports went from amateur to professional everything changed. It's no longer a past time it's now a job.

I heard some discussion on this recently. Apparently the AFL employs around 650ish people equivalent full-time, (which is around 100% up on 5 years ago), and their wage bill has increased around 300% in the same period. So they are employing more people and paying them more.

Is that the AFL directly? Or including the clubs?

That said, someone from work left to go work in the AFL’s media department. Never been a happier day in my life to see the back of them (except perhaps their predecessor)

Should go each way

You mean bet 69 dollars ??

The only difference I will add is that the AFL is also FIFA and the FA all rounded into one. But still their are too many mouths at the trough looking for a big payday for not actually playing.

Corruption has been in sport for over a hundred of years - It evens goes back to the first Olympic Games - Sometimes its easy to imagine things.

Should go each way

Noice

Should go each way

Noice

I’ve gone the multi.